Cameras

505boogie

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, so i thought this would be the best place to ask.

i'm going to the Caribbean next month and wanted to get a camera that can take under water pictures, i don't want any thing fancy or too expensive so i was wondering if any of you had experience with that or recommendations?

Panasonic FT10 (Being replaced with an FT20)

Olympus TG-320

Olympus TG-810 (More rugged model, 10m waterproof, better locks)

If you do want to go for the top of the waterproof range. The Panasonic FT3 is good, being replaced with an FT4. Nikon AW100 also has good image quality, but is less solid then the Panasonic. Not as bulky though.

Stay away from Fuji waterproof, they suck, they will leak. Also Canon, they are overpriced and look like shit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so i gave up on the waterproof cameras, figured i'm not gonna be using it that much and i wanted a decent all around camera for cheap so i picked this canon elph300 up yesterday, i really like it so far, haven't done much though, i'll post some pics in the photo thread when i get a chance.

DSC_1203.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After reading countless reviews, keeping up on firmware updates, and lurking forums daily for the last few months, I finally went to a camera store to actually check out an X100 today. Only fiddled around with it for about 20 minutes, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for it in the next week or so. Still a very quirky camera, but they've been steadily improving/fixing a lot of the issues in firmware updates. It was actually smaller than I had been thinking all along too, which is a nice bonus, since I'd like it to be my every day carry camera. I struggle with pulling the trigger on expensive purchases though, so I'm still not positive.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Is this film only or are dslr questions welcome here too?

Here's my question, props for answers.

I'm looking for a cheap(er) dslr to take on the road. I've been travelling with an old olympus point and shoot, namely because I didn't know how long I could make a camera last riding freights and doing shit in the woods, and it's lasted a year. It's filthy, has a large (quarter size) spot of dead pixels on the lcd screen, and the battery cover doesn't close all the way. Now I would just keep on using it till it breaks (and I'll probably keep it in my pack as a backup) BUT I'm sick of the shitty shutter control. I want to be able to screw on a little gorilla pod and hold the shutter open to take decent low light shots. Can't do this for shit on a point and shoot. So what I'm looking for is something I won't be terrified of getting dirty (and that I can clean easier than a point and shoot), with the possibility of changing the lens (would like to carry a wide angle lens for freight shots). Also, whether or not it accepts standard AA batteries is a BIG deciding factor. I'd rather lug around a 24 pack of batteries than have to worry about charging some weird battery type out in a national forest.

tl;dr Looking for beater dslr to travel with, that accepts standard AA batteries, has interchangeable lenses, that I won't be terrified to get dirty.

Look into a Pentax K5, it's just been replaced by the K5 MkII but it's still a great camera for the money. It could be a bit more then what you were looking at spending but the price has dropped recently. Check out different stores.

It's weather sealed, and has the option to get an additional AA battery insert to replace the standard lithium. Some good wide angle options available from Sigma for the Pentax mount.

Anything else is either going to be more expensive to get the same specs (without the AA insert) or cheaper and get fucked up by weather/dirt.

Actually, I think I personally would get a proper, used, small non-digital SLR (or: rangefinder - why not?) and two nice lenses for it -

that would be like 100-150 bucks.

Imagine how much rolls of film you could shoot, including developement and prints / scans, for the price of a decent DSLR...

If you get a fully manual one (without electronics in it) that will be as tough as it gets for outside stuff (additional lightmeter would be required, but hey).

I don't know if that's the best for documenting freights though. Not without fairly sound photographic knowledge. For personal work I shoot 35mm, everything. Fine for that, but I'm getting a digital body for graffiti documentation.

It will still cost a fair amount for colour film and process all the time when you just want good quality travel/freight shots.

I forgot about the Pentax K-7. The older version of the K-5, same battery insert available and still sealed for dust/weather. They're only a couple hundred for the body in good condition.

Otherwise look at something like a Nikon D200 or the Canon 40D, I think they're similar. Good build quality, not designed to be properly sealed like the Pentax stuff, and no AA option. But they'll do the job for you. A few options there.

K-5 looks nice... but fuck, man, it's expensive!

D200 or 40D are nice cameras, but the guy sounded like he really throws the stuff in the mud,

I don't think they will last a long time in his hands.

That's why I suggested analogue equipment an MF lenses -

and I mean how hard can it be to take a picture of a freight wagon?

Anyways, it all pretty much depends on the budget, so there..

• Like 1

Wow, didn't expect all these replies. Thanks for sure.

I would like to not spend over 600 total. Meaning, including strap, case, batteries, gorrila pod, cleaning supplies, etc.

Water damage isn't so much of an issue, its just dust. The camera will be exposed to dust, no matter what. It might even get knocked off a table (but thats only happened twice to my p/s in a years time)

I've got a nice 35mm setup I inherited, I've only shot a couple rolls with it and I still haven't gotten them developed. Its an older Nikon FA, with a couple of spare lenses and a spare flash.

My only qualms with shooting 35mm on the road is I'd have to buy a scanner, as I put everything on Flickr, and I wouldn't be able to upload pictures on the road without spending considerable time and money getting things developed, scanning them, and then mailing the originals back to my homebase. Also, I'd have to brush up somehow on my knowledge of photography. I took a few classes on film photography back in the day, and have developed my own film and prints and everything, but it would take some refreshing to learn how to use all the things i'd need (which i'm fairly positive are with this camera, theres tons of shit I haven't even looked through that came with this thing) to take decent photos. I'd be fucking pissed if I shot a whole roll on the wrong settings and they all came out terrible.

EDIT: I'll update with everything that's in this kit, as theres a couple of lenses and other things I'm not sure about when it comes to quality.

DOUBLEEDIT: I know 600 is barely scratching into the world of DSLRs, but like i said, I don't want my desire to not fuck up my thousand dollar camera to get in the way of getting the shot. If I do end uop getting a new camera and not using my nikon fa, then I'lll probably just be visiting every pawn shop in town with a list of decent cameras.

The 35mm kit in my closet:

Nikon FA 35mm body. Not sure on year, or if that matters.

Sigma Zoom Master 35-70mm lens with sigma hoya hmc 52mm skylight(1b) filter.

panagor pmc auto tele 135mm with same filter

and the nikon lens series 3 28mm f/2.8 was attached to the body.

a flash that doesnt come up on google, "spectrum advanced electronic 25A mini automatic"

and a bunch of weird little plastic things that look they have something to do with the lenses, but arent the protective covers.

http://www.keh.com/camera/Pentax-Digital-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-DP029991131910?r=FE

http://www.keh.com/camera/Pentax-Digital-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-DP07999069682J?r=FE

These 2 would keep you within budget if you could find them through classifieds/eBay, etc.. That would be a good kit.

Otherwise pick up this -

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-DN029990883770?r=FE

Your lenses will fit, they will be manual focus and not as wide as on the 35mm body but they'll still work fine. The D200 is still built very well and I know a few people who've used them heavily for years and they're still going.

Sweet, thanks for the links. I'll keep an eye out on craigslist and at the pawn shops for sure. If not, I'll probably just shoot with my fa. I make enough on the road busking to buy and develop film.

I notice you're in australia, I may be over there this summer (your winter), I assume 35mm film is available at most stores there? Same with mainland EU?