the un official workout thread

podrido

6-8 weeks seems to be the amount of time that fitness magazines have convinced the general public it will take to become any form of impressive physical specimen.

Brb, gonna go from 150 pounds of skinny fat to 220 and stage ready in 6 weeks doing this pump program from FLEX Magazine.

dont forget that you have to buy all the supplements to go with it or else it wont work.

my facebook newsfeed has been flooded with gym bullshit lately. this week alone 2 people posted pics of at least $250-$300 worth of shit with the caption "gonna get ripped, summer time here i come" or "its almost bikini season"

fat burners, diet pills, fruit and veggie powders, whey, casein, pre work outs and shit.

then 6 hours later they post two 30 packs and playing beer pong. after that 2am they are at dennys eating a full order of nachos and mozzarella sticks.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont forget that you have to buy all the supplements to go with it or else it wont work.

my facebook newsfeed has been flooded with gym bullshit lately. this week alone 2 people posted pics of at least $250-$300 worth of shit with the caption "gonna get ripped, summer time here i come" or "its almost bikini season"

fat burners, diet pills, fruit and veggie powders, whey, casein, pre work outs and shit.

then 6 hours later they post two 30 packs and playing beer pong. after that 2am they are at dennys eating a full order of nachos and mozzarella sticks.

I hate to defend dumb butt trainees at all, but the fitness industry is a very confusing place. I try to remember that before I get mad at people just starting out, because I've fallen prey to the bullshit myself. I've learned that you just have to let them learn on their own though, if someone really wants to learn stuff they will seek out the information on their own. Sadly, the majority of people have these delusions about how quickly they can transform their bodies due to magazines and supplement companies just blatantly lying to them. That coupled with ignorance leads to no results which leads to poor motivation which leads to quitting. It's sad really. Especially considering how simple it really is to progress at this shit. But when you try and show someone how simple it can be, they have a hard time believing it because of all the bullshit bombarding them out there.

ive been sort of dealing with something similar to that. Not on the topic of supplements, but a relative of mine seems to believe an hour of cardio 5 times a week will make them "ripped" or "cut" as they described it. It seems like its a huge obstacle to overcome to get those thoughts our of their head. They also looked at me like i was crazy when i told them all i do is lift 3-4 times a week and do maybe 10-15 minutes of HIIT maybe 2 times a week. ( i also jog lightly 1-2 times a week in the mornings)

wish me luck on getting through and making sense to them

While that article is highly amusing, it is full of holes.

Jogging is overhyped. However, simplifying jogging to what the article does misses some key points about fitness.

One of the best comments from that was this

"usually i dont bother replying to comments but ill make yours an exception. when you want to exfiltrate after 72 hours of sitting in damp or hot mess whole and want to revert to a tertiary extraction point 8 miles away from your standing point. you jog your way there ,you dont sprint"

Real life application vs looking good.

We all pick our battles.

The article was aimed at people that want to look good though, so...yeah. Also, steady state cardio as it pertains to the article has been proven time and time again to hinder fat loss and muscle building. Steady state as defined in this case is people that go to the gym and walk or run on the treadmill 5+ days per week without weight training. I'm sure we can all agree that these people never see any results aside from weight loss. Weight loss does not equal fat loss. Yes you can become a smaller version of yourself. Congrats...you are now skinnier, but you are still fat, because you lost an equal amount of muscle with the fat. LOL @ some soldier faggot thinking it was about real life application. Even implying that a person can sprint at top speed for more than 20 seconds is laughable, plz.

Also...would rape or let rape me...

tumblr_m7w2ga1XDM1qd1n1bo1_500.jpg

I gear my exercise routine toward overall endurance and strength, any improvement in appearance is a welcome byproduct.

There is some humor in a article that is focused apparently on appearance based weight training or body sculpting claiming that to train otherwise is a womanly thing to do.

On a positive note I would like to recognize one of the successful swimmers at my pool. This dude showed up a couple years ago and was like 300 plus pounds, when he first started out he would just go to the shallow end and walk back and forth and from there he got to doing long breast stroke sets. I saw him for the first time in over a year last week and he looks now to be much much healthier and less obese. Dude is kind of a funny looking character over all, full beard and full body hair suit with big gold chains that he wears while swimming, now he is starting to look like a enforcer of something instead of a fatso.

sup dudes

lost 30 lbs since NYE

down to a clean 202lbs now

mostly diet n calisthenics . some cardio and weight training

feeling healthy n confident

goal is to maintain nutrition and build maybe 10 lbs of upperbody this year

still fighting these fucking shin splints though!!!!

ive decided to do the reg park 5x5 workout for the next couple of months to build up strength before i start shortcut to shred for the summertime.

then after summer, i want to go back to that triphase program i was doing a while back...saw really good gains with that program.

