CLOVERFIELD... what is it ?

SADDAM HUSSEIN

The Cthulhu stuff was being tossed around because a weird site (http://www.ethanhaaswasright.com) that showed up recently (and other sites and clues that surround it) seemed to indicate Lovecraft. The site became somehow associated with the movie and that's what started the rumors.

But it turns out that site has nothing to do with the movie.

So I don't know, it'd be ill, but I wouldn't bank on it being Cthulhu.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

couldnt be worse than this movie

t55943eogd5.jpg

not really sure about anymore cthulhu movies... sure the lovecraftian mythos is still going to this very day.. it just seems that the majority of movies are always adapted to either reanimator style ish or cthulhu.

i'd like to see one dealing with his view on space,time and dimensional representation

Cthulhu

cthulhu.jpg

cthulhu.jpg

cthulhu-angry-noodles.jpg

While not the most powerful of the Great Old Ones, Cthulhu is certainly the most well known.

Maybe a priest of the Outer Gods Yog-Sothoth.

Is worshipped throughout the world with particularly large cults in: Haiti, Louisiana, South Pacific, Mexico, the Middle East, Boston and Greenland.

Sometimes said to be the half-brother of Hastur but this may just be a rumour.

Some conflict between Cthulhu and Hastur exist, but little is known about it this at the time.

Currently Cthulhu is trapped under the ocean in his city of R'lyeh.

While trapped under so much water his great telepathic abilities are blocked. He can now only communicate with his followers through their dreams.

Followers of Cthulhu and Tulzscha have cool relations right now. But open conflict is more likely than an alliance, or even peace.

cthulhu.gif

wtf_cthulhu.jpg

Messenger of fear in sight

Dark deception kills the light

Hybrid children watch the sea

Pray for father, roaming free

Fearless wretch

Insanity

He watches

Lurking beneath the sea

Great old one

Forbidden site

He searches

Hunter of the shadows is rising

Immortal

In madness you dwell

Crawling chaos, underground

Cult has summoned, twisted sound

Out from ruins once possessed

Fallen city, living death

Fearless wretch

Insanity

He watches

Lurking beneath the sea

Timeless sleep

Has been upset

He awakens

Immortal

In madness you dwell

Not dead which eternal lie

Stranger eons death may die

Drain you of your sanity

Face the thing that should not be

Fearless wretch

Insanity

He watches

Lurking beneath the sea

Great old one

Forbidden site

He searches

Immortal

In madness you dwell.

i read it's not Cthulhu. some people were saying voltron.

if you listen to the trailer, the "monster" sound, sounds like the "monster" on lost. my money is on some lost tie in shit, but nothing blatant. the season 4 premier of lost is a week or so after the release of the film.

also, the monster in cloverfield is being refered to as the parasite.

One thing Ive always done with movies that I highly anticipate is never watch a trailer and avoid all information regarding the movie. I change the channel and avoid 12oz threads about them. This is my first time hearing about this and will be my last if I can help it.

Ive recently done this with Reno 911, ATHFCMFFT, The Simpsons and Transformers.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/11808/large.html

If you listen close, theres a dude that yells 'I saw it. Its a lion, its huge.' really fast right after they exit the building.

Winner*

YEAH! OK! CHAMP!

The Cthulhu stuff was being tossed around because a weird site (http://www.ethanhaaswasright.com) that showed up recently (and other sites and clues that surround it) seemed to indicate Lovecraft. The site became somehow associated with the movie and that's what started the rumors.

But it turns out that site has nothing to do with the movie.

So I don't know, it'd be ill, but I wouldn't bank on it being Cthulhu.

Don't let that shit fool you. Abrahms has lied before to perpetrate the mystery. It's been proven over and over again that it's all related. He said it'snot related to cloverfeild, but cloverfeild is only a working title. I will bet that its a ruse.

Ethan Haas, Erik Haas, The Mezin, Albert Pike, Slusho....Its all Cthulhu.

