<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
do i want to dl the torrents with a lot of seeders and not a lot of leechers? i always seem tp pick the slowest torrents ever

when i download, i usually reduce the seed speed to 10kbps and the download is unlimited speed. so, yeah.

and find the torrent with the most amount of seeders.

do you have a demonoid account?

Another for ya.. Just to keep you busy

Some way or another, it seems that my computer thinks I have two desktops.. I take a screen shot, for example, and it captures what I currently see and also another desktop to the left, which I dont see. I'm not sure how this happened, it seems like my computer thinks there are two monitors. I havent played with settings so I'm not sure how this happened, or how to turn it off

i just switched to comcast the other day, and all the internetz load at the same speed as when i was on dsl pretty much, but when i'm downloading torrents i get speeds of up to like 850KBp and i turn off azureus when i'm surfing the nets so i don't think it's because of the torrents that my internet speed is kind of slow.

i run a speedtest thing from CNET and i get this

1088.3 Kbps - You 1088.3 kbps

which should be like 136KBps right? but i can download at over 800KBps still....

and assuming that the cnet testing thing is wrong, i still should be able to internet faster yeah?

use this to test yer speed

http://www.speedtest.net/

choose recommend server ( the yellow one)

example if it says

These are decent speeds ( and slow for torrents) price you may be paying is 40 a month from comcast

5034 / 432

download / upload

it means yer speed for searching the internet is 5.0 Mbps

and the upload speed is you sending information is 432 Kbps

down 5660 up 1561

the torrent stuff seems to be alright, max down i've seen like 850KB and up around 160KB

it's just the surfing that still loads the same as dsl kind of. i couldn't use the patch i'm on mac and the laptop has vista and it's just saying error press any key to exit.

fuck it, not that big of a deal.

also, when i'm connected to the interlord with the ethernet cable my shit is like 35% faster than when i'm connected wirelessly, will i get the same speed as i am with the ethernet cable if i get a better router?

i got this right now

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Netgear-Wireless-Router-WGR614/sem/rpsm/oid/72888/catOid/-12980/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

tor do this on yer vista machine

Disable TCP Auto-Tuning

1. Start / All Programs / Accessories / Right Click Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator

2.Type the following command and press Enter:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

restart the computer ( this will give you better speeds via torrents)

page 299

this is what yer gonna do you are going to burn the xp OS to a disc using that burning program i gave you

from there you will put the newly made xp disc in the computer cd rom try restart the the computer

in most cases it will automatically boot to the cd

setup will start copying files, and you will see a screen that is saying if you need to install any third-party or RAID drivers press F6 at this time. the copying of files can take awhile.

Do not press any keys till you see this screen

XPpro1setup.jpg

press enter to continue

then you will see this screen

XPpro2setup.jpg

press the F8 key ( it is with the buttons above the numbers /the row that the esc key is on)

next

Setup will scan for previous Windows installations

you will see a screen similar to this XPpro3setup.jpg

delete all the partitions you see until yer screen looks like above

then create 2 partitions

the first one will be yer c:\ drive

and make a second one which will be yer d:\ drive

make the majority of the drive to the c:\

make c:\ 102400 and give the rest to the d:\ partition

confusing huh??

its pretty easy

now the fun part of installing xp again

after that is all done select the c: partition and press enter

and you will see this screen XPpro4setup.jpg

during that time you will get this screen

XPpro5setup.jpg

it will take awhile

then it will reset automatically when finished it will start the xp install

during that time you will get a few screen that pop up and ask you to put in some information

If you live outside the US, you will probably need to modify the default settings.

Personalize your XP Enter your Name and Organization.

ten you will come to this screen

XPpro15setup.gif

try them keys that i gave you till one works

20. Choose a name for the computer, this should be a unique name for the computer, especially if it is to be connected to a network. In Pro, you are given the option of creating a password or leaving it blank.

21. Set your Time Zone and Time and Date.

22. Setup will scan for network.

23. If detected you will have the choice to choose a typical configuration or custom. Choose typical if you are unsure.

24. For home you will choose your workgroup, if a network is already established and you intend to connect to it, use the existing workgroup name, otherwise, I suggest using the default.

25. For Pro, the same goes for Pro as suggested for Home, but you will have the choice to join a Domain, if you do not have a Domain or do not know leave blank.

26. Setup will continue and reboot when completed ignore the "Press Any Key".

27. The XP loading window will now display after reboot.

Note: All XP SP2 versions now show the same XP loading screen. Windows XP is displayed for both Home and Professional.

28. You will see a change display settings, say yes, and accept the setting if you can see the screen after accepting.

29. You will see a welcome screen, press next and unfortunately you have to wait for the dialog to finish.

30. Set up your internet or network connection.

31. This is the Activate, Register screen. You must activate within 30 days of installing XP, but you do not ever have to register, Registration is completely optional and if you do not register, no personal information will be transmitted during activation. If you register, then activation will transmit that information along with the activation. The first Activation is usually done over the internet if the computer is connected to the internet, otherwise, it can be accomplished by copying the alphanumeric string from the activation screen and make a phone call to the phone number [usually Toll Free] supplied on screen. The activation center will then give you a slightly longer number to input into for activation. I suggest you do not activate immediately in case you need to make hard ware changes, or install to a different system within the thirty days, and you will be reminded on boot up until you do.

Blaster worm warning: Enable the XP firewall before connecting to the internet. Do not immediately activate over the internet. You can activate after the firewall is enabled.

To enable the XP firewall: Control Panel - Network Connections. Right click the connection you use, Properties, and there is a check box on the Advanced page.

32. Setup users screen. Set at least one user for yourself or the person that will be using the computer.

33. Thank You

34. Logon to XP and apply Service Pack and Critical updates from Windows Update before installing any software or hardware.

35. Install your anti-virus software.

36. Install all applications and setup your email.

you might want to print these directions

ok i was hoping to get into torrent sharing but i am a newbie when it comes to this...i have downloaded uTorrent and just now tried to register for demonoid.com but they only allow registration like 2 days a month...anyone a member who could send me an invite so i can join right away?

can anyone break down the whole torrent sharing thing, viruses, best sharing sites etc...

thanks for any help!

ok i was hoping to get into torrent sharing but i am a newbie when it comes to this...i have downloaded uTorrent and just now tried to register for demonoid.com but they only allow registration like 2 days a month...anyone a member who could send me an invite so i can join right away?

can anyone break down the whole torrent sharing thing, viruses, best sharing sites etc...

thanks for any help!

demonoid is a privilege you have to earn

for the best torrent sites ( it all depends on what you are looking to download) movies/games/programs/tv/music/books/audio books

get this firefox extention http://www.torrent-finder.com/toolbar.php