Toys post here...

swif1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

@Ray40- some tag inspiration for you, as well. Not sure where you’re getting your inspiration from for your tags, but they should be simple and clean. No drop shadows, no shields...

(I know your name doesn’t come from Star Wars but Ray made me think of that, and well...)

A8251E0C-DF8E-4C08-9C98-E1B2D6BCF0C2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Props 1

@Ray40- What I would do, is pick one or two of the tags that you like most and just copy them line for line. Don't embellish them adding arrows and quotation marks slashing through the arrow, just copy them. The best way to do this is to trace them. If you have access to print them out, even if that means going to Kinkos and paying $1.50 for a couple prints, print them out and just trace them. Do it over and over and over until your hand/arm is going through the motions quickly, freely, and without hesitation. 

The throwies... The bottom left one is probably your best bet as a starter. It's simple, clean, and fairly easy to learn. Again, copy it line for line until you can do it without looking at the original. 

On 12/30/2019 at 7:28 PM, Ray40 said:

^ to add on to this, if you were to give examples of how graffiti has changed your life for the better and made you a better person, that my help my case.  If my parents recognized how important it is then maybe they will give it a chance

This I can answer...

Graffiti has given me opportunities I never thought I would part of, for which I'm incredibly lucky, and very grateful. Some examples :

1. Art shows in Europe, England, and Japan, as well as several cities in the US and Canada

2. Travel all over the world to paint with my peers 

3. Unique projects with world brands like Nike, Adidas, and others

4. In an odd way led me on a career path doing what I love to do for my 9 to 5 job (only took 45 years - LOL!)

5. Life long friendships with folks who inspire me every day

Yeah, being a writer is a tough sport. It's not for the faint of heart and it's not for the person solely looking to get famous. Being a writer is about testing yourself daily, and pushing yourself constantly. In a very unhealthy way it's a great for teaching yourself discipline. Personally, I think what separates one writer from the crowd is personal drive mixed with a good dose of natural talent. Anything can be taught, but once on your own those teachings can only hold you up for so long. Your personal drive and natural talent will determine your next move.

Like anything - you get out of it what you put into it. If you're lucky enough to have a mentor or have someone teaching you the basics but you keep repeating the same habits instead of following their lead, you'll always be toy. And chances are you'll drop out of the game within a year or two. This happens all the time. For every hundred writers that start today, 99 will drop out by March, if not sooner. To quote Rakim - follow the leader.

Bottom line - it's a lifestyle, simple as that. I compare it to sport for just that reason - you spend hours practicing your craft, you spend hours executing it, you test yourself and your mettle constantly, and your goal is to get better and better. That's sport. And like sport, the wrong move can be devastating... but don't share that part with your parents. 

• Truth 1
  • Props 1

50 minutes ago, Joker said:

@Ray40- What I would do, is pick one or two of the tags that you like most and just copy them line for line. Don't embellish them adding arrows and quotation marks slashing through the arrow, just copy them. The best way to do this is to trace them. If you have access to print them out, even if that means going to Kinkos and paying $1.50 for a couple prints, print them out and just trace them. Do it over and over and over until your hand/arm is going through the motions quickly, freely, and without hesitation. 

The throwies... The bottom left one is probably your best bet as a starter. It's simple, clean, and fairly easy to learn. Again, copy it line for line until you can do it without looking at the original. 

Thanks I will try that 

25 minutes ago, Joker said:

This I can answer...

Graffiti has given me opportunities I never thought I would part of, for which I'm incredibly lucky, and very grateful. Some examples :

1. Art shows in Europe, England, and Japan, as well as several cities in the US and Canada

2. Travel all over the world to paint with my peers 

3. Unique projects with world brands like Nike, Adidas, and others

4. In an odd way led me on a career path doing what I love to do for my 9 to 5 job (only took 45 years - LOL!)

5. Life long friendships with folks who inspire me every day

Yeah, being a writer is a tough sport. It's not for the faint of heart and it's not for the person solely looking to get famous. Being a writer is about testing yourself daily, and pushing yourself constantly. In a very unhealthy way it's a great for teaching yourself discipline. Personally, I think what separates one writer from the crowd is personal drive mixed with a good dose of natural talent. Anything can be taught, but once on your own those teachings can only hold you up for so long. Your personal drive and natural talent will determine your next move.

Like anything - you get out of it what you put into it. If you're lucky enough to have a mentor or have someone teaching you the basics but you keep repeating the same habits instead of following their lead, you'll always be toy. And chances are you'll drop out of the game within a year or two. This happens all the time. For every hundred writers that start today, 99 will drop out by March, if not sooner. To quote Rakim - follow the leader.

Bottom line - it's a lifestyle, simple as that. I compare it to sport for just that reason - you spend hours practicing your craft, you spend hours executing it, you test yourself and your mettle constantly, and your goal is to get better and better. That's sport. And like sport, the wrong move can be devastating... but don't share that part with your parents. 

This is sooooo great thanks so much 

1 hour ago, Fist 666 said:

One time @Jokerwas able to trade a painting for a mountain bike, I can't believe that didn't make his list...🤣

It’s on my CV 😉

I loved that bike. Got me excited about racing mountain bikes. Sucks that some log maker stole it along with over twenty other bikes in the bike storage area. To this day I still don’t understand how someone walks out of a secure building with over twenty bikes when there’s a 24 hour concierge and cameras everywhere. Some people suck. 

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, Hua Guofang said:

Picking me up from the police station hurt my parents hard.

Related story...

I'm 16, only been at it for about a year, I was painting a handball wall, was about about 3/4 of the way done, it's close to 3am, and as I'm standing on the top bit of a pallet leaning against the wall... I'm rushed by cops, arrested, and taken to jail. At 7am one of the cops comes to the holding cell and tells me they called the number I gave them for my mom and told her that they have her son in holding. She asked what they were talking about, he told her again, and she replied "you must have the wrong number... I don't have a son that stupid". So I sat in holding until they were ready to let me go. I didn't see my mom for a few days but when I did... oh damn, damn, damn. Lesson learned. Don't have the cops call mom to come get you. I still remember her yelling at me "You wanna be a bad-ass?? Hunh?" - like an idiot I said yes, to which she replied "Bad-asses don't get caught doing dumb shit". Noted. My mom always had my back unless it was my fault, my own wrong-doing, and then she called it like it was. Had to respect that. 

• Like 2
  • Truth 1
  • LOL! 1

15 hours ago, Ray40 said:

have I improved @Joker?

Yes, absolutely. 

I know you want to add your own style, your own voice... and I like that you're doing so... but the arrow with two slashes through it on some of your tags, that little embellishment is a toy's calling card. If you asked me what's the one thing you could do to make them look better - I would tell you to stop with the arrow and two slashes. 

Nice work pushing through with the throwups - they look good. 

• Like 1