<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

How do I change the default window view in Windows 7?

When i open a folder, the 'preview' pane takes up about 3/4 of the screen and i can hardly see any icons and have to move it across each time.

Bit retarded i know but i cant fix it.

I just realized my VLC media player will play 1080p blue ray movies so I downloaded a few.

It works untill there is alot of motion then it gets all digitized looking with large squares and freezes the motion jumping around.

Sound still works though and it plays but the video looks all fucked up.

I think I just need a better video card to play those files but thought I'd ask in case anyone else has similar problem they found a way to fix.

I do have a amd phenom quad and 4 gigs of ram running vista home premium and VLC media player.

Ok, I downloaded malwarebyte and now I'm safemode with net working. I tried opening it but a run-time error '0' appears.

in my experience for a real bad malware similar to this is to use SuperAntiSpyware

download and install in safemode no need to update this one, as of right now.

run a quick scan on SAS, do the clean-up and restart the computer, then reinstall malwarebytes/ update and run full scan

• Like 1

put new stick of RAM into brothers computer, wouldnt boot. put old one back in, wouldnt boot.

what do?

Did you seat it right? All the way down in the slot? Take all his ram out, put new one in

slot 1. Should be labeled somehow. Make absolutely sure it's seated properly.

Power. If this works, put another stick in, etc.

Did you seat it right? All the way down in the slot? Take all his ram out, put new one in

slot 1. Should be labeled somehow. Make absolutely sure it's seated properly.

Power. If this works, put another stick in, etc.

i took the existing stick (only one stick of 512) out and put the new stick in the exact spot, seated perfect, wouldnt boot.

Out of interest...

How do people tend to watch shit from their computer on a tv?

I got a a VGA connection from my laptop.

I started using XBMC recently which I like but a lot of the time its alot of hassle to set up my laptop and external HD close to the tv. then open XBMC and navigate to the program when i could just open it from its folder.

Have been reading about the WDTV and similar devices which look good but im a bit reluctant to drop the money on one.

What does everyone else do?

svideo from my computer to my tv, aspect ratio set to 16:9, with splitter cables coming off of my computer and being fed into my surround sound system. i've got like 4/5 computers running all the time in my apartment sharing a few TBs of movies/music/video games. also a small minidisplayport to dvi with a dvi to svideo dongle connecting to my TV for when i need to do something more hands-on like draw or something on my tv.

it's pretty much graphics card - svideo cable - tv for just the video signal, and the audio signal is fed directly into the receiver without any sort of intervention from anything else. with most interfaces for video, you don't get any sound out of your tv - just the computer, which totally ruins movies for me.

yeah, it's a pretty simple home network. the computer that plays everything is wired in with an ethernet cable (for speed, and reliability), fuck that wireless shit. essentially you just take computers that can't handle actual applications, set them up headless (no monitor) and don't run any programs on them whatsoever so it can handle streaming the videos through a home network. there's other options like network drives, which require no computers at all, but this is on a budget. if i had a few hundred/thousand dollars to kick around, this would be set up very differently. it's pretty easy to convert surround sound into stereo. if you have a surround sound system, get a 2x rca to stereo miniplug (normal headphone type size), and in the input of your surround sound receiver set the rcas to fr L and fr R, and just plug the stereo plug into your lappy. insta surround sound. another option is getting a somewhat decent 5.1 surround setup for your computer. altec lansing has some reeeeeal nice stuff for cheap that i saw at micro center that i'm thinking of picking up for a bedroom stereo.

yeah, it's a pretty simple home network. the computer that plays everything is wired in with an ethernet cable (for speed, and reliability), fuck that wireless shit. essentially you just take computers that can't handle actual applications, set them up headless (no monitor) and don't run any programs on them whatsoever so it can handle streaming the videos through a home network. there's other options like network drives, which require no computers at all, but this is on a budget. if i had a few hundred/thousand dollars to kick around, this would be set up very differently. it's pretty easy to convert surround sound into stereo. if you have a surround sound system, get a 2x rca to stereo miniplug (normal headphone type size), and in the input of your surround sound receiver set the rcas to fr L and fr R, and just plug the stereo plug into your lappy. insta surround sound. another option is getting a somewhat decent 5.1 surround setup for your computer. altec lansing has some reeeeeal nice stuff for cheap that i saw at micro center that i'm thinking of picking up for a bedroom stereo.

Cool I been thinking about investing in a surround sound for a while now but the lease on this place runs out in 6 months then ill be moving so been putting it off... is there much noticable difference between the cheap and expensive surround sound systems?

Price varies a lot.

Also contemplating buying myself a desktop pc and having it permanently connected to my tv but havent really got anywhere.

Again, anyone have trouble with VLC player fucking up 1080p

I tried googling it, updating drivers, getting a new video card, updating more shit.

Still, some of the 1080p movies are digitized/pixelated/skipping frames.

I really hope it's not from the hard drive being too slow but can't think of what else to troubleshoot next.

On a positive note, The Goonies in 1080p played flawlessly.