ADHD Meds for 'Academic Doping'???

Mainter

Pediatricians report increasing requests for 'academic doping'. Seeking straight A's, parents push for ADHD pills that can give their kids an edge..........

really what the fuck is wrong with parents today? I can really understand having yer kids on the meds if they really have ADHD/ADD they do wonders but just to drug yer kids to get straight A's in school is just bullshit (they are making them become working zombies, life is ment to be enjoyed if you start drugging kids at 6 and 7 years of age... think of the medical side affects if this keeps going on watch the sucide rate jump another 50% percent in the next 5-10 years

i will stop here

anybody have any opinions on this???

story here http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14590058/wid/11915773

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
SYMPTOMS OF ADD or ADHD:

_ Often fidgeting with hands or feet, or squirming while seated.

_ Having difficulty remaining seated.

_ Being easily distracted by extraneous stimuli.

_ Having difficulty awaiting turn in games or group activities.

_ Often blurting out answers before questions are completed.

_ Having difficulty in following instructions.

_ Having difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities.

_Often shifting from one uncompleted task to another.

_ Having difficulty playing quietly.

_Often talking excessively.

_ Often interrupting or intruding on others.

_ Often not listening to what is being said.

_Often forgetting things necessary for tasks or activities.

_Often engaging in physically dangerous activities without considering possible consequences.

The ADD symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder and ADHD are further broken into three specific categories, each with its specific clinical presentation that better describes a child’s behavior.

These ADD symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder and ADHD categories are Inattentive Type (classic Attention Deficit Disorder), Hyperactive/Impulsive Type (classic Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder) and Combined Type (a combination of inattentive and hyperactive).

Inattention ADD symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder:

_ often fails to give close attention to details.

_ often makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities.

_ often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities.

_ often becomes easily distracted by irrelevant sights, sounds and extraneous stimuli.

_ often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly.

_often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace.

_ often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities.

_ often avoids tasks, such as schoolwork or homework, that require sustained mental effort.

_ often loses things necessary for tasks or activities, like school assignments, pencils, books, or tools.

_ often is forgetful in daily activities.

_ rarely follows instructions carefully and completely.

People with ADD symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder who are inattentive display difficulty keeping their mind on any one thing. They may get bored easily with a task and bounce to the next task, and the next task after that. Organizing and completing a task proves troublesome, though they may give undivided and effortless attention to activities and topics they enjoy. People with ADD symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder often find that focusing deliberate, conscious attention to learning something new is extremely difficult.

As a result, homework may be agonizing for people with the symptoms of ADD. They might forget to write down assignments or bring home the right books to complete the assignments. When doing homework, people with the symptoms of ADD typically find their minds drifting every few minutes.

Hyperactivity/Impulsive ADHD symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder:

_often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat.

_ often runs, climbs or leaves seat in settings where remaining seated is expected.

_ often runs about excessively in situations in where it is inappropriate.

_ often has difficulty playing quietly in leisure activities.

_ is often "on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor."

_ often talks excessively.

_often blurts out answers before hearing the entire question.

_ often has difficulty awaiting turn or for a turn.

_ often interrupts or intrudes on others at school or work and at home.

- often feels and acts restless.

People who display the symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder with hyperactive always seem to be in motion. Sitting still can be an impossible task. They may dash around, squirm in their seats, roam around the room or talk incessantly. They often do repetitive motions like wiggling their feet or tapping their pencil to bring them back to focus and burn off excessive energy. Many people who display the symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder with hyperactive feel intensely restless, fidget and may try to do several things at once, bouncing around from one activity to the next.

People who display the ADD symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder with impulsivity seem unable to curb their immediate reactions or think before they act. They may blurt out inappropriate comments or run into the street without looking. People with the symptoms of ADD with impulsivity do not "look before leaping." They may grab a toy from another child or hit when they're upset. People who display the ADD symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder with impulsivity may find it difficult to wait for things they want or to take their turn in games.

Combined ADHD and ADD symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder:

- Includes a mix of ADD symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder and ADHD.

Parents should know that not every overly hyperactive, inattentive, or impulsive child with the classic symptoms of ADD or ADHD has Attention Deficit Disorder. Everyone, at some point in his or her life, blurts out things they didn't mean to say, bounces around a number of tasks or become disorganized and forgetful.

now is it just me, or does that sound like every child you've ever met?

add/adhd are made-up 'disorders' that require heavy doping to alleviate the responsibilities of proper parenting

here's an experiment....

month one-

feed yor kid the average western diet, let them play video games, let them watch tv, don't ask them to do chores or play outside if they don't want to. at the end of the week take your kid to a shrink. see what prescriptions you walk out with

month two-

feed your kid plenty of fruits and vegetables, no junk food. lock up the playstation, and no tv. books, comics, drawing, and music are all ok. make sure your kid gets out on their bike, kicks around a football, and has plenty of interaction with their peers outdoors playing. you may as well cancel that shrink appointment

While ADD and ADHD diagnoses are tossed around way too frequently, it does not change the fact that some kids really do suffer because of the disorders. Granted, there are a lot of kids who are just normal (if somewhat hyperactive) children who get put on unneccesary drugs, but there are plenty of others who simply cannot focus their attention when they want or need to, and whose education suffers as a result.

