DETROIT GRAFFITI

Issac Brock

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 42.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DSD666

• GLEN BENTON

• wickedwacko!

• LEEZYONE

Originally posted by sect ebc+Jul 18 2005, 05:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sect ebc - Jul 18 2005, 05:39 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Luzr@Jul 17 2005, 06:21 PM

dFunk's article about Detroit graf in Real Detroit

ya i like what they said "we dont pretend what we do is art we no its not "

what the fuck is that shit LAME

whatever

[/b]

This exactly what I don't like about message boards, sometimes I just can't understand what some people are thinking. was that a "LAME" directed to the Leather Jackets, a "LAME" directed towards the quote, or possibly just a "LAME" referring to the ideal behind the statement?

Originally posted by TwoForFifty+Jul 18 2005, 04:06 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TwoForFifty - Jul 18 2005, 04:06 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by sect ebc@Jul 18 2005, 05:39 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Luzr@Jul 17 2005, 06:21 PM

whatever

This exactly what I don't like about message boards, sometimes I just can't understand what some people are thinking. was that a "LAME" directed to the Leather Jackets, a "LAME" directed towards the quote, or possibly just a "LAME" referring to the ideal behind the statement?

[/b]

ya its not "lame" refering to ljc

its more just that i think the statement was kinda lame

i mean not art ....i dont no i disagree

but thats my opinion and to say it in a mag that is doing a artical on detroit graff

its kool though no dis intended

i give yall props...........word

SEKTONE

Originally posted by TwoForFifty+Jul 18 2005, 04:06 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TwoForFifty - Jul 18 2005, 04:06 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by sect ebc@Jul 18 2005, 05:39 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Luzr@Jul 17 2005, 06:21 PM

whatever

[/b]

ya its not "lame" refering to ljc

its more just that i think the statement and ideal was kinda lame

i mean not art ....i dont no... i disagree

but thats my opinion ,and to say it in a mag that is doing a artical on detroit graff?

its kool though no dis intended

i give yall props...........word

SEKTONE

:krunk: :krunk: :jpotato:

I did'nt like how that sounded either. If it was the mag's fault or no?

I think know what they meant, but it struck me as some bullshit.

From my guesstimates, they're not "artsy fags", but what they do is definatly art in my eyes.

graff (to me) is about dedicating yourself to something, simply for personal satisfaction. it's about pushing yourself when you suck, and continuing to push even when you're decent. it's about hiding in bushes, hanging out with friends and experiencing shit that most other people will never get to. there is an 'art' in the process, but the product is just that: a product. the better it looks, the better you are at the process. it's like taking a test in school. you didn't learn all that shit to pass the test, you learned it so you'd know it, the test is just the proof.

i have no interest in calling what i do "art". why would i? so i can make my family feel better about it? so i can get some gallery to put it up on the wall, so some bitch ass hipsters with no balls can latch onto something that makes them feel like they're not chicken shit cowards? no thanks. i don't care if people don't 'get' it. i'm not gonna blow smoke up someones ass and tell them i paint it to make the city look more exciting, i don't, fuck the city and fuck other peoples happiness. i paint for me and i paint for my friends. sometimes i want to paint for the haters, just to send a little 'simmma down nuuuh' message, but honestly, i don't even care about haters. maybe i should, but i don't.

so no, i don't think what i paint is art. if some people feel that way, that's fine, i won't argue against it, but it's not my intention. i just like painting.

In the article, dFunk poses the question of "do you think what you do is art" and Eggs replies in kind that no it's not and that art is something completely different.

So what exactly is art to him?

Personally, I think if dFunk would have thrown in "an" right before "art" in the question, it would have changed the question drastically. Instead of looking at the "product", they would be looking at the overall process of graffiti: picking your tools, scoping spots, trespassing, pulling off the job, getting out safe, etc.

If that was the case, then fuck yeah, there is an "art of graffiti" just as there is an "art of programming" or an "art of making friends". Some people are inherently good at some types of art-forms while others have to work their ass off to get to even a mediocre level.

Originally posted by stay gold.@Jul 20 2005, 02:02 AM

yous really suck at graff. half of these kids are so wack its not een funny.

whatever yo, if you don't like the D stay off. It can be dangerous for outsiders, that's not just hype. As for yous D'town bombers, keep it up, the mighty Knee Capper is lovin the way this town is lighting up. Shit, if I'm not mistakin, this is the most shit Detroit's ever had up ever - every hood, every bomb zone - its on! Wack? It caught your attention and you're posting something, so it must have hit a nerver somewhere. Do the amount of drugs we in the D do - then you might understand....

the act of graffiti is pretty much just spraying "art" on a wall.. in my eyes. there are exceptions though, depending on your ultimate purpose, i guess.

even if you dont consider your graff "art". its still being creative, your taking your skill in the area of "art", and just putting it on the street rather than in an art show. thats just my opinion.. its one in the same, just applied differently!

The question is not “is graffiti art?’ the real question is what is truly art? Plato believed that if art serves no purpose in the community it should be discarded from his republic. Eggs was right, he is not an artist. His work serves no purpose. All it does is fuck up Detroit. That is not how I feel about graffiti it has a meneing the Leather Jackets are misrepresenting themselves and others. The city is depressed and paintings bring joy and happy ness to a hopeless society they show and caper pure freedom that one day we may all achieve. The expression of an idea is an act of art and panting is just a way to portray an idea. It is all so enjoyable and art is nonobjective so to rate it is an insult. Seeking you does not know what art is.

Mindless painters

Smoke a fat blunt with a pregnant 13 year old