Cameras

505boogie

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, da1ly, that's what I thought of recommending first (a "pro" DSLR),

but then I thought 'wait a second, maybe ask first what the budget is"..

..also these things are really a pita for carrying around all day!

Acer, I don't know how ambitious you are (regarding 'brushing your skills up'),

but if I were you I'd definately take the Nikon, practice a bit, then take it on the road and use it.

It's a fucking great camera, easy and intuitive to use, and it's tough.

It's not that hard to get exposure right and focus on a subject that stands there!

I don't know where you are, but modern labs do the scanning for you for just a few bucks with the developing,

so you have a) developed negatives b) scans on a cd and c) prints of 36 shots for like a tenner (over here).

The zooms you mentioned are not that awesome, but maybe will suffice totally for what you're doing.

What's your flickr ?

Haha, da1ly, that's what I thought of recommending first (a "pro" DSLR),

but then I thought 'wait a second, maybe ask first what the budget is"..

..also these things are really a pita for carrying around all day!

Acer, I don't know how ambitious you are (regarding 'brushing your skills up'),

but if I were you I'd definately take the Nikon, practice a bit, then take it on the road and use it.

It's a fucking great camera, easy and intuitive to use, and it's tough.

It's not that hard to get exposure right and focus on a subject that stands there!

I don't know where you are, but modern labs do the scanning for you for just a few bucks with the developing,

so you have a) developed negatives b) scans on a cd and c) prints of 36 shots for like a tenner (over here).

The zooms you mentioned are not that awesome, but maybe will suffice totally for what you're doing.

What's your flickr ?

Ambitious in the way that I've really got nothing to do for the next few months, and there once was a time when I shot film regularly. So I think I'll get back into it.

That was the impression I got from some online review I read. Supposedly way ahead of its time, and it sells for more used now then it did brand new when it was released.

I'm sure if they put it on a CD for you then they would put it on a flash drive instead?

I don't often zoom in too much, I usually just take landscape photos, or pictures of things right in front of me. I'm sure you'll get a better idea from my flickr. Keep in mind I'm nio professional photographer... just a kid who started documenting freight monikers then started travelling :lol:

flickr.com/benjamin_superbum

I meant 'ambitious to learn how to use a manual camera properly', since you can't check on a display whether everything was right,

but have to be able to rely on your skills / have to exactly know what you're doing or else you'll have missed / fucked up the shot.

If you've already been shooting film for a while once you'll know whether you'll be willing to deal with it I guess.

I always took the CD they gave me and backed up the data to a harddrive, never asked them to put it on a stick but I guess it shouldn't be a problem?

Some nice shot on your stream, the 'food mart' shot for example I like!

Yea I hear ya, I was thinking about that the other night. I guess the only way to ensure you got a decent shot is to "bracket" and get multiple shots of the same thing with different settings.

I hate that there were telephone lines in that shot, but the colors were good. Thanks!

I will be needing something in that range as well, but will likely go Nikon, D7000.

Just used a friends 5D MKII for an afternoon, together with this super funky lens,

I liked it, the camera itself - it's nicer than then Nikon, really, design wise, it's rounder, it's lighter..

..but, having used Nikon the last year I really got used to them / got fond of them.

One main aspect is, really, I can 'hang' the camera in the buckled fingers of my hand,

and it doesn't slip off - Canons grip is smaller / thinner, so it slips immediately.

Oh I so wish they'd build cameras in different sizes...

So i know this is the camera thread but i might as well ask about flash here.

I found a used nikon sb600 (great condition) online for $180 and i also found a used nikon sb700 for $250.

Is it worth paying the extra $70 for the sb700? I would much rather save the $70 but if the sb700 is much better then i i will get it because I don't buy equipment that often. Anyone have both of these? used both?

I won't be using the flash THAT often, I take photos at events once in a while and I am also going to be doing some portraits. I will be using it on camera. It would be cool if you guys could help me out, i was planning on getting one of them next weekend!

And before anyone says "google it" i have, and i've read about both, i'm leaning towards the 600 because the advantages of the 700 i've read don't seem to be THAT much more important.

Also selling a Yashica 124G, Leica 50mm f/2 Summicron, Leica M4 body, Nikon F100 with MB-15 battery grip and 50mm f/1.8D.

And a complete Bronica SQ-AI kit with 80mm f/2.8, 40mm f/4, waist level finder, non-metered prism, speed grip, 120 back, 220 back + all hoods/caps and a Hoya R72 infrared filter.

Just since we're talking about cameras.....

Because I did this today -

tumblr_mf4bcokBYm1qjpv9jo1_500.jpg

Haha. Merry Christmas to myself.

Hey Q, I got your zine, didn't check the post at work for a while though so i just saw it. It was super rad though, best one I've seen, ever. So thank you!

I sent yours out late too. Apologies, retail Christmas means I'm getting slammed from all angles.

Hopefully you'll be getting it soon though!

• 4 weeks later...

I perused a few pages back and didn't see it covered, so sorry.

Years back this thread directed me towards a decent camera that has now finally bitten the dust.

SO.

I'm looking for a point and shoot, I'm not a photographer, just memento type shit, possibly rugged? I'd like to take it hiking/snowshoeing etc, I know I like AA vs battery packs and I'd like to spend less than $250...

it seems like thats a hard price point for good rugged...

thanks in advance

Also selling a Yashica 124G, Leica 50mm f/2 Summicron, Leica M4 body, Nikon F100 with MB-15 battery grip and 50mm f/1.8D.

And a complete Bronica SQ-AI kit with 80mm f/2.8, 40mm f/4, waist level finder, non-metered prism, speed grip, 120 back, 220 back + all hoods/caps and a Hoya R72 infrared filter.

Just since we're talking about cameras.....

Do you still have the bronica or the yashica 124g? My dude is looking for a 124g, and although I just got a bronica s2a, i might not be able to pass a deal on a sq with a 40mm

Do you still have the bronica or the yashica 124g? My dude is looking for a 124g, and although I just got a bronica s2a, i might not be able to pass a deal on a sq with a 40mm

I still have both man, I have the Yashica here and I'm getting the Bronica back off a mate this week. Let me know if you're interested in either. I'm going away in just over a week so they won't be going anywhere for at least a month.