The Skateboard Thread

SPORTO

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

hubba 80s. they are normal size (in the 50s)but super bouncy. and all crazy neon shit, hence the name 80s.

personally i ride powell bombers 60mm 85a. filmer wheels really but i ride them all the time. i also just got some rat bones re issues- they are 60mm 90as. havent broken them in yet though so well see.

I wanna get some soft ass wheels that aren't huge, something I can cruise on but still get tricks in. Any suggestions?

ABARWH-560-1.jpg

I grabbed a set of these a few months back when i finally started skating a bit again, since i was on some ancient, tiny ass, worn down wheels and all the streets around me were haggard as all hell. I don't know if they're as soft as you're looking for, but they definitely have some give to them and they're only 56mm. Some of the sites i've seen them on classify them as filmers' wheels, but they're not giant like a lot of the other filmer wheels out there.

They're called Autobahn All-Road, and they're 80A, though to be honest i never really knew what numbers constitute super soft, but i always used to ride wheels in the high 90s, and these are noticeably softer and a lot easier to ride on chunky/rough terrain.

When i was looking for a pair of softer wheels, those ricta's that leo posted in 54mm were another set that i wanted to check out, but my local shop only had the autobahns. I know people who skate wheels by both of those companies though and seem happy with them both, so i'd say either would be a decent choice. Or just go down to your local shop and check out what wheels they have in the 50-60mm range that are around 80-85a.

I just got a set of Earthwing Superballs and they're fucking great. I think they're 55mm and something like 82a. Perfect city wheels.

Ricta clouds-- the ones Leotuck posted the link too-- are also good, soft as fuck (78A), and I think you can get them as small as 54 mm, though the edges are less rounded so you might not like them quite as much for flip tricks.

Watch out with soft wheels if you ride looser trucks. I ground down an old pair of 80's wheels and tried them out. I got wheel bite and had the board just stop on me like I hit a pebble, and sliding the last 10 degrees on tricks is basically impossible. They are rad for cruising though, and make your board quieter. I like that.

I don't know what kind of Carharts I had. They were dark rinse jeans, and had a Carhart label on them. They were $20 or so, which is the most I'll spend on pants. I don't know why someone's getting all bent up about it. I like them because the wash is real dark and they're indestructible.

Watch out with soft wheels if you ride looser trucks. I ground down an old pair of 80's wheels and tried them out. I got wheel bite and had the board just stop on me like I hit a pebble, and sliding the last 10 degrees on tricks is basically impossible. They are rad for cruising though, and make your board quieter. I like that.

Yeah, having to fully and cleanly rotate your tricks was one of the first things i noticed, but as you said, they're fucking nice for cruising, skating rough spots, or skating at night with low visibility since they can ride over a lot of little shit like pebbles, sticks, cracks, etc that might send you flying with smaller, harder wheels. Also, forcing yourself to land all your tricks cleanly instead of powersliding that last 15 degrees isn't the worst thing in the world.

Edit: also, the softer wheels tend to be a little slower, as dao mentioned earlier, so if you're the type of skater who likes to haul ass, you're probably going to need to step up to some faster bearings to get the same results as you would with harder wheels

I think the bushings in my trucks are crapping out. I have had them since November and I have ridden at least two times a week if not every single day since then. They are still at the looseness that I want them to be but I needed to tighten then today. My question is: Should I just get new trucks when I can or is there a way to fix it. I can't turn the nut anymore at this point and they are still somewhat loose.

I think the bushings in my trucks are crapping out. I have had them since November and I have ridden at least two times a week if not every single day since then. They are still at the looseness that I want them to be but I needed to tighten then today. My question is: Should I just get new trucks when I can or is there a way to fix it. I can't turn the nut anymore at this point and they are still somewhat loose.

Having to adjust your trucks a little every now and then is normal, especially in the summer, cause the bushings get softer with the heat.

Then you gotta loosen them a little in the winter cause they get hard and tighten up.

But if it's to the point where your kingpin wont tighten anymore, then I don't know what to tell you.

I never heard of bushings getting that smashed.

What kind of trucks you riding?

maybe it isn't the bushings. I dunno haha. They are Royal mids. How about this how long do your trucks normally last before you replace them? Mine are a problem yet, But I figured I'd try and get some information when I still remembered that I noticed it was looser than normal. They will still probably be good for a while, but I am going to have some extra cash soon (hopefully) so I wanted to know if it was worth it to buy new ones.

maybe it isn't the bushings. I dunno haha. They are Royal mids. How about this how long do your trucks normally last before you replace them? Mine are a problem yet, But I figured I'd try and get some information when I still remembered that I noticed it was looser than normal. They will still probably be good for a while, but I am going to have some extra cash soon (hopefully) so I wanted to know if it was worth it to buy new ones.

Depends on how you skate, and what brand they are.

Indy's are the only truck that I've ever had last long enough to grind to the axle, but I've seen people grind Ventures to the axle once or twice.

If your trucks are jacked and you can't tighten your shit to where you want them, then at least buy new bushings. But you usually have to get new kingpins to go along with them if your shit's grinded down.

I'd just get new trucks if you aint poor. It aint even worth the hassle trying to change your shit out if you can afford to just get new trucks.