HE WILL RISE!

Its not Voltron because of the fact that Voltron is registered to another studio.

Not Godzilla because there is an eight year imposed ban on all Godzilla movies.

Cthulhu.

The battle between the Gods and the Great Old Ones.

Some of which look like four legged bulls or lions...........

I'm always amazed at how in the last twenty years all "monsters" look as if they were inspired by HR Giger. Not to discredit HR G. for what he's done but it would be very interesting to see what space aliens and monsters "look" like if HR G. never became an artist.

I guess I'll go watch these trailers now and see what you bitches are complaining about...

Well...since HP Lovecraft died over ten years before Gieger was born, I'd say he has him beat. Although most of those images are fan boys toying with Lovecrafts descriptions its still all Lovecraft.

I really shouldn't be suprised. I forgot your allergies to reading. I will never forget when I sent you that bound book of all the original transcend club members short stories and the things they did and all their quotes, and you were like "man, I can't read that shit...".

In short: Cthulhu = old H.P. Lovecraft mythos.

Uh, yeah... that still requires some reading there dude. C'mon! You're better than this.

I'm not saying the creatures existence themselves are the mind of HR Giger but the interpretation of how a creature looks... skin, atmosphere... that kind of shit. Looking at those images I get the feeling that I'm looking at a book of art by artists who were inspired by HR Giger.

That said... I know that HR was himself inspired by HP Lovecraft a great deal. I believe that was his biggest influence on his earlier works... the ones he's probably most famous for. So maybe I should just shut up. How do you feel about that?

I can't be bothered right now... the Tour De France is on.

if you listen to the trailer, the "monster" sound, sounds like the "monster" on lost. my money is on some lost tie in shit, but nothing blatant. the season 4 premier of lost is a week or so after the release of the film.

yeah, my money's on a lost tie-in. it'll be one of those flicks you can watch without any previous knowledge of the show, but hype up the ratings because that story will be happening on the other side of the word n' shit. kinda like the whole lost series was a warning of some sorts for the bigger badder situation...

cthulhu.

bet.

RUMOR CONTROL

Hey, everyone. ”Moriarty” here.

If we’re going to talk rumors about INDY 4 this morning, we’ve definitely got to spend a little time talking about CLOVERFIELD.

Now, before you say, “well, how do we know you know anything?!”, let’s take a look back at the first mention of the film here on the site. On June 21st, before the first screening of TRANSFORMERS with the trailer attached, before anyone outside of Paramount had mentioned word one about the film anywhere, we broke the entire story here on the site. Check it out for yourself.

That story was also used to challenge the veracity of a blog that claimed to be about the production of THE DARK TOWER. I’ve since learned that the guy who ran that blog may well have been hired to be on an Abrams film... just not the one he thought he was working on. That may have been the first leak on CLOVERFIELD, but he didn’t know enough to make it worthwhile. I followed up this piece with more details on June 25th, and together, those two stories became the basis of almost everything you’ve read since.

When I wrote that story, I didn’t realize that Abrams was going to be pursuing a sort of veil of complete secrecy around the film, and I didn’t know he’d be creating a game leading up to the release. I actually feel bad that we sort of spelled it out as completely as we did. The one thing that he should be happy about is that no one really knew what the hell CLOVERFIELD was, so they didn’t read the article when I ran it. It certainly didn’t set the world on fire until people saw the trailer themselves, at which point we got flooded with e-mails asking, “What is that trailer? Why don’t you know anything about it yet?”

Well, 90% of everything that’s out there now came from one source, guys. Me. I broke the following facts about CLOVERFIELD exclusively: The title being a cover. It being a giant monster movie shot as if from a hand-held video camera. The low budget on the movie. The fact that Drew Goddard is writing it, and that Matt Reeves is directing it. The fact that the creature is nicknamed “the Parasite” by those working on the film. I described the trailer beat-for-beat before anyone outside the studio had seen it.

