Beginning Bible for Graffiti Writers

why write?

You guys heard of that movie paranormal activity? Well most people don't know this but the girl on that show was a writer. She tagged some tombstone and thats when all that crazy stuff stated happening, then that movie was made. Lesson is don't tag a tombstone unless you want your ass haunted on by a ghost. True story bro

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Hey there!

This is my first post; it's my introduction, as I couldn't find an official thread for it.

I'm a freelance web and graphic designer.. I've been interested in writing for a while and finally decided to get my feet wet. I don't plan on actually tagging anything for a while, although I have quite a few pencil sketches. I'd like to get ahold of some alcohol markers and see how different blending colours is on paper from Photoshop.. and possibly try some spraying on plywood strips.

I'll post some of my works when I get a chance!

• 4 weeks later...
Hey there!

This is my first post; it's my introduction, as I couldn't find an official thread for it.

I'm a freelance web and graphic designer.. I've been interested in writing for a while and finally decided to get my feet wet. I don't plan on actually tagging anything for a while, although I have quite a few pencil sketches. I'd like to get ahold of some alcohol markers and see how different blending colours is on paper from Photoshop.. and possibly try some spraying on plywood strips.

Well aren't you a rebellious little hoodlum.

Hey there!

Man, this is the wrong site for you...

If you young and trying to get out and paint jus ask if your parents can drop you off at the mall or movies and shit. Make sure its close to a place you can get paint at. Then buy or rack some and go bombing. This makes sure you not close to your house and it is a way to get around. Hope this helps someone.

I actually don't understand what is so "unfortunate". What a backwards way of thinking when looking at the "digital divide" amongst grafitti writers. Some of the old school have been progressing in propagating knowledge, flicks, interviews, etc... online plus access to the proper writing/ artist tools and supplies. when I was a kid, we didn't have the internet for all this. The newer kids will be smarter than us because they have more available to them and has already changed the graf scene.

true, but i think he's right. internet will get you exposed. but without the experience of the day to day, who cares if the person holds a degree. ya know. not dissing, just trying to show you a different angle.

p.s.- forgot the quote... this is the revised post. haha.

also... big ups 12oz, i had the first 2 issues. also... a friend was in the 3rd issue (technology issue - the etcha sketch piece) great times with 12 oz. glad to see you guys are still here. i think it's been 17 years... DAMN!

true, but i think he's right. internet will get you exposed. but without the experience of the day to day, who cares if the person holds a degree. ya know. not dissing, just trying to show you a different angle.

p.s.- forgot the quote... this is the revised post. haha.

also... big ups 12oz, i had the first 2 issues. also... a friend was in the 3rd issue (technology issue - the etcha sketch piece) great times with 12 oz. glad to see you guys are still here. i think it's been 17 years... DAMN!

someone messaged me. if i didn't make myself clear, i apologize.

i was agreeing with ClueTWO, and respectively disagreeing with PearlPaint. Although the internet has helped a lot of people, but it has created more posers then ever!

I will say, sometimes posers help boost the popularity. There's more dumb followers on this earth then smart leaders.

from what i was told be cats who are true to the game when i was about 12 years old:

dont write on every mail box, electric box, wall, business or anythign in sight. no one wants to see your shitty tag over and over on the same block - graff writer or not

dont bite. look at other styles and develope from them. or if your lucky, practice with the styles that other writers give you and develope from those.

dont write all over your room and dont keep a bunch of black books. keep everything organized. be ready to throw your blackbooks out too, youll be sicker in a year anyways. sketch and doodle and practice on paper then shred it or throw it out.

dont do stupid non-graffiti related shit to get you caught up for writing. i.e. stealing bikes and getting snitched on and the cops searching your house for the stolen property and stumbling upon everything.

rack what you need, but not in excess. dont blow the spot up. I, sadly have done with this with decos. i went having shitloads of deco paint pens because they were so easy to get, to have NONE because theyre all behind the counter now.

