murder? - Terry Schiavo ordeal

sleepyceas2-

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

while watching fox news over the past couple of weeks (yeah, it gets me geared up), i have noticed that the republi-nazi's ahve been dilligently smearing michael schiavo.

those fuckers don't even take into consideration that terri is trapped inside her own head with no means to communicate her thoughts or feelings to the outside world.

reminds me of that book "johnny got his gun"

and the song about it.

I can’t remember anything

Can’t tell if this is true or dream

Deep down inside I feel the scream

This terrible silence stops me

Now that the war is through with me

I’m waking up I can not see

That there's not much left of me

Nothing is real but pain now

Hold my breath as I wish for death

Oh please god,wake me

Back in the war it’s much too real

In pumps life that I must kill

But can’t look forward to reveal

Look to the time when I lived

Fed through the tube that sticks in me

Just like a wartime novelty

Tied to machines that make me be

Cut this life out from me

Hold my breath as I wish for death

Oh please god,wake me

Now the world is gone I’m just one

Oh god,help me hold my breath as I wish for death

Oh please God help me

Darkness imprisoning me

All I see

Absolute horror

I cannot live

I cannot die

Trapped in myself

Body my holding cell

Landmine has taken my sight

Taken my speech

Taken my hearing

Taken my arms

Taken my legs

Taken my soul

Left me with life in hell

i hear ya, but it's hard to ignore it being a news junky.

we hear way too much about peoples personal lives. way too much.

and then the govt steps in. state and federal. that makes it even more of a news story. how many thousands of people in america alone are in the same position? how many do we hear about? one.

the way i see it: we have allowed our media and government to overstep their boundaries.

Here's a very good article off CNN.com explaining how Terry Shiavo's living corpse is not feeling any pain.

Remember folks, it's like she's there physically, but on another plane mentally. Like a chicken with it's head cut off that hasn't stopped running around in circles for the past 15 years.

------------------

http://www.medpagetoday.com/tbindex.cfm?tb...s&CatName=&CID=

MedPage Today Action Points

* News stories on the Schiavo case often contain confusing and misleading information. Explain the clinical aspects of the diagnosis of persistent vegetative state to patients who ask.

* The Schiavo case has increased interest in living wills and advanced directives. Explain these options for end-of-life decisions to patients.

Review

CLEVELAND-Patients in a persistent vegetative state like Terri Schiavo are a subgroup who suffer severe anoxic brain injury and progress to a state of wakefulness without awareness.

It is judged to be permanent after three months if induced nontraumatically. After 3 months, recovery is rare and life expectancy is approximately 2 to 5 years.

Patients in a persistent vegetative state do not feel pain, nor do they "suffer," says Michael De Georgia, MD, head of the neurology-neurosurgery intensive care unit at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation here.

Pain, as well as suffering, requires consciousness, which is lacking in a person in a persistent vegetative state, says Dr. De Georgia.

"Certainly these patients don't suffer," he adds. "Suffering is really that whole emotional aspect of pain: fear, anxiety, panic surrounding pain. You have to have consciousness to experience these emotions. So just as a person in a persistent vegetative state can't experience pain because of a lack of consciousness, they also don't suffer."

The issue of the potential pain and suffering of Schiavo, 41, the Florida woman who doctors say has been in a persistent vegetative state for 15 years, has become a national cause celebre. On Friday doctors at a Florida hospice removed Ms. Schiavo's feeding tube after a Florida judge approved the action. Since then President Bush signed a rapidly approved law that puts her fate in the hands of a federal court judge. A federal judge in Florida then refused to order doctors to reinsert the feeding tube, and the Schindlers' lawyers said they intend to appeal immediately to the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals based in Atlanta.

This marks the third time Ms. Schiavo has been taken off enteral nutrition during a long and contentious legal battle between her husband - Michael Schiavo who says his wife would want the tube removed - and Ms. Schiavo's parents who steadfastly maintain that their daughter would not want the tube removed. The parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, say their daughter responds to them and is not in a persistent vegetative state.

Dr. De Georgia says that a patient in a persistent vegetative state can experience arousal, meaning that the patient's eyes may be open and the patient may laugh, cry or appear to track someone who is in the room.

And that is what can be confusing for people, especially relatives, he says. "For example, a patient in persistent vegetative state will grasp your hand. In fact if you put anything into the patient's hand, the hand will grasp it. But this is a very primitive reaction. A newborn baby will grasp your finger, but there is no consciousness."

It is consciousness that determines whether one can "feel" pain in the sense that most people understand when they talk about feeling pain.

This doesn't mean that a patient like Terri Schiavo won't respond to pain stimulus - if you pinch her arm, she is like to flinch away. "That is called nociception," De Georgia says. "Tissue is damaged by the pinch, this generates a response in a receptor, which sends an impulse along the peripheral nerves. This impulse travels to the thalamus, which directs the arm to withdraw," he said. It is what is commonly called a reflex.

Pain, on the other hand, is the recognition of nociception by the nervous system, which sends the impulse to regions of the brain where consciousness exists. In the case of a severely brain injured person - one in a persistent vegetative state - those areas of consciousness have been destroyed, and as result "they don't 'feel' pain."

RIP ... now she can find her way off this plane.

And this wont be the end for the argument .... its still a political issue and may become a stronger argument now.

the media is overstepping their place, yet its up to you if you make yourself open to take it in.

Originally posted by ERIZENO@Mar 31 2005, 11:52 AM

RIP ... now she can find her way off this plane.

And this wont be the end for the argument .... its still a political issue and may become a stronger argument now.

the media is overstepping their place, yet its up to you if you make yourself open to take it in.

yeah, you are correct. we have to make a point of when to say 'enough is enough' to ourselves as well as the media and politicians.

Originally posted by S@T@N@Mar 31 2005, 02:18 PM

Yeah... I gotta agree. There was actually talk yesterday of

putting her back on the tube. At that point, you've kinda

tortured her enough already.

...To take the edge off: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/228568

Technically it wasn't torture, she can't (couldn't) feel anything. But whatever, it doesn't matter anymore.

rip finally,dont you think its alot more peaceful being dead than sitting in a bed all day with your face on the news while people debate wether or not to pull the plug on you...well theres no way it could be stressful for her,but more less her husband had to be fuckin tired of it...

I think it's rediculous how the same people that find it a "moral" issue to put so much energy into keeping a comatose brain-dead woman breathing (when she should be aloud to just fucking die already), are for the most part the same doushbags that are 100% behind their "president" sending our troops to die while killing people (mostly inoscent civilians mind you) in another country on the other side of the world that posed absolutely no threat to us.

I'll bet if she owned some huge oil feild they would have unpluged the poor bitch 10 years ago. :rolleyes:

Oh, the fucking irony! :burn:

I'm sure it's been said a million times already, but once again, this can serve as a lesson to the rest of us to have a living will made. You don't have to go thru lawyers or legal hoops to get one, you can easily pick up a legal form at a stationary, office or legal supply store. You can even write it out on scratch paper and just get it notarized.

Archived