And yet nobody is citing us as the source of that information. Check out this asshole. And, yes, I just called you an asshole, Kirk Montgomery, because you’ve passed off other people’s work of the last two weeks as some sort of exclusive on your part. You didn’t learn anything “exclusively,” since everything in your article is regurgitated from other sources. You’re not the first person to simply re-run the information we broke about the movie in the past ten days, but you make it sound in your article like no one else anywhere has already written about the viral marketing sites or the way it’s being shot or the budget. There’s not a single piece of new reportage in your piece, and the way you try to make it sound like you somehow broke this wide open makes you... well... an asshole.

I don’t blame him, though. I’m sure he was told to write a story about this by his editor, and that’s because this has become a huge deal very quickly. Already, we’re starting to see some backlash in the talkbacks, as people talk about the film being overhyped. Fandom moves so fast these days that they’re starting to reject movies that are still shooting based solely on things like release dates or their own illogical expectations. Case in point: the way people started to get really attached to their pet theories about what this film is. “It’s VOLTRON!” “No, it’s a LOST tie-in!” “It’s not a movie at all! It’s just a LOST season four promo!” “No, it’s GODZILLA!” “No, it’s C’thulu!”

And when it turns out to be none of those things, fans are going to hold it against the movie, as if they were promised something. But they weren’t. They’ve been projecting, and they’ve gotten invested in their own ideas, and now they’re going to be mad when the film isn’t what they decided it should be.

Relax. Seriously. In a way, I don’t think JJ Abrams had any idea how much his teaser would set people off, but in another way, I think he got exactly what he wanted.

I have a theory about Abrams. I think he was a biiiiiig fan of Disneyland growing up. One of the great things about going to Disney (I lived near Orlando as a kid, so I always think about the Magic Kingdom when I think of the parks) is the way they don’t just have rides. The rides actually begin the moment you step into the park. Everything on the property is about setting a mood, getting you ready for the rides. When you’re standing in line, you get gradually immersed in these environments that drop you into the world you’re about to visit. Like the grave stones outside the Haunted Mansion or the docks on the Jungle Cruise or the ramps up into Space Mountain. You start the ride before you start the ride, and I think that sums up the attitude JJ Abrams and Bad Robot have towards entertainment now. Don’t scream at Abrams that he owes you all the answers right now. He doesn’t. Not yet. He’s got six months to go before this film comes out, so all he’s trying to do is get you intrigued. Hooked a bit. I’d say he more than accomplished that task. Now let him give you the bread crumbs as a game, and enjoy it. You’ll get onto the ride soon enough, and then it’ll be over, and why rush that? Why not enjoy the build-up?

When you get overexcited, you get an Ethan Haas situation, and people spend a lot of energy that they shouldn’t spend in the wrong direction. To be clear, all the Ethan Haas sites are interesting and well-coordinated, but none of them have anything to do with CLOVERFIELD. Instead, they are marketing for an upcoming game called ALPHA OMEGA by Mindstorm Labs. Cool stuff, but it’s not connected to the film at all.

I think the one thing that’s undisputable about the trailer is that it worked. It got people talking. Not putting a title on the teaser was a genius idea, and someone deserves a promotion for that one touch. I think that, more than anything, got people buzzing. People seem intrigued at the idea of a whole film being shot like that, and that’s pretty much what you’ll get. The film starts with a rescue crew cleaning up after the entire incident, and one of them finds a camera. They rewind the tape, press play... and the playback is the movie that unfolds.

I promise... we’ll keep you updated as more things break on this one, but for now, I think people are actually overanalyzing and they’re starting to invent things, create sites to support their crazy theories, and it’s all turning into such an overwhelming sound that it’s going to start to turn some people off.

