<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

anyone know if there is a complete list of words banned from use in an AIM screen name? i just tried making one with a word that absolutely shouldn't be used by anyone else, but it says its already taken. no matter how many numbers i place after it etc. i can only assume they added it to the "banned word" list.

i cannot find this list anywhere, any help?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

okay,

so i moved to an apartament.

i set up my desktop and internet access as well as my router. the only thing is that the network is called "linksys" and its an unsecured network.

How can i change the name of the network and secure it with a password/network key?

step by step plz, im computer retarded.

thank you.

(end desperate cry for help)

Enabling WEP

Logon to your routers settings. normally by opening the following web page http://192.168.1.1

password should be admin

1. Now click on the "wireless" tab

2. Click on the "Wireless Security" sub tab

3. In "security mode" select "WEP"

4. Leave the "default transmit key" as it is

5. Change "WEP Encyrption" to "128 bit"

6. In the "Passphrase" enter anything you want. Make it about 8 characters long

7. Press "Generate" and you will see Key 1, 2, 3 and 4 now have 26 Digits in each. Congratulations you have now secured your router and gernated your WEP key.

8. Now you have 4 keys, you only need one to get the PSP online. But which one??? Easy. Above where, it says "Default Transmit key" and a number, 1-4. The number that selected is the Key you need to use i.e if 1 is selected use the letters in Key 1.

Other things to secure your network

Hide the SSID

This is your wireless network ID. Turning off SSID Broadcast will mean people cannot see or find your network. Sure they still can but they need to really know what they are doing and have the right tools. This can be disabled from the Wireless tab. Just change Wireless SSID Broadcast to Disable.

Change your SSID name

From the Wireless tab change the Wireless Network Name (SSID) from the default. Leaving it as the default will make it easy to find even if you disable the SSID Broardcast.

^okay thanks....

--> im tryin to add some RAM to my laptop; a dell latitude d600

how should i go about finding how much i can put in, and should i pay extra $$ and let circuit city put it in or should i install it myself? (and how would i install the RAM sticks?)

^okay thanks....

--> im tryin to add some RAM to my laptop; a dell latitude d600

how should i go about finding how much i can put in, and should i pay extra $$ and let circuit city put it in or should i install it myself? (and how would i install the RAM sticks?)

look up your model via google.

then use http://www.corsairmemory.com/configurator/default.aspx

to get to the place you install ram in a laptop, i think you have to pull the keyboard.

you should probably pay extra and let circuit city do it.

or maybe find a little computer shop (mom an pop style)

and buy the ram and then ask them how much they would charge to drop it in.

shouldn't take them more than five minutes.

^word....

last question for today lol-->

i have a flatscreen dell monitor that connects via a (?)VGA(?) cable (trapezoid w/ little pins) and i was wondering if there was anyway to use it as a t.v.--> im trying to figure out if its possible to hook-up a PS2 to the monitor...like an attachment with a/v inputs or w/e.....

would you guys know of any such device/attachment/cable accessory??

I SO FUCKING LOVE AUTOPATCHER< IT IS A COMPLETE GOD SEND> AND IT JUST MADE ME $100 FOR 30 Minutes..... Dial-up is the best thing in the world for techs because people can not or i should say do not have the time to get the updates they need to stay secure just had a friends mothers friend give me a call saying my computer is full of viruses and spyware can you come fix it?? (so i take my trusty UBCD and latest Autopatcher disk and a couple others. I get there this computer was blasted and could not even boot into windows login screen for 5 minutes finally get it up take a look around antivirus had expired like 2 years ago ( they were using avast!) that was a good sign. So i pop in my ultimate boot cd blast all the crap away boot back into windows check the version they were running ( it was running sp1 straight off the cd never been updated) WOW so i pop in AP 20 minutes later with all the updates installed also they were running an old ass version of Netscape Navigator so i throw Firefox on there with all the plugins and shit I walk out with a quick $100:lol:

Its a brand new computer

is this good?

* Maximum Memory Capacity: 524288 MB

* Currently Installed Memory: 256 MB

* Available Memory Slots: 2

* Number of Banks: 3

* Dual Channel Support: N.A.

* CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD

* CPU Family: AMD Athlon processor Model 4, Stepping 2

* CPU Speed: 1302 MHz

it's not bad, but it's not great. great thing is you have an amd.

get a couple of 512's and you'll be happy