My father was diagnosed with ADD in his 40's, and as a result, learned various techniques to improve his concentration and attention, as well as starting to take Adderall. He felt that his life improved immensely after the diagnosis, because he was finally able to finish tasks that he started, pay closer attention to what was going on around him (from classes and meetings, to friendly conversations and movies), and generally use his brain more effectively.

i remember watching an episode of "jamie oliver's school lunches" where he visited an average english family who survived on a diet of processed foods. the kids were a nightmare. he got rid of all the garbage, gave them a shopping list of fresh foods and a list of recipes, and within days the kids did a complete 180. no more fighting, no more back talk to the parents, they could complete their homework, they were alot quieter, they turned into model children. mum decided that, for a treat, she would give the kids a 'turkey twizzler' (super processed meat-like fried product). within minutes of ingesting it, the kids started going off the rails.

even those of us that consider ourselves 'healthy' may find that, after inspecting what we actually eat, as opposed to what we think we eat, will find that we eat far too much processed or fast food

i never bought into the ADD/ADHD hype

concentrating and focusing on stuff does not necessarily come naturally or easily

sometimes it is actually a leanred skill.

i also think that the influence of tv on kids has had a MAJOR contribution to the advent of this..as a 'disorder'

It's a way to crush kids when they're younger. We take kids in their developmental and thoughtful and active years, and we stick them in schools where no one wants to be there: the teachers are underpaid and the kids aren't interested. We keep kids 'out of trouble' by stuffing pills down their throats to get them to fit a norm where they're 'safe' from society, then we put them into sports. Instead of allowing any real self expression, we just stick them in shitty classrooms working like machines on bullshit paperwork.

All of that medicine is just a way to crush kids early so they're ready for the real world of more paper work in a place where no one wants to be there.

God forbid we should allow kids to not be 100% focused, daydream, be restless, maybe be creative, maybe think outside of what we've provided as 'acceptable' behavior... but then again society would obviously fall apart, so to hell with that idea.

I went to highschool with a grip of kids who's parents must've all gotten together around the time we were in 10th grade and decided that their little Johnnies and Stevies needed to be on attention drugs so they could round out their final years of school nicely with high SAT/ACT scores and a decent GPA. No joke, it started out nicely and did exactly what it was supposed to do- the kids' grades improved, their attention span lengthened and they got into the colleges of their (parent's) choosing. Everyone's satisfied.

Flash frame fast-forward to now: All of these kids have graduated/are graduating college this year and are completely incapable of functioning without their 'medication'. They walk around like zombies when they don't have it, talk about how life is so much better with it and are willing to hound fourteen-year-old kids for their month's prescription without shame. Satisfaction isn't an option.

What the hell, to go with the title of 'Academic Doping'... what the FUCK is the difference between kids taking medicine to do well in school and taking steroids in sports. Medicine for attention deficit can be harmful to people who take it, but we don't have a problem handing it out by the fistful, while we're scolding athletes and stripping them of their medals for steroids... they're both trying to get ahead, and neither is right, so why is only one criticized?

sigh

This shit makes me crazy because it's become impossible for me to get Adderall because of another "diagnosis", when that shit was probably the most effective of all the drugs I've been fed. I fucking hate by-the-books psychofarmicists/psychologists. They don't know how to put the book down and focus on the individual. And believe me, I've said that exact line to them numerous times and all I get is "we're concerned about your safety" while they try to get me on anti-psychotics that give you diabetes and make it impossible to take a piss as well as a number of other side-effects.

And by the by, I totally disagree with mass-prescribing drugs to any kid because they act a little strange. I've been in places where I've seen kids on 5 or 6 different types of meds and it's scary. But again, times are changing and there are increasingly more and more types of "external stimuli" that are heavily the learning processes of children. 30 years ago, kids were not exposed to 10,000 junk-food commercials and 10,000 toy commercials a year as well as hyperintensive shows like Transformers or Pokemon. So there is sort of a dilemma going on and just because mass-prescriptions of Ritalin might not work doesn't mean there is not a problem.

You know something is fucked up when a college student refers to Plato's Republic as an "article".

as far as taking drugs to get better grades in school... it is and probably always has been popular to

do so, esp. in really competitive schools. my boy asks me if i need aderall so i can study... i always

declined the offer, as taking a pill to focus on school doesn't really excite me. probably would

help, as the list abc pretty much describes me, and probably you too. anyway, there are some people

you can tell who really do need ADD/ADHD drugs to keep them in check, while for a large precentage

of kids on that shit really don't need it, and just need an ass whooping at home. that's all