MARKER SUPERDUPERTHREAD

FROSTY

Originally posted by shai hulud@Oct 6 2005, 08:11 PM

i think they run about a dollar or two. i'm not too sure, cause i racked it, and i never check the prices. i'm too busy looking out for myself.

:haha: That's the truth...unfortunately, me and two other people have kind of blown up our local store. I never even used to look out. I was thinking about pushing a cart out the front door at one point, but by then they had gotten cameras and a rent-a-cop...that's not me anymore, though. For a while though, It was TOO easy.

I like that angled tip...does it add anything cool to the line? If the foam was firm enough, I could see it being a good thing.

nah, it just comes out all round. but it still covers enough area, you know? gets the job done.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Hey, metro, I was gonna pm you..check those in a couple.

I'm not sure what I can send there, since I am having money problems and misunderstandings with the USPS...but, I'll PM you a link to both of those. I just had a package to Australia rejected because the ink contained xylene! Live and learn.

What's funnier is that they sell xylene there.

Originally posted by straightedge@Oct 5 2005, 11:27 PM

here's one of those bottles that they have at michael's. they're 4 oz. and they have a pretty good nib on them.

twelve2.jpg

i mixed some sumi ink(really runny, but doesn't stay for anything) and some griffin. there's way too much of the bullshit for the griffin to even do anything.

12oz.jpg

and anyone know if the leather dye in a kiwi is any good? i got this off a friend and i haven't tried it out yet. i'm kind of lazy.

twelve.jpg

peace.

isnt that clear bottle basically the same thing as those krink mops?

^You can refill Pentel white pens (100w's...the short stubby ones), and here's the trick. Labor intensive, but possible.

Take a flat head screwdriver, and CAREFULLY pry the metal surrounding the tip assembly. You don't want to crack the plastic. Then, take a pair of pliers and CAREFULLY rock the assembly back and forth till it loosens. I have a special pair of pliers with rubber tips, but you can improvise with rubber bands or tape.

The assembly should come out in one piece if you do this right. At this point, if this works out, you can add whatever's clever to the marker. To reseal, use the pliers to rebend the metal, and cover the edge of the assembly. If you want definite leak protection, use some kind of sealant like Shoe Goo or Permatex around the seam.

I don't think that the tips on these pens last long enough to make this worthwhile, but that's how you do it, in any case.

There's other pens like this out there...this is the most common one by far, though. I'm sure almost everyone has seen the one on the bottom-

ZPEN0444.JPG

BTW, those are cool for the first thirty or so tags, then the tip goes out.

ZMIS9480.JPG

These pens, however, are underrated...and, when I wear them out, I crack them open to get the ink. Get a few of the black ones and do this, and you'll see what I mean. That ink has some pure, concentrated, staining power I can't describe. I plan on selling these someday. Cool beans, I say.

Check 'em out.

Yes, they are...not refillable, though, as far as I can tell. The ink in them is hot shit, though. Either wait for me to get them, or Google them...they're still available.

Those sponge painters would be perfect mops...I've been using similar ones for years.

Originally posted by snake_tooth@Oct 13 2005, 08:36 AM

are the ink in those markathons better than pilot, artline or edding?

There's really nothing to compare it to. I guess if you could imagine Pilot ink, but twice as thick, and with five times the opacity and stain, that would be close. If it came in a bottle, I would buy it, no doubt.

However, there just isn't enough ink in the pen for it to be worthwhile. I'd save up my dead ones, and it would take five or six of them to fill up a regular paint pen. But, I wouldn't buy them for just the ink...they're really good markers. They have a pump button on the back to rejuice the tip. Thing is, Pentel tips SUUUUUCK. But, you're left with some good ink, so crack the back off and pour the ink into something else.

These have become scarce, I noticed it, too. I only know two places that have them, and one of them only carries the dry-erase model.

I think I'm going to order some, before they are discontinued.

Originally posted by shai hulud+Oct 13 2005, 11:54 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shai hulud - Oct 13 2005, 11:54 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-snake_tooth@Oct 13 2005, 08:36 AM

are the ink in those markathons better than pilot, artline or edding?

There's really nothing to compare it to. I guess if you could imagine Pilot ink, but twice as thick, and with five times the opacity and stain, that would be close. If it came in a bottle, I would buy it, no doubt.

However, there just isn't enough ink in the pen for it to be worthwhile. I'd save up my dead ones, and it would take five or six of them to fill up a regular paint pen. But, I wouldn't buy them for just the ink...they're really good markers. They have a pump button on the back to rejuice the tip. Thing is, Pentel tips SUUUUUCK. But, you're left with some good ink, so crack the back off and pour the ink into something else.

These have become scarce, I noticed it, too. I only know two places that have them, and one of them only carries the dry-erase model.

