the un official workout thread

podrido

If he doesn't already have it, do us all a favor and be sure to teach that nig gym etiquette.

Fucking co-siiiiiign. I used to see this smelly guy around the gym that was about my age (young) and he would load up hella weight on EVERY SINGLE FUCKING LIFT and srsly almost injure himself EVERY SET. I'm not even exaggerating, I've seen him get stuck under the bench press multiple times and it's kind of funny actually because he's a dumb guy. But anyway, I was doing heavy squats in the power rack, and he's on the goddamn smith machine next to me changing weights, and in the middle of my set, he fucking bumps into the barbell as it's on my goddamn back, knocking me off balance with all this weight (well, at least in regards to my strength.) Dumb. Ass. No. Gym. Etiquette. Having. Motherfucker. I hated that guy. First time I've thought about him in a while!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Also, he would load up a bunch of plates on bench, sitting overhead press station, and smith machine for squats, and NEVER go full range of motion, ALWAYS almost killed himself, and again, NEVER re racked the plates he would not lift in the first place. His row form was uncanny, arched backs all the way brah. Anyway, done talking shit about a guy I don't know at the gym.

• Like 1

My building has a pool so I was doing that for a while. I ate a lot but also did a shit load of coke these past two years. Been clean since Valentine's Day but I also fell off the swimming since then.

There is a gym here but all it has is machines and dumbells and medicine balls. I figure it's good for now because I'm just getting back into the everyday gym thing, but how useful would you guys say cable machines are?

I have gained 20 pounds in the past month but that was from being underweight to what my normal weight should be (185).

Refatdless, it's awesome. I walk in, turn the TV to NHL or Blue Jays and go crazy intense for 40 minutes a night. No breaks.

Progressive overload = add weight, reps, or sets to whatever you did last workout.

Do at least one more rep than you did the previous session or you are spinning your wheels.

It's not always vanity.

Most professional level athletes are on steroids and competing at that level without them is almost impossible.

Talent and genes are great, but when you are competing with lots of other talented and genetically blessed dudes for million dollar contracts, the one who has an added edge is gonna win.

Plus the whole transhumanism, breaking boundaries in human performance, etc...

Let the people supplement as much as they want.

They're already doing it anyway.

A properly braced and arched bench press already works your entire body including core muscles though.

That whole mentality of getting extra core/pec work out of benching with your feet up in the air is a lil short sighted.

I mean, you are trying to move the max amount of weight with good form and overload your upper body pushing muscles.

Why limit that by hoping to get some perceived ab side effects by raising your feet in the air with lighter bench weight when you could just overload the shit out of bench and then do some extra ab shit and progress on both moves with proper intensity?

It's like using lower weight on squats so you can add a calf raise at the top of the move to get extra calf gains.

I've been lurking this thread for a bit now and just recently started working out again after 15+ years. I was taking a power circuit course that included some light cross fit type routines mixed with dead lifts, squats and power cleans. I am also taking some pre-med courses and have been learning about the physiological mechanisms of nutrient uptake and excretion. My question for you fellas is do you do your own research on what supplements to take pre/post workout, or do you just trust the label that what they are giving you is in the right combination to what you need?

I hear all types of conflicting talk about what is right and what is wrong, and when to take this or that.

Also have any of you heard of Onnit? I only know of it from listening to Joe Rogan's Podcasts.

Your thoughts are appreciated....

A properly braced and arched bench press already works your entire body including core muscles though.

That whole mentality of getting extra core/pec work out of benching with your feet up in the air is a lil short sighted.

I mean, you are trying to move the max amount of weight with good form and overload your upper body pushing muscles.

Why limit that by hoping to get some perceived ab side effects by raising your feet in the air with lighter bench weight when you could just overload the shit out of bench and then do some extra ab shit and progress on both moves with proper intensity?

It's like using lower weight on squats so you can add a calf raise at the top of the move to get extra calf gains.

yeah, i get your point. but i only to do it for warm up sets since im only lifting at between 60-80% of working weight anyways. for the next three sets, i use proper form with feet on the floor and go heavy. if i decide to do last set with light weights until failure, i lift my feet again (i actually just put both feet up on the bench itself). i have noticed that lifting feet into air makes me work harder to stabilize myself on the bench, and it makes me focus more on pushing up equally with both arms rather than have the bar tilt down towards the weaker arm which i see all the time at my gym with people trying to go heavier than they can actually handle.

here's another explanation i found:

By placing the legs on the bench, you push the pelvis back into it's neutral position (posterior pelvic tilt). It's the safest approach, and is generally used to PROTECT a client's back. It engages the abdominals as well as the transverse abdominis and teaches proper posture.

