the un official workout thread

podrido

I took a weight lifting class at the community college back in my 20s for two separate semesters. The teacher was cool and said even thought the class was three times a week for 50 minutes, the room would always be open and unlocked if we wanted to come in to work out a bit.

As for the gym, I would be pissed. If youre not in a contract, and dont have to pay a cancellation fee, then I would just cancel. If you can afford to upgrade to the bigger facility, i would just try it out for a few weeks and see if its even worth the extra $20.

Some gyms are extremely shady at how they do business, and you can get fucked over by the sales people. I am a member of two different gyms. A personal trainer I know was a member of five different gyms (but recently cut it down to three). It all depends on what you want. Some gyms have an great day care to get families in. Some gyms have weights that go really heavy geared towards bodybuilder types. Some gyms are more like health clubs with the amenities like pools/spas/hot tubs etc. Some gyms are basic with little to no amenities...just some cardio weights and maybe trx or something.

One gym im a member of used to charge me $25 per month...then they upped it a year later to $26, then a year later upped it to $27, and starting January of this year its now at $28. My girlfriend is a member of the same gym and has the same gym membership type as me, but she got a great deal where she paid $600 for the first 2 years and now only does 1 $100 payment a year. The other gym im at starts at about $60 for an individual membership, goes up to about $80 for a couple about $100 for a family of 3 to 5 and like $120 for a family of 5-7. I just keep both of my memberships because one is open 24 hours a day, and the other has better amenities, cleaner equipment, and fix machines quicker once they break...not to mention have certain machines that I cant find at other gyms like the back pullover machine or the seated tricep extensions or the shoulder lateral raise machine, etc.

I dont have a fancy phone and so im not paying $100+ on my phone bills which lets me have extra money to have 2 gym memberships. But I will be dropping one of the memberships soon im thinking, just to try and save even more money if I can.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I was an instructor at a gym before I joined the army in the 90s. After I got back from basic training I found out that they had a week long sale on half price memberships, did a huge promo drive and signed up a bunch of people. The coming Monday people turned up to the gym and the place was empty. All the equipment, which was leased had been sold on, the offices cleared out and premises vacated. I bumped in a to a few people that I'd signed up myself before I left and they weren't real keen to speak to me.

Gyms are dodgeville, straight up.

I took a weight lifting class at the community college back in my 20s for two separate semesters. The teacher was cool and said even thought the class was three times a week for 50 minutes, the room would always be open and unlocked if we wanted to come in to work out a bit.

When I lived in Salinas that is how the junior college was. Actually you just swept your I.D. card in the security lock and then scanned it into the computer and started logging your time.

Weight room was open 6am-10pm. 15-20 hours logged was a D, 21-30 hours was a C, 31-40 Hours was a B and i think anything over 40+ hours was an A. Something like that not to sure on the exact scale. Totally different where i live now.

As for the gym, I would be pissed. If you're not in a contract, and dont have to pay a cancellation fee, then I would just cancel. If you can afford to upgrade to the bigger facility, i would just try it out for a few weeks and see if its even worth the extra $20

I am on a contract to get the incentivized payment. I was perfectly fine with the place I was at. sucks that there are no Barbells left in the whole damn place. Ive seen the other GYM and its a lot better but i'm not interested in the pool, sauna, hot tub, steam room, tanning , etc...

Called them out on their bullshit but no luck. my name is on the dotted line. i only have 4.5 months left on my contract then im out that bitch.

yeah, if you only have 4 and a half months left, id just ride it out. most gyms have you pay first and last months dues so if you paid last months dues, then i would just give them a 2 or 3 months heads up that you want to cancel after your contract is up and have them apply your last months dues toward that particular month.

but look on the bright side..at least they have the smith machine. i actually see a lot of big guys at my gyms use the smith machine for incline bench, shrugs, military press etc....they just go extra heavy.

as for shrugs and incline press, you can do those with dumbells too. do you guys at least have ez-curl bars?

actually used to hit shrugs on smith even when the barbells were there just to use a little more weight.

thing was this gym had a flat bench, incline bench, power racks for squats. extra barbells for deadlifts and over head press, rows and all that. Shit just vanished.

Yeah to have the curl bars, and they were kind enough to leave the preacher curl bench.

Just went yesterday and the heaviest curl bars that are there now are 60lb. they used to go up to 110.

yeah once this shit is over i think im going to invest some money into some equipment for home.

maybe, maybe not. probably will.

only thing is every other decent gym around here that is not associated with them is $50 a month.

New topic, you taking any branched chains? thinking of trying a new one. Been taking purple wrath from CL, great ingredients, but taste is not the business. SciVation Xtend seems to be good.

New topic, you taking any branched chains? thinking of trying a new one. Been taking purple wrath from CL, great ingredients, but taste is not the business. SciVation Xtend seems to be good.