dont dont dont go over sick shit. ever. throw ups over tags, pieces over throw ups, burners over pieces

crossing people out is ugly and it just sucks. go over the person with something sicker. if you cant - you dont need to be going over them. if some bitch keeps crossing you out, fight them.

bridges are fun to hit in the day, but know your surroundings , look to see whos around when you go under the bridge, and LISTEN while your under the bridge.

when your out writing wear NICE FITTING jeans, and a blank t-shirt. no logos. especially if you live in a smaller town they can id you by your clothing.

dont admit to anything. tell the cops you dont want to be questioned. DONT SNITCH. cops lie more than a crackhead wanting money for food. "well, your homeboy said this is you. we know its you so just fess up." well if they know its you they would have cited you so just dont say anything. if they raid your room and find drawings or anything say you copied it because you liked it. if you didnt get caght in the act you have a chance of fighting it.

COPS WILL LIE! COPS WILL LIE! rember.... COPS WILL LIE!!!!!!!!

when bombing, its a little smarter to use pens than paint for two reasons: paint gets buffed much quicker and attracts more attention. this cats been crushing my town for years with pens and hes well known. we were with our new crew for about a month and cops started making flyers looking for us. as much fame as it gives you, its not good at all. people who arent graf writers and dont know whats up with the game will snitch, especially if there is a cash reward.

dont tell all your friends your name. if they do know, switch it up. only when people go out writing with you should they know your name. dont address your homies by their "graf names". do not put them in your phone under their graff names.

and the number one thing... bomb hard. go all city, not just your neighborhood and a few blocks away. go towards busier streets and not as much in suburbs.

this is pretty much all you need to know..

The "Bible"

Starting Griffiti tip 1: Dont Listen to Others, Take advice not demands or rules. (Griffiti was once started to rebel it was a cry of artistic feelings and emotions expressed through a no rule outlook in life)

tip 2: Do your own thing, creativity is free. (If you want to tag something when your in the inspired stage do it! just don't expect it to be there for too long, When you find your talent and you are able to display that accuratly, you will see your "art" work ten fold and it will be respected and left alone.)

Why did you start drawing? find that out and you will have achieved something better then this "begginers Bible".

Limited time... Im not writting to bash this Thread, some of the "advice" that was given was great and would probably help some of the newer generation of artists, just when I here the word Dont your depreciating the value of "self" Expression. Which in my eyes is what griffiti is all about. Beginers are being sent the wrong image.

( this is all just an opinion no right or wrong thing to say )

I have enjoyed reading some of this forum though

jedi, i say your 100% right when u posted that. but what was posted in here was to help the graff writer. Writing on someones home is NOT cool at all. and yes, if your small and dont care about anything you might write on someones house b/c in fact it is a spot and it may be a great spot at that! but its just something that shouldnt be done. And im sure everyone who reads the graff bible knows they arnt really rules but just stuff graff writers arnt expected to do. now if you want to write on houses and destroy shit then maybe you should join a gang (they have tagging aswell)

I do agree I was aware of the helpful tips that were given just wanted to have something posted to advert the mind of there being a displaced "rule book" on whats right and whats wrong.

Sure tagging something haggard on a wall is not very apealing and to tag it on somones house in the first place would be just an ignorant thing to do, unless of course its territorial as some of these "gang" members do.

Someone should thread " the meaning of gang taggers " I wouldn't mind a good laugh.

Cheers Zeek seems that you have a good outlook .

• 3 weeks later...

please dont write where you live. my roomate caught some inspiration off me but wouldnt listen to my advice, he painted his whole room with no ventilation and tagged our garbage cans house and street signs on our road. Kid blew up spots and talked about shit all the time openly. Long story short , i moved out of town

I sometimes have a hard time with the 3D or finding the light source. Any tips to finding the proper placement? And yes, I practice, and yes I do simples. I'm just a perfectionist, and want it to be pristine.

Don't be a perfectionist, it will drive you crazy wit graff.