Cameras

505boogie

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used some Amazon gift card birthday money to get myself this camera:

5846589367_71986e90df_z.jpg

It's labeled Aviva, but it's made by Great Wall--you can see "Great Wall" on the lens. Rebranded Aviva for some reason.

It's a replica of a Fujica ST-F, which I've never heard of.

It's all made out of cheap plastic. But it has an actual viewfinder (it's an SLR) and a light meter. It's like a toy camera, complete with vignetting, but you can tell if it's in focus and exposing correctly.

Urgh, hopefully they don't make that. It's just another thing that's going to make everyone a 'professional' soon. Anything that's done after the image is captured I would class as post processing though, not photography.

And not to sound like an elitist but the threat of true photographers losing work to these 'weekend warriors' with new technology is pretty real. In the past month I've lost a few jobs just because someone has undercut me and offered to take the same photos for $20.

Back to cameras though, picked this up. Working on a project at the moment combining 35mm stills and a short 8mm film.

Canon_310XL_2a.jpg

Someone just sent me another article on the Lytro thing, they've even got interactive examples.

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/06/22/lytro-is-developing-a-camera-that-may-change-photography-as-we-know-it/#more-28945

Their promo video sucks, haha. "Shoot now, focus later".

In other news, the Leica M9-P is going to be released next month. The Hermes Hammertone edition is already out, I think 100 models were made. But it's super ugly in my opinion.

It looks too good in black paint though.

Leica-M9-P-Camera.jpg

Video of production

8mm film is so expensive. Are you developing it yourself? I wish it was cheaper. My son would love to mess around with it. We have cameras/projector/screen/etc. My husband used to do super 8 of the kids when they were younger. Even back then it was getting pricey.

Someone recently gave me some rolls of 16mm but those cameras are way more expensive than I can afford right now. Gonna try some out in some 35mm cameras, though, and maybe some others. I like to put the wrong film into cameras.

The Lytro thing is interesting to me because it's so different from traditional photography. It's a next-level technology. Makes me wonder what else will be developed in the future. I'm curious to know who their market ends up being, too. Will people who normally would use a simple P&S use it instead?

I can get 8mm locally for about $12 a roll, which is expensive considering at 18fps that's.. 2 minutes and 30 seconds? But in terms of cost per roll/cartridge I'd be paying $9 retail for a roll of tri-x 35mm.

It's one of those things you just have to shoot carefully with, like Polaroid 600 film because of the cost.

Developing and transfer to disk will be the main cost, but hopefully I can at least get the transfer done for free.

I'd like to develop it myself but that might be a future endeavour.

I'm guessing the Lytro camera/s would be purchased by the mid level enthusiast. Most people with a camera taking holiday snaps wouldn't be too fussed and most pros wouldn't use it either, because they're already using gear specific to their style of shooting.

But their ad does make it seem like they want average Joe to buy it. Share the party photos with your friends and they can pick the focus too. Although that would mean anyone using the photos interactively would need the software on their computer. Marketing! Haha.

But definitely the amateur/enthusiasts or just those who like the new technology coming through photography, like the 3D cameras that are out.

3D still cameras? Hadn't heard about those. You need a viewer or what?

I have a 3D/stereo film camera, it's pretty dang rad. I always thought it'd be cool to do wedding photos with it. Hmm. My daughter's getting married in October...

You can view it in 3D on the cameras LCD, otherwise you need a 3D enabled TV or computer monitor.

I have made stereo images in the past by taping 2 disposable cameras together, I also worked with a few guys who did a stereo show by rigging up two D90's and shooting portraits.

I'm not a fan of the 3D camera idea though, I don't like 3D at all. People have this obsession with it in movies and things because it looks 'so real!'. But I don't understand why you can't just go outside and see the world.

Reminds me of a link someone posted on here of a lecture with someone talking about how the world is becoming a giant RPG game and 'reality' shows have the highest ratings because people crave something that looks 'real'.

Not any of the people on here but the general public do, I know a lot of people who do. I'm gonna wait out this 3D era and hopefully it goes right past me.

FujiFilm-FinePix-REAL-3D-W3-3D-Camera-with-HD-3D-Video-Recording.jpg

That's the camera. Who will the greats be in 50 years, will you walk into a gallery and be surrounded by 3D images coming off the walls at you?

I haven't seen any of the recent 3D movies--was Avatar 3D? Didn't see it. I don't see a lot of mainstream movies, especially in theaters. I wanted to see something recent in 3D, can't remember now what it was--but my husband and kids are all prone to motion sickness and 3D movies make them nauseous.

It could be indeed, and with video too. But I feel that depends on the type of photograph you're looking at, someones snapshots from your city compared to a moment that was carefully framed and captured. I'm just speaking personally of course, a lot of people I know who've actually gone and bought a 3D camera already have done it because they're welcoming some virtual reality. The type of people who want to sit in front of their 3D TV to watch the footy instead of go to the game.

I barely watch TV so the whole idea of that leaves me at a loss, why you'd want to experience real life from your couch.

Although I know stereo photographs have been done since what... The 1800's? But this will definitely change the game in a huge way in a few years. It could be good for some things, I mean 3D graffiti documentation - looking at a wholecar in 3D would be pretty sweet. And stuff like architectural photography. Real estate, hotels, etc..

But substituting going somewhere for seeing it virtually is something that will happen to a lot of people no doubt. Everything has its pros and cons though.

• 2 weeks later...

does yours feel kind of flimsy compared to any other point and shoot? I feel like I'm going to break it soon... I remember someone telling me that there was serious shutter lag with the t4 but after shooting a few shots tonight I thought it was really fast. Compared to my other compacts at least.

I have one, but all I know about it is it's heavy. (One reason I use so many toy cameras--they're light.) I never tried it out. When I'm looking at buying a camera I always check Flickr to see what kind of shots it takes. Have you done that?