House of Leaves appreciation thread.

King Of Hell

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

;5834775']Summary KOH. What is so disturbing about it. Does it make you remember you will die soon type shit or the world is meaningless' date=' or the point of existence is based upon us thinking the world revolves around our creation. Just a quick summary so i can see if it would be worth the read.[/quote']

This book should be an honorary member of Transcend.

Here I picked this off of amazons site and it's a pretty accurate summary.

"Had The Blair Witch Project been a book instead of a film, and had it been written by, say, Nabokov at his most playful, revised by Stephen King at his most cerebral, and typeset by the futurist editors of Blast at their most avant-garde, the result might have been something like House of Leaves. Mark Z. Danielewski's first novel has a lot going on: notably the discovery of a pseudoacademic monograph called The Navidson Record, written by a blind man named Zampanò, about a nonexistent documentary film--which itself is about a photojournalist who finds a house that has supernatural, surreal qualities. (The inner dimensions, for example, are measurably larger than the outer ones.) In addition to this Russian-doll layering of narrators, Danielewski packs in poems, scientific lists, collages, Polaroids, appendices of fake correspondence and "various quotes," single lines of prose placed any which way on the page, crossed-out passages, and so on."

My cousin told me about it... Said it was scariest thing he'd ever read - I had to read it

I read

I read

I read

I tried

I tried real hard

but the book still fucking sucked... dont get me wrong, it had its moments... but ultimately i spent most of the time interested in the story and wishing that homie reading the manuscript would hurry up and die. I dont know. its been awhile, i remember being utterly disappointed some 800 pages into th book though, and struggling through the last 600 or something... definately interesting though.

so much for appreciation right?

My cousin told me about it... Said it was scariest thing he'd ever read - I had to read it

I read

I read

I read

I tried

I tried real hard

but the book still fucking sucked... dont get me wrong, it had its moments... but ultimately i spent most of the time interested in the story and wishing that homie reading the manuscript would hurry up and die. I dont know. its been awhile, i remember being utterly disappointed some 800 pages into th book though, and struggling through the last 600 or something... definately interesting though.

so much for appreciation right?

It's ok. There are only two rational explanations.

1. You were doing it wrong. Try again.

2. The book decided you weren't worthy. Try again.

This book should be an honorary member of Transcend.

Here I picked this off of amazons site and it's a pretty accurate summary.

"Had The Blair Witch Project been a book instead of a film, and had it been written by, say, Nabokov at his most playful, revised by Stephen King at his most cerebral, and typeset by the futurist editors of Blast at their most avant-garde, the result might have been something like House of Leaves. Mark Z. Danielewski's first novel has a lot going on: notably the discovery of a pseudoacademic monograph called The Navidson Record, written by a blind man named Zampanò, about a nonexistent documentary film--which itself is about a photojournalist who finds a house that has supernatural, surreal qualities. (The inner dimensions, for example, are measurably larger than the outer ones.) In addition to this Russian-doll layering of narrators, Danielewski packs in poems, scientific lists, collages, Polaroids, appendices of fake correspondence and "various quotes," single lines of prose placed any which way on the page, crossed-out passages, and so on."

Sold. I guess ill be picking this up. Ill use December to Read through it.

;5834803']Sold. I guess ill be picking this up. Ill use December to Read through it.

I highly recomend it, but dudes. Let me set forth the warning. Don't read it cynically. Read it with an open mind, and with compassion (ll) for the people in the book. Otherwise, you won't be able to grasp the horror.

not so interested in the book but the typography is awesome. I found it was inspired by a book called Glas by Jacques Derrida and I went to look for it and found out it was out of print. Evenso I can get a copy but it cost 80-100 dollars depending on hardcover or soft...really really bummed out.

havent read the other novel yet. but the book and the small companion book( whalestoe letters) are awesome. Most of the letters are innthe book, but theres more in the small comanion. Dude...im warning you. there ware whole chapters where like....the paragraphs are like short paragraph, short para graph, long paragraph...the size in the paragraphs themselves is morse code.....its just nuts

im right there with you homie... i couldnt finish the whole thing. i started feeling paranoid as fuck when i was reading it... i started feeling depressed and over all sick... its not that the books really scary it just takes up something inside of you thats very unfamiliar... prob sounds crazy but i felt like just having that book in my house was effecting me... so i ended up giving it to a friend. dont know if he ever read it but since then he relapsed on heroin... assaulted and robbed some a number of friends and famiiy and most recently landed him self injail with 13 felony charges... but that may just be off topic. he's actually a piece of shit come to think of it.

Mark Z. Danielewski's first novel has a lot going on: notably the discovery of a pseudoacademic monograph called The Navidson Record, written by a blind man named Zampanò, about a nonexistent documentary film--which itself is about a photojournalist who finds a house that has supernatural, surreal qualities.

This sounds a LOT like a Borges-type story structure. Given that Borges is my favorite author, I'm gonna have to check this out.