Me? I’m excited and intrigued, and I look forward to learning more about the film as it develops.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2007/07/16/cloverfield-1-18-08-updates-coney-island-flashback-and-set-photos/

Although the discussion about the J.J. Abrams’ Cloverfield / 1-18-08 project has been going crazy over at the first post (with 963 comments right now), some updates have hit that just need to be shared with everyone who may be the slightest bit interested. Thanks to Peter over at SlashFilm who has been following this closely, there are a few new set photos, story updates including details on a Coney Island flashback scene that was shot on location, and more!

The most interesting news is that the film will work in a flashback style, where some kids are found at Coney Island after the monster has destroyed New York City and they find a camera and pick it up and watch it from the start. This quote comes from an article at New York Post that's digging further into the film.

“It's about an alien that wipes out all of New York City. The footage is taken the day before everyone dies. A bunch of kids come to Coney Island with a video camera. The movie is a flashback to that day."

The scenes were apparently filmed at the now-defunct and chained-up B&B Carousell, the famous boardwalk and at a hot buttered corn booth. That puts to rest any consideration that it might be Godzilla or Cthulhu or anything else. As has been said before, this is pretty much an original project from J.J. Abrams and his team, and isn't an adaptation of something we might already know.

Here's more confirmation from a different source over at AICN that the film indeed does work this way. Sounds even more exciting? It most certainly does!

“The film starts with a rescue crew cleaning up after the entire incident, and one of them finds a camera. They rewind the tape, press play… and the playback is the movie that unfolds."

For those who are still curious at to the name of the film and are trying to figure out what to call it, whether it be Cloverfield, 1-18-08, or something else, that will all be resolved soon. J.J. Abrams will be at Comic-Con in the panel from Paramount on Thursday afternoon and a source at SlashFilm has confirmed that the official title will be revealed at that time (or so we really hope). We will be at the panel on-hand to be the first to report all of what J.J. Abrams has to say, and possibly even a new clip from the film.

Lastly, a scooper for SlashFilm sent them two set photos that are (unconfirmed) from the actual set of Cloverfield, which has mostly been shooting in Los Angeles. You can see both of the photos, which seem to be quite legit, below.

cloverfield-set-01.jpg

Some details are starting to come together on Cloverfield, but the film still remains a big mystery, and that's what continues to fuel the buzz. It's great to see a project like this really get so much buzz, because in Hollywood nowadays all-too-often a film is drowned with spy set photos, set reports, and too much coverage. This one just took off in a matter of minutes and has quickly turned into something huge.

Make sure you stay tuned, we FS.net will be the first to reveal the news from the Comic-Con panel in our live coverage next Thursday, July 26th

Yet another update:

Hey folks, Harry here.... I'm on the 101 north of San Francisco headed for Eureka, Ca to settle in tonight - and while driving, I had a bit of a Eureka moment with a spy revealing that the below MONSTROUS poster is the first of 3 teaser posters that will lead to the TITLE reveal poster. First we'll have "MONSTROUS" - next we will have "BARBAROUS" - then we will have "FEROCIOUS" - To me - these phrases are not even spoilers - but if you're like me - if MONSTROUS is a headless Statue of Liberty - what images go with BARBAROUS and FEROCIOUS? -- The title? Well, I don't want to spoil it, so you should go ask, Piotr Nikolaievitch Rasputin!
If that happens to be true, then the movie's gonna be called COLOSSAL, which is obviously referring to colossal squid, which of course, suggests Cthulhu's general head shape.

monstrous.jpg

"J.J Abrams mysterious monster film known as Clover, Cloverfield, Slusho, and 1-18-08, has been spotted in high-resolution goodness at Comic Con! Curiously, this is the same poster which bore the title "Monstrous" in some hazy camera phone pics, but it does not carry that title! Hmmmm."

http://www.thetailsection.com/lost-at-comiccon/jj-abrams-monstrous-sighted-at.php

and also:

"Cloverfield is not titled 'Monstrous,' and the title is not lurking around waiting to be discovered. So sorry for getting you all excited."

http://www.thetailsection.com/lost-at-comiccon/lost-cocreators-unveil-two-spo.php