My question for you fellas is do you do your own research on what supplements to take pre/post workout, or do you just trust the label that what they are giving you is in the right combination to what you need?

I usually do a bit of both. Do my own research and then look at a bunch of supps and see which one has what im looking for in it..an example of this would be that there are several types of creatine (different forms), but if say i wanted a supplement that contained more than just one form of creatine, i would get an intraworkout like gaspari's sizeon...it has creatine monohydrate, magnesium creatine chelate, and disodium creatine phosphate in it. What pre-med classes you taking?

My question for you fellas is do you do your own research on what supplements to take pre/post workout, or do you just trust the label that what they are giving you is in the right combination to what you need?

I hear all types of conflicting talk about what is right and what is wrong, and when to take this or that.

Also have any of you heard of Onnit? I only know of it from listening to Joe Rogan's Podcasts.

First, dial in your programming and diet.

They are most important and no legal supplements will really help you with anything unless you are training and eating properly.

Second, don't listen to Joe Rogan about anything concerning supplements.

He is a retard when it comes to them and he is biased because he sells his own, so...

Third, everything you want to know about supplements is written on THIS site.

Use it to determine what will help you with your goals and do not trust bodybuilding websites, ESPECIALLY T-Nation and their shitty fucking overpriced Biotest supps.

Reddit can be helpful for anecdotal evidence.

Beyond that, buy steroids.

yeah, i get your point. but i only to do it for warm up sets since im only lifting at between 60-80% of working weight anyways. for the next three sets, i use proper form with feet on the floor and go heavy. if i decide to do last set with light weights until failure, i lift my feet again (i actually just put both feet up on the bench itself). i have noticed that lifting feet into air makes me work harder to stabilize myself on the bench, and it makes me focus more on pushing up equally with both arms rather than have the bar tilt down towards the weaker arm which i see all the time at my gym with people trying to go heavier than they can actually handle.

here's another explanation i found:

By placing the legs on the bench, you push the pelvis back into it's neutral position (posterior pelvic tilt). It's the safest approach, and is generally used to PROTECT a client's back. It engages the abdominals as well as the transverse abdominis and teaches proper posture.

Yeah, I'm not telling anyone not to do it.

You're also not a 100 pound kid trying to bench 135 pounds lol.

I see them daily trying to get extra ab workouts while doing bench with 20 pounds on the bar lol.

If that's making you juicy, keep at it.

I've been lurking this thread for a bit now and just recently started working out again after 15+ years. I was taking a power circuit course that included some light cross fit type routines mixed with dead lifts, squats and power cleans. I am also taking some pre-med courses and have been learning about the physiological mechanisms of nutrient uptake and excretion. My question for you fellas is do you do your own research on what supplements to take pre/post workout, or do you just trust the label that what they are giving you is in the right combination to what you need?

I've only ever used whey protein as a supplement, simply for the fact that I don't eat that much (ya I know I should) and can't get my prescribed protein needs. Therefore, I SUPPLEMENT my diet with it. That's what it's for, it's not really meant as a replacement. In fact, many arguments have been made that real food would serve better :P I hear good things about creatine and strength increases and the added water weight that makes you look more swoll. A lot of people take preworkouts to hype them up for their workout. Never taken them, but I've used coffee/ espresso to stay motivated/energized. Idk if that's actually "good" for you, but I don't really care, because I like it. :cool:

Therefore, I SUPPLEMENT my diet with it. That's what it's for, it's not really meant as a replacement.

I agree...supplements should be used for just that...to supplement your food if youre coming up short somewhere....unfortunately some people do use them as meal replacements.

i remember taking a food science & technology class at my college a few years ago and the professor had a couple really nice slides in his power point...the first was of pills, the second was of real good looking foods, the third was of powders, the fourth was of really delicious looking foods, etc etc...and he kept saying "would you rather eat this? (showing different pills and stuff) or this (showing fruits vegetables meats etc)?"...he made a good point, but obviously if youre shooting for 150 g of protein throughout the day and just cant get enough through meals, a protein shake wouldnt hurt.

as for preworkouts, theyre loaded with caffeine and b vitamins...the amount of caffeine from a cup of coffee or tea is minute, but then again, I have to take a few scoop of preworkout to feel anything anyways, so im better off just getting enough rest and getting some good carbs before a workout from fruits..and having some motivating music on.:)

If you can't eat 150 grams of protein in a day, you better be a midget or have cancer, cuz something is wrong with you lol.

