Caseks-Computer-Corner

RumPuncher

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

does anyone know if i can copy a cookie from the computer at work and put in into my computer at home? the thing is, my work computer automatically logs me into 12oz, but i forgot my password, and my home computer doesn't have the cookie. when i try having the site send me my password, it never arrives. if i copy the cookie from my work computer to my home computer, will it work?

I know this has probably been asked in her 30 times already but can anyone throw me a link to a good spy/adware cleaner? I've been using spysweeper but last night my boy (who doesn't know dick about computers/le internet) installed some shit while trying to get snes emulators... now I've got 'webtools' and some other bullshit stuck in my registry and I can't even get rid of by deleting the source files/folders because they're permanently in use....

Sorry, no need for explaining anything.. hit me with a link and I'll be set.

Originally posted by 26SidedCube@Nov 29 2004, 03:14 PM

I know this has probably been asked in her 30 times already but can anyone throw me a link to a good spy/adware cleaner? I've been using spysweeper but last night my boy (who doesn't know dick about computers/le internet) installed some shit while trying to get snes emulators... now I've got 'webtools' and some other bullshit stuck in my registry and I can't even get rid of by deleting the source files/folders because they're permanently in use....

Sorry, no need for explaining anything.. hit me with a link and I'll be set.

Ad-Aware and Spybot.

what's up anyone out there...

i have a question.

i'm looking into getting a new external hard drive.

what do people recommend?

a plain WesternDigital 160gb firewire400, usb2.0 drive

or some Maxtor usb2.0 160gb...

i was wanting this 180 gb laCie d2 firewire 800, 400, usb2.0 drive

i seen it "good as new" on ebay...

what's the worst that can happen getting it on eBay?

Originally posted by casekonly@Nov 29 2004, 04:27 PM

yeah, go with spybot and get the update off the download page.

adaware is worth it, too.

btw: a new version of peerguardian has been release. it's peerguardian lite. so far all those people with slower computers....grab it

http://www.methlabs.org

and for the list, http://www.methlabs.org/sync

you know... i never realized just how much of a strain Peerguardian put on my computer until i opened Task Manager and viewed the processes running and saw that Peerguardian was using 43% of my CPU (this was while i was downloading stuff with Soulseek, so it was constantly checking its list to see if the IPs were acceptable or not)

i don't know about the new Peerguardian you're talking about... but i opted for Protowall and found that it's a lot better in my opinion. it's a pain in the ass to install, because you need to manually install a driver for it, and you need to install Blocklist Manager in order to get the block lists for Protowall to use... but from what i can tell so far it's worth it. it already blocked a few packets from leaving my computer that were sent out by some spyware that i didn't know i had (Spy Sweeper/Spybot hadn't found it). and it uses virtually none of the CPU because it's assimilated with a windows driver that deals with all incoming/outgoing data. i would definitely recommend it, but i'm gonna check out Peerguardian Lite as well...

*edit... you can get it here

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah so I downloaded that peerguardian and I'm loving it right. I'm surfing around myspace and I'm realizing that alot of peoples sites have these tracking, data mining IPs on them! I think that whole network is busted! Alot of people got those bugs.

I think SPAED has the worst I've seen yet. I went to his page and peerguardian blocked 6 or 7 IPs... I wrote him a message saying how I understand why he is so paranoid now... and he has good reason to be....

for dvd ripping i suggest imtoo. find it on kazaa or shareaza or whatever...

http://www.isohunt.com for you torrent heads.

for the peerguardian comments...i dig it too, regardless of the strain it puts on your comp....there is a 'lite' version, but i haven't used it yet...and i hear protowall is a good proggy, too. i've got a copy, just ahven't installed it.

Originally posted by effyoo@Dec 9 2004, 03:05 AM

big casek money oner,

i have a dvd .mdf file and i want to watch it. i got alcohol 120 and when it starts to play it, it says that sub picture can't play. basically i can hear the sound but not see the video....

this happens in daemon tools too.

if you have a DVD burner, burn the .mdf file onto a DVD... that's what i did with CD image .mdf files... i never knew you could 'use' one without burning it... i thought it was alcohol's own file extension for image files.... or something...

^^ i'm trying to avoid burning it. basically, i don't want to go all the way to best buy to get dvds. i tried converting it to a .nrg using ISOpen but that just gets the same result.

there has to be a way to do it. this is the age of not paying for stuff, somebody must know how!

Guest im not witty

ok, so heres the deal. i installed windows pack 2, and when i did it, certain images on seemingly random websites stopped loading, and animated gifs werent animated anymore.

i sent a email to support and they gave me some cmd prompts to put in, i followed their advice and it fixed the problem for about a month.

now the same websites images wont load. gifs are once again non moving, AND NOW, my windows media player wont stream video off a link, i have to save it to c: and my AOL instant messenger wont ever connect to the AIM server. all of these problems appeared at the same time.

i tried doing the steps they suggested the first time that knocked the same problems right out, but now that does nothing.

sooooooo. someone tell me whats wrong and how to fix it.

Originally posted by im not witty@Dec 9 2004, 05:32 PM

ok, so heres the deal. i installed windows pack 2, and when i did it, certain images on seemingly random websites stopped loading, and animated gifs werent animated anymore.

i sent a email to support and they gave me some cmd prompts to put in, i followed their advice and it fixed the problem for about a month.

now the same websites images wont load. gifs are once again non moving, AND NOW, my windows media player wont stream video off a link, i have to save it to c: and my AOL instant messenger wont ever connect to the AIM server. all of these problems appeared at the same time.

sooooooo. someone tell me whats wrong and how to fix it.

sounds like your firewall settings are shot to hell, just adjust your firewall settings and make sure aim and other programs you use are considered exceptions and not being blocked by the firewall.

Guest im not witty

i checked that as best as i knew how, it said that aim was being allowed by my firewall. i dunno. theses are they commands that worked the first time but now dont work.

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd and press Enter.

2. At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing Enter

after each line.

REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL

REGSVR32 ACTXPRXY.DLL

REGSVR32 SHDOCVW.DLL

REGSVR32 MSHTML.DLL

REGSVR32 BROWSEUI.DLL

REGSVR32 MSJAVA.DLL (may not exist, not a problem)

REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL

REGSVR32 VBSCRIPT.DLL

EXIT

Guest im not witty

i installed gaim, it still wont connect. my firewall says aim is allowed through, but to check, i turned the fucking thing off, and it still wont connect to the aim server.

on top of that, 25% of all internet images wont load, i just get x's or a blank screen that says its done loading. wtf.

Originally posted by effyoo@Dec 9 2004, 01:05 AM

big casek money oner,

i have a dvd .mdf file and i want to watch it. i got alcohol 120 and when it starts to play it, it says that sub picture can't play. basically i can hear the sound but not see the video....

this happens in daemon tools too.

anyone?

loading it in a virtual drive in daemon tools or in alcohol 120 yeilds the exact same result: before it starts playing, it says that the subpicture is not available for playback.

don't make me go buy a dvd burnrer just to see if it'll work on that....