Cameras

505boogie

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give me a little overview about your experience with the G1, how you like it/how it handles. I'm looking at a G2 for colour negative/slide stuff. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews, I know the Zeiss glass is great. But how do you like the camera/focusing/controls?

For starters I really like this camera. It feels good in the hand and pretty light too, makes for a good travel camera. And yes the Ziess glass is great. It works great on full auto, the focus seems to be very accurate. I dont have anything comparable, nor have I used any other rangefinders with interchangeable lenses so I dont have much of a baseline. One issue I have is when I shoot on manual focus/exposure, sometimes I forget it isn't on auto and end up with an out of focus photo. I do worry that since the camera is fully electronic (autowind/load, focus, etc) it may be a pain to get repaired. Believe me if i had Leica money I'd get one of those, but since i dont, this will do. just need another lens or two...

Sweet cameras Chop. I have a Rollei 35 (not all black like that--does your lens pop out?) but film always jams in it.

Thanks! Yeah the lens does pop out. I have had one roll mess up on me this summer but I think it was my fault for not closing the little switch thing on the bottom, I dunno.

I know a few of you seem to test out newer cameras on a semi regular basis, and was curious if anyone has played with a Fuji X100? As anyone who has been on here for a few years has possibly noticed, I rarely take photos these days, and have started to realize that it's because I can't justify carrying my DSLR unless I'm going out with the sole intent of shooting photos. Clearly the simple solution would be to buy a decent compact, like a Canon S95, but i have a really hard time giving a shit about a digital camera that doesn't have a viewfinder and little substance to it, for easy aperture and shutter speed adjustments, and quality photos. It's completely out of my price range unless I sold a my D90/lenses and my F100 that I haven't touched in 5 years, but it still intrigues me.

6a00e554f882e98834013487810b62970c-800wi

Edit: 23mm, f2. droool.

its okay, it looks good. The viewfinder is nice but no RF focus. The fuji menus are the worst of any menu system there is... The camera feels good, and looks good but it's really just not as fun to use as it looks. I think it's the lack of RF focus that gets me. It's just a dressed up high end point and shoot like a g12 or p7100.

Wait for the interchangeable lens system fuji is about to drop, we will see how much better it is. Plus you could likely get adapters to put leica lenses on em.

I got to try out the gx1 the other day and it is sweet. Expensive but upping the ante in the m4/3 game. Feels great in the hand and the external viewfinder is great. Digital but good.

I'd suggest getting a stack of disposable cameras or just a handy film point and shoot. The excitement waiting for a roll of film and the surprise of how they turn out is always so fulfilling I find. So here's a list.

Yashica t4

Contax t2

ricoh gr1 series

nikon 28ti

olympus stylus - easiest to find and cheapest. Don't sleep on these though.

I've considered going back to film quite a few times, but it isn't worth it to me without access to a darkroom. I shoot too infrequently and in very small amounts, to the point where digital makes a lot more sense in terms of convenience/practicality. And if i'm shooting color slide film, I hate mediocre scans by stores/myself. It definitely still has an appeal, but not quite enough to make me do it.

Also, I definitely hadn't read anything about their interchangable lens camera. cool: http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/16/2565970/fujifilm-lx-mirrorless-camera-leaked

double edit: In defense of your argument though, if i were to actually spend that much money on a camera, i could buy a leica or a mamiya and probably be just as happy shooting film. Any which way, I can't actually afford any of it.

Yeah as far as explaining myself my argument wasn't very good. But I took the x100 out to street shoot and well it was really easy but I may as well have had something even more discreet and much smaller that would do the same thing. A fast point and shoot is actually the best thing you can street shoot with...

I think my issue with the more discreet and smaller digitals is that none of them have a viewfinder, and most of them are going to struggle to produce quality photos in lower light situations. You also have some issue with sensor size, but that's debatable since I'm not actually doing large prints or anything. I think the reason that the x100 seems appealing to me is because it's kinda between a compact and a dslr in terms of size/capability/features. As I said though, it's all wishful thinking unless I were to sell other cameras.

The x100 can be a dope camera, if you get used to all it's small quirks. Personally I can't use it because I'm used to true rangefinder focusing, but for someone looking for great quality/colours in a compact camera it's awesome.

It's not a rangefinder and wasn't made to be one so that's really a non-issue.

The build is great, it looks awesome and feels nice to shoot. You've got an APSC sensor in it anyway (same size as a standard DSLR) so it's far ahead of any compacts on the market.

It's better then most of the entry level DSLR's anyway, except that you can't change the lenses, but most of them are fairly cheap and crap in that level. Of course it has its flaws, but once you find a work around then it could become the perfect camera for you. A lot of cameras have known issues that people can work with and produce great stuff from.

A mate of mine picked up an x100 and made a blog just for the stuff he shoots with it, check it out. Everything from long exposures, street shots, landscapes and food -

http://www.charlieonehundred.com/

I was thinking of getting one, but I'm going to get an M4 instead. Digital and me just don't get along at the moment. A fast point and shoot is good for hip shots but when you really want to compose an image and get the best quality a point and shoot is going to make things harder. No manual focus, often no viewfinders unless it's a 35mm camera but even then it's small and they're usually quite loud.

I love my little compacts, but I love shooting rangefinders too, sometimes I'll still carry my F4 around with me. It's all personal in the end. Go and hire an x100, shoot it for a week, get used to the settings, see how YOU like it. I've bought cameras in the past that everyone has hated but I've loved. People use things differently, in fact lately I've come across a photographer in Sydney that takes better shots then I ever have with his iPhone -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oggsie/

Anyway!! In other news, I'm selling my M8 and getting a chrome M4 w/goggled 50 summicron

2445039228_e90544aae1.jpg

Fuck I haven't been able to log in for days. Finally could post this.

I've looked into a possible rental, but it seems to be foolishly expensive. I know one of the big complaints I've been reading about the x100 is how bad the manual focusing is. Quite frankly, it doesn't concern me too much because it's something that should be fixable via a firmware update. I'm sure fuji is aware of the complaints, so I would assume they are working on a fix. If I'm in a hurry or it's something I need to shoot before it moves/changes/whatever, AF is fine. Otherwise, for landscapes and architecture and stationary shit, I'm generally a slow shooter. If i have to stand there for a minute fiddling with my settings and focus to get the shot I want, it doesn't phase me

I might try to get down to my local store this next week and see if they have one I can play around with, but it seems like the type of camera that i'd need a few days to work my way through the learning curve. It's also always torturous to go play with cameras and accessories that you know you can't have, haha.

Thanks for the opinions from both of you. Also, thanks for the link to your friends blog, daily. A lot of really nice photos on there, and its good to see a wide array of different shots with it.

You want to buy one? Why buy a 2004 model camera that has been replaced by 4 newer models?

Just buy a 60D or get a used 50D.

Or be cool and buy a Nikon.

I dont do Nikons and I allready own the 20D for a couple reasons but I was just curious to see how people like the camera in general if you have used or owned it.