I just ate 194 grams in one meal.

On caffeine...caffeine stops working at the same dosage after about 2 weeks.

After that you either have to up the dose or take a break for about 1-2 weeks before it will start to be effective again.

Something something brain receptors adapt blah blah barf.

If you can't eat 150 grams of protein in a day, you better be a midget or have cancer, cuz something is wrong with you lol.

I just ate 194 grams in one meal.

On caffeine...caffeine stops working at the same dosage after about 2 weeks.

After that you either have to up the dose or take a break for about 1-2 weeks before it will start to be effective again.

Something something brain receptors adapt blah blah barf.

LOL While I am petite, that isn't the reason why I don't eat a lot. I just forget, or I'm too damn lazy. Ya, pretty gay, whateva. Also, I don't eat meat and I mainly use a combination of egg whites and whole eggs to get my protein, as well as other sources :P

anybody else have trouble gaining size in their biceps?

barbell curls

dumbell curls

chin ups

dead lifts

and these mother fuckers wont grow.

sure they are hard as fuck and i am getting stronger. but i am just wondering why the size doesnt come with it.

Are you eating at caloric surplus?

If so, are you adding weight and getting enough volume?

What rep range?

You should all read this 3 part series:

PLANNING STRENGTH TRAINING

FYI, pullups are only gonna do so much for biceps and if your elbows are unlocked during a deadlifts you are eventually going to tear your biceps, so stop expecting biceps work from deads and straighten your arm out before you rip your arm apart.

You should all read this 3 part series:

PLANNING STRENGTH TRAINING

FYI, pullups are only gonna do so much for biceps and if your elbows are unlocked during a deadlifts you are eventually going to tear your biceps, so stop expecting biceps work from deads and straighten your arm out before you rip your arm apart.

im only about 400-600 over daily on what i burn. I think it has to be it. Im dropping BF% and peeling a little more but growth has kind of stunted all around. I just think its weird because i feel strong as fuck.adding weight yes. Rep range stays the same mostly 5x5 but for curls and shit 8-10 reps 5-6 sets

What rep range? ^^^^^

my form is good on the deads. i just mentioned those because i feel work in them when i do pull. Secondary muscle shit. i dont fuck with cable pulls and isolation machines and shit.

chin ups work the biceps a little as a secondary too. Im just mentioning these because i can feel some added work to them while i do some chin up sets.

pull ups dont do shit for the biceps for me. palms in hits arms a little more.

i think i need to eat more food. hard as fuck for what im going through right now. My job is very physical. Fun but physical. being very conservative i probably burn 800-1000 calories for the work i do. and im am getting the food to compensate. I need more!!!!

Do you track your food?

The best way to get a handle on what you are eating/expending is to weigh yourself after you piss each morning, write it down, track your calories daily trying to keep them as consistent as possible.

At the end of the week you average your daily weight.

Then do the same next week and compare the two.

Add or subtract calories from there.

Do you track your food?

The best way to get a handle on what you are eating/expending is to weigh yourself after you piss each morning, write it down, track your calories daily trying to keep them as consistent as possible.

At the end of the week you average your daily weight.

Then do the same next week and compare the two.

Add or subtract calories from there.

wow.....with the exception of averaging daily weight every week, this is exactly what i do everyday.

one of my good friends (who is actually the head manager at a local gym here in town) and i were actually having the conversation about arms and getting them bigger...hes gained a lot of size especially in his arms in the last 2 years...he said next time i went to his gym he would write down his arm routine for me...i need to go back there and get the routine from him and post it here, but i dont like going to that gym because the showers suck..lol.

Ever since I started averaging my weight each week I have been consistently dropping blubber slow and steady each week.

Eric Helms and Alberto Nunez of 3dmj have a bunch of articles and videos explaining good ways of planning your diet macros and training volume. Check em out on the youtubes if you're interested.

• Like 1