so i am a wiz status skinny nigga, my roomate started as pretty =thin but thicker than ,e just doing workouts at the house in between homework and shit and is making massive gains,

started with just adding small amounts of upper body plus skating a lot,

noticed a huge increase in arm size already but i think i was so small any gain seems massive to me haha

been doing this light workout for like 3 months so far and already looking better in shirts

I need to work on my knees I fucked them up by gaining weight then attempting to shred the skatepark like I would 2 years ago, knees not happy at all

so i am a wiz status skinny nigga, my roomate started as pretty =thin but thicker than ,e just doing workouts at the house in between homework and shit and is making massive gains,

started with just adding small amounts of upper body plus skating a lot,

noticed a huge increase in arm size already but i think i was so small any gain seems massive to me haha

been doing this light workout for like 3 months so far and already looking better in shirts

I need to work on my knees I fucked them up by gaining weight then attempting to shred the skatepark like I would 2 years ago, knees not happy at all

your knees are going to be sore the more work you put on them. The thing is the joint get stronger as your muscles do too. The stronger the muscles around the joint, the less stress the joint takes.

Variations of push ups will help your chest for at home workouts. Wide stances, standard, and diamond will mostly hit all parts of your chest. The thing is, if you want to put on some real size and mass there. You will need to eventually start lifting.

The thing is, if you want to put on some real size and mass there. You will need to eventually start lifting.

This is not true.

Loading with outside weights is not necessary to build size and strength if you increase the difficulty of the leveraging, which by default increases the load via disadvantaging the muscles you are working with your bodyweight.

Think push up on floor--->deficit pushup by using parallel bars---->ring pushups--->handstand pushups--->etc...

Gymnastic progressions are insanely good for building size and strength but they are unfortunately very slow due to the difficulty of the moves needed to be performed.

Most good gymnasts look juicy as fuck.

A great program for progressing through gymnastic poses is out on torrent and called Foundation One by Coach Sommer. Overcoming Gravity is good as well, but Foundation One is completely mapped out for you and less confusing of a read as far as programming.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, do you think doing basic calisthenics will help in weighted compound movements? Pretty much just squat, bench, deadlift. I've been thinking about incorporating them as an everyday supplementary fitness type routine along with my strength program, kind of like stretching or mobility work. I was wondering if over time it would have a cumulative effect on my numbers in those exercises.

It can't hurt.

I've been running 2-3 miles a day on a treadmill and then strength training different parts of my body on different days. Also put myself on a tight diet, fish and veggies for the whole month. Seeing good results but I'm not where I want to be yet. Is there any dietary supplements that any of you recommend for cutting fat quicker? I want to get rid of the pudge I have sooner rather than later.

It can't hurt.

Yes it can.

Also, do you think doing basic calisthenics will help in weighted compound movements? Pretty much just squat, bench, deadlift. I've been thinking about incorporating them as an everyday supplementary fitness type routine along with my strength program, kind of like stretching or mobility work. I was wondering if over time it would have a cumulative effect on my numbers in those exercises.

All of that will affect your recovery.

I'm not saying it's impossible to recover from, but it will take a toll.

You need to choose one master and serve him solely.

If you want barbell strength, choose a basic program and follow it.

Diet is part of the program and so is rest and recovery.

This means don't add shit to it.

Just let it work.

If it's not working, you probably aren't eating enough or sleeping enough.

If that is all dialed in, maybe you need to tweak things within the program a little bit.

Basically what I am saying is that doing extra shit may set you back if you are not careful and ruin all of your goals.

This shit is a marathon, not a sprint.

Take baby steps and monitor your progress based on tried and true programming and a good amount of food.

You are not Yoda.

You are not thinking of anything new by adding bodyweight to this shit.

Just pick a program and get strong and then keep getting stronger and the muscles will come.

throw in some l-carnitine.

C'mon with these bullshit supps. All that matters is macros and total caloric intake.

this is true....ultimately calories in < calories out for fat loss, but l-carnitine cant hurt:

S'waste of $$$$ tho.

1) flat bench, decline, incline

or

2) only flat, gain mass, then use incline and decline for definition down the road

?

They will all add mass to you given you are eating excess calories and doing either more reps or adding weight to the bar.

Do whichever one you prefer/are more comfortable with.

Incline will put more stress on upper part of pecs, which most people need.

You can't define your body via reps or hitting muscles from different angles.

You only get definition by losing bodyfat and retaining muscle.

Which is done in the kitchen.

Pick a program and do it.

You can't define your body via reps or hitting muscles from different angles.

You only get definition by losing bodyfat and retaining muscle.

Which is done in the kitchen.

I'm starting to see a little more and more definition as the days go by. Been eating at a bigger deficit. (only about 400 cals less than what i was eating before)

Never really gone by BF %. But got some delt veins peeking through. Definition in quads is getting good. Splitting between the rectus and vastus is getting more noticeable. Waist is an Inch smaller.

Building chest definition is still something that is yet to come. I have some solid pecs but i have to flex to really see some chizzelness. Keeping on trucking though, slow progress is better than no progress.

One thing is for sure you can't out train a bad diet.