Aminolast.

A friend is taking the scivation xtend...i will probably try it....after all, i was doing the triphase workout from the scivationbook workout for a while.

anyone here try any jim stoppani workouts?

im thinking of starting the shortcut to shred workout next month.

I thought about shortcut to shred also. Didn't read much into it. I ended up starting with Strong Lifts Program. Worked good and got my strength up. Still use the same lifts but customized a different routine.

can really say much, im about to cop xtend though. Purple wrath looks like its gonna last about 3 more days.

anyone here try any jim stoppani workouts?

It's just a split.

One of a billion that these trainerfags post online daily.

I don't see anything special about it at all.

I ended up starting with Strong Lifts Program. Worked good and got my strength up. Still use the same lifts but customized a different routine.

Was it still working when you decided to customize it?

Starting Strength till stall, then PHAT = mad gainz bruh.

Slowed down on lifting due to a lack of funds and facilities, but I got fucking tendonitis in my elbow area from winter painting. My buddy said he got it from overhead press last year and it took months to heal up. /notstoked

It feels like I have some gimp arm and I lose all strength when I try to do different movements/elbow rotations.

Opening doorknobs? Nope.

Bringing a fork up to my mouth? Nope.

Fapping? Left hand I guess.

Wiping my ass? Nope.

• Like 1

I had that in my left elbow for months.

Stretch out all the surrounding muscles multiple times daily.

I'm talking shoulders, pecs, forearms, biceps, triceps, fucking fingers...EVERYTHING THAT COULD POSSIBLY BE CONNECTED TO THE STUFF THAT IS IN YOUR ELBOW.

Do that until you get some relief.

I sat around for weeks/months working around that shit until one day I just started trying to loosen up my pec and it went away within the week.

Look up "banded pec stretch" and "pec minor wall stretch"

Those are the two that helped me the most.

I also supported my elbow with the inside of my thigh while doing curls with DBs to put less stress on my elbow.

Also, yeah a lot of people like PHAT, but I think it's overkill for anyone that isn't advanced.

It's a shitload of volume when you could be getting the same gains and more strength in a shorter period of time by doing MADCOW or TEXAS METHOD.

It boggles my mind how people jump from program to program without milking the basic ones for all they are worth and then moving to a simple intermediate program.

There is no reason to even want to be an advanced trainee because the work is harder and you recover slower and thus get slower gains.

MILK YOUR PROGRAMS, FAGGOTS.

FOR ALL THEY ARE WORTH.

HYPERTROPHY WILL COME WITH ADDED WEIGHT ON THE BAR.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO SPECIALIZE.

YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL.

JUST FUCKING WORK YOUR WAY THRU THAT GOD DAMN CHART I POSTED A FEW PAGES BACK.

Or don't.

Felt strong as fuck yesterday. Ended up hitting a new PR on squat.

Pushed 245 for 2x8 reps and my legs felt good. I almost finished my last set at that weight but decided to push it. slid the 10's off and added 25's.

5 reps at 275.

Looking to push a set or two of full reps at that weight by next week. Then testing the waters again at maybe 295

Worked out why my left shoulder has a horrid clunk in the anterior rotator cuff.

Went for a ride, pretty rough and technical uphill climb with lots of rocky switch backs and felt my shoulder hate it right away. My right hand goes numb after a while when I'm pedaling hard on trails, it's either bad positioning or carpal tunnel syndrome. Most likely the latter given the history of my wrist. This has made me focus much more of my weight on to my left arm when riding. Not really sure if I have bad positioning on the bike or what the story is but I'm glad to have isolated the cause of the problem as it was previously just getting worse and I had no idea why.

Come stand next to me in a speedo tough guy. I'll be the oiled down starved one that's gonna win. Let's settle this waxed and tanned. I'll shit on you. You talk big. Let's step on stage and flex our sweaty bodies for a bunch of men to judge us and see who the real champ is. Oh your afriad? I'll shit on you. By that I mean my body will have less fat , more tan and more muscle while I flex for a 90 percent male audience. Let's do it big guy. Come at me.

Xj8UcXm.jpg

Sweet Christ...

Srs tho...I will never understand people that come into a gym as a rank beginner with no knowledge of what they are doing and just say to themselves:

"I'm just gonna wing it. Maybe I'll even reinvent the wheel today by doing completely ridiculous and ineffective movements with these heavy ass iron bars."

I hate to see people hurt themselves, but a lot of times they fucking deserve it.

People are the same with swimming, especially some aspiring triathlon competitors who think that two months is adequate time to first learn to swim and then train for a open water race.

6-8 weeks seems to be the amount of time that fitness magazines have convinced the general public it will take to become any form of impressive physical specimen.

Brb, gonna go from 150 pounds of skinny fat to 220 and stage ready in 6 weeks doing this pump program from FLEX Magazine.