I think I'm going to order some, before they are discontinued.

[/b]

do they have a better stain than garvey?

Originally posted by shai hulud@Oct 13 2005, 11:54 AM

Holy Shit.....What the fuck bro this is unheard of....Fuck id be rackin up shitloads of em if they were rackable and just squeezin the ink out tha filter....

That's the thing about these...IT'S LIQUID INK!!!

But, few stores are carrying them anymore...and, there's no sense in wasting a perfectly good marker to get the ink.

Trust me- if you do find these, get as many as you can, and use them. They work fine, the line is crisp and opaque when the pen is new. But, DO NOT throw them out when the tip wears out, which usually took me a week or two (I draw a lot). Instead, pull the valve out of the back carefully, and you'll see the reservoir...there's another plug there. Pull that, and you'll see the ink. Save it up, and you'll see what I mean. I never tried the other colors, though. The short ones are good for stickers and blackwork, and the thin ones are good drawing markers.

Good luck finding these...they are online, hunt them down.

I briefly worked for a print shop that still had an offset printer inhouse. I did some manual pasteup and worked the counter, while the boss or my friend ran the press. I'll hand it to the guy, he held it down till 1995...keep in mind that this is well after "Adobe" and "desktop publishing" were household words. He closed shortly after I left, and I was sorry to see him go, mainly because it was a great paper and label hookup, but I hate the word "obsolete" more than anything.

About the ink...well, it's really, really thick, like silly putty, almost. The only places that seem to have it are commercial paper stores. It comes in 8 oz. tubs, in what are known as process colors or CMYK. Short for Cyan-Magenta-Yellow-Black, and pronounced as separate letters. CMYK is a color model in which all colors are described as a mixture of these four process colors. CMYK is the standard color model used in offset printing for full-color documents. Because such printing uses inks of these four basic colors, it is often called four-color printing. You can make pretty much any color you want from these, I've seen it done...and, it's a bitch.

Does it have any application in graff? You can tag with ANYTHING- paint, ink, acid, dye, crayons, chalk, rocks, the neighbor's cat...the fact that it's ink simply means it's going to stick around for a while. Printer's ink never seemed like it was worth the trouble, to me. You have to thin it before it flows, and that takes two chemicals, I think...so, time/money/experience all come ino play...and, I can go to the store and buy two dozen bottles of Griffin right now for what I would shell out for something that may or may not work.

It's funny...when the guy asked what printer's ink was, I was shocked, but then I realized that he may not even know what an offest press is...sometimes, 12 oz. makes me feel really old...32 isn't old...is it? I don't care, I'm still a punk kid as far as the world is concerned and that's all right with me. No driver's license, no kids, more toys than is necessary or even healthy, and no money. I laugh at myself a lot because my problems are not that bad, compared to some of my peers who are married and/or have children, and debt up the wazoo.

Right now the reality for me is that it's Friday, rent is paid, I'm drunk, and my girlfriend is out of town...life is pretty fucking sweet right now, friends. Plus, it finally started raining, and that means I can kick it and work at home all weekend, and have an excuse to be a hermit. Word.

Refilling 100Ws is always bit of a pain, i prefer the

old eyedropper routine. In one hand you hold the

pen with the nib removed and a nail down the hole

held in place with your thumb on the top of the nail.

Then you pour the ink into a cup and

suck it up with an eyedropper.

Then while 'clicking' the nail with your thumb

(to operate the valve of the pen) you slowly

press the plunger of the eyedropper so ink

gets into the hole of the pen and is sucked

in until the pen won't take more ink.

The 100W is really good for sneaky

tags in areas with a lot of people moving

around.

The only reason I've considered getting a license was so I could drive people home if they were too drunk, or in case of an emergency. The problem is, I was usually the first one at the party and the last one to leave, if you know what I mean. And, ambulance drivers like to feel wanted, and so do cab drivers. What right do I have to interfere with their livelihood?

And, every time I take a break from the sauce, I'm broke, so even though I'm sober, I can't AFFORD to drive. Besides I never really wanted or felt a need to drive...transit where I live is okay, and I ride my bike everywhere. Thanks, but no thanks.

Lately, I've been thinking, "People keep asking me questions about ink here that I've already covered elsewhere. (not you, snake). Is there a way I can cover EVERYTHING simply?"

And, there is, and I did it...but, I'm not going to post it here...it will be in the ink thread. I'll post a link here when it's done, hopefully today.

Ok... I dont know if this is possible... but what would i have to do to a Pilot (Wide and Broad) to make it fit for krink... would i basically have to gut the shit entirely? could i use the original nib? I just need to know if this has any possiblity of working cause i dont wanna waste a pilot... thanks anyone.