DETROIT GRAFFITI

Issac Brock

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 42.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DSD666

• GLEN BENTON

• wickedwacko!

• LEEZYONE

Hipsters live in Portland, Williamsburg, and of course, corktown and Woodbridge, eastern market, various lofts. Hipsters find everything passe and rock skinny jeans and vintage t-shirts, fixed gear bikes and drink obscure brews. Many sport outlandish facial hair not seen since the 1800's. They know everything hip and did it two years before you heard of it. Unfortunately, the term is not that well known, which is why, if you know what a hipster is, you are a hipster.

*for the record, I am a neo-hipster, I ironically dress normal now.

6825486127_645c2caed0_z.jpg

aires gasm king by ExcuseMySarcasm, on Flickr

that nekst flick with the chaos in the background is fresh good flick., if you know what a hipster is lol, it does not make you a hipster. matter a fact, in this city, if you are white, you are pretty much a "hipster." it's known that alnost all whiteboys in this city that paint, were born and raised in the burbs. i'll give you this, the term hipster is over used. even by me. it's shitty to judge someone by looks, but if you hang out with white niggas, that wear tight pants, and drink pbr in midtown or wayne state bars, chances are, you're still a fucking hipster fuck.

this is why i only hang out with domicans that speak no english.

That was quite a novel, But what exactly is your point?

Are you saying "Detroit style is lost" or is a basically just a bunch of complaining that the best crew in the world is painting in your city?

I'd like to know what exactly is "Detroit style" -From where i am standing and what info i've gathered Detroit's scene is VERY young. Only a handful of writers seemed to be doing stuff in the mid-90's with basically nothing pre dating that. In most major cities, a tradition of style is passed from one generation to the next typically starting around 80-84 with the exception of Ny/Philly in the late 60's-early 70's and LA with its Cholo writing in the late 50's-early 60's. The handful of guys doing graff in Detroit from 95-00 seem to have no influence on what could be perceived as "Local style" It seems Detroit's small current scene didnt really catch on till the early 2000's with the internet being the primary source of inspiration(At least to the ambitious locals)

My point was, I seen incredible shit from Detroit writers since the early 90's. Our scene was VERY young. Each style from early writers had a taste of other city's in it, but it wasn't a universal taste. No writer completely bit another writer, 90% of early Detroit writers had COMPLETELY opposite styles, but in acquiring them, tried to do so to out-do the ones they saw best. There was absolute style difference every way your head turned. It seemed the talk was about what writers in OUR city was doing, with minimal impact of writers who never touched down here.

Well, times change, they touched down here. Hands down, there's more skill & experience coming to our city now that has ever been here. Of course, these new writers have to eat it up to become the best they can be. As an OLDER cat, I pray the scene stays different with a million styles across our scene....like it has because of being in the backburner of how modern graffiti has gotten.

I just see how easy it is now for kids to get as good in 2 years now, to where back then it would take a decade with our city's limited resources. I guess....that's my point.

I got to see Justo come here with an L.A. style & then years later completely start things L.A. wasn't doing, and impacting Detroit. I got to see Tead come out of nowhere with incredible style BY HIMSELF, no help. Stori.....get the fuck outta here. The kid had a style nobody on earth witnessed, and everyone tried to work to outdo, while he was humble as fuck. Army showed a way to paint streetsides that has never been seen outside our city. Kosek, to kill everything in every aspect of bombing, by focusing how to strategically do it within a 2-year span. I could go on with individual accomplishments.

It seemed RAW, it seemed untouched, unaffected by outside forces. It was, and I know you can't live in the past, the present is the present. But, THAT was Detroit style. It was a scene within itself with no outside forces affecting it, even with 12oz popular. Just competition amongst locals, using style evolution vs. style evolution in what they seen in THIS city. And it sure as fuck brought out styles I couldn't match lookin' in other threads on here back then.

Now, you could match styles, you see inspiration, you see biting......what you don't see is completely new styles evolving out of THIS city. That was Detroit style.

I'm not gonna write another novel noone wants to read. But, I do got to give it up. Give it up so fuckin' hardcore to whoever, as an individual, painted that Jaunt piece. Whatever you're doing in life that salty, "jealous", retired writers not able to paint nowadays like you feel they wish they had the opportunity to right now, in this city..... you showed you deserve respect from Detroit by throwin' up one of our unfortunately passed writers, regardless of what you knew of him or what you knew of the reason that building & neighborhood was so fucked in that whole area for it to last in this fucked up city with no hope for those who live in homes amongst that piece.

Thanks.

By the way..."the best crew in the world" is merely an opinion from you. Again, I grew up & watched THIS cities writers & crews. And god bless Chaos for his wierd style with no letter structure....but it looks pretty as fuck. I'd take a new Elmer or Stori over that shit anyday. Them two by themselves, in my opinion, would be better than seein' a new Chaos. No diss to Chaos at all, just sayin'. I'd even take 20 shitty Jue extinguishers over 70 Chaos street burners. To each his own.

Seriously, love you Detroit writers.

It seems Detroit's small current scene didnt really catch on till the early 2000's with the internet being the primary source of inspiration(At least to the ambitious locals)

Sorry....forgot this one. Infomation, no...the scene in Detroit I'm talking about that started everything was completely unaffected by the internet. It's horrible how nowadays people think that the internet has been such a huge force from the get-go, you gotta be hella young or grew up in Bill Gates estate. Nope....I seen writers battling all-city muthafuckas with how many spots you can get up at before I ever even knew there was anything called an internet. That shit didnt' exist. Like I said......you can't understand the "DETROIT STYLE", just by googling that shit to the oldest existing graffiti website.

Did you google all your 1960's Philly history from the internet you know so much about? Do you know Detroit is a bigger square mile city than Philly so there was a hell of alot more ground to cover when anyone started documenting? There's ground that, in Detroit some have never, ever been documented, only passed on by word of mouth? Again, props to Detroit writers past & present. Know your history, love it, and fuck anyone tryin' to tell you what you are or ain't doin'.

• Like 2

to the radiolologist... now jue thinks hes a king becuz you tell him youd rather see garbage than so and so...man must be sweet to have a buncha dudes trying to prove themselves to you even tho u dont do work anymore. sounds like your just pissed and fueled with hate. keep putting dirt on your crews name i think its funny.

• Like 2