bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I'm starting to get back into riding but need to ditch my current bike. im looking for a somewhat cheap fixed gear, and kinda narrowed it down between the giant bowery '72 and fuji classic track. both get good reviews mostly, the giant is 100 bucks more (i assume because of brakes/flip hub.) what would you guys suggest?

this.

its about having fun....if you are using it as a trend it will show and you wont last....

just like with anything.

no need to hate on someone wanting to get out there and ride a BICYCLE....any kind I dont care...

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah buddy. the fools i ride bikes with we all ride different shit. we just ride around and fuck around. its fun to have fun sometimes.

austin didnt kill me like i thought man...haha

ate shit hard on 2 whiskey drunk nights though. FUCK IT

i would suggest getting a geared bike if you're interested in riding

i would suggest owning both bikes....if you can afford it. hating on fixed gear bikes just to hate is just as wack as riding them for the trend and not because you enjoy the ride that only a fixed gear can provide.

Haters.jpg

i would suggest owning both bikes....if you can afford it. hating on fixed gear bikes just to hate is just as wack as riding them for the trend and not because you enjoy the ride that only a fixed gear can provide.

i don't hate fixed gear bikes.

i hate fixed gear bikes when they're not being used for what they were designed to be and people that think riding them is something special or elite or even functional.

you don't see folks riding bmx bikes or dh bikes in the tour de france, road bikes on a DH course, or beach cruisers at the skate park.

track bikes ARE made to be ridden on the track, that is the only place you can possibly justify having a fixed gear, and probably the only place you can justify the geometry that those bikes have. (the messenger argument of being able to leave it for a quick second w/o locking it up is moot at this point).

its an unnecessary step back technologically speaking.

'only the ride a fixed gear can provide' haha what a crock of shit.

pbpic3056033.jpg

(this is a functional bike with a color scheme that should appeal to fixie kids, and its made to do tricks with!!!)

fixed gear bikes cant be "proper" bikes? you sound like a re-re.

haha sorry obviously they are proper bikes, but for someone just getting back into cycling I would say get a geared bike first then a fixie after.

I have just got back into riding myself and recently tried riding my brothers fixie and for someone just getting back into cycling I dont really think it is a practical choice.

• Like 1

i don't hate fixed gear bikes.

i hate fixed gear bikes when they're not being used for what they were designed to be and people that think riding them is something special or elite or even functional.

you don't see folks riding bmx bikes or dh bikes in the tour de france, road bikes on a DH course, or beach cruisers at the skate park.

track bikes ARE made to be ridden on the track, that is the only place you can possibly justify having a fixed gear, and probably the only place you can justify the geometry that those bikes have. (the messenger argument of being able to leave it for a quick second w/o locking it up is moot at this point).

its an unnecessary step back technologically speaking.

'only the ride a fixed gear can provide' haha what a crock of shit.

pbpic3056033.jpg

(this is a functional bike with a color scheme that should appeal to fixie kids, and its made to do tricks with!!!)

you are starting a whole other topic of conversation here...which has nothing to do with what you quoted.

fixed gear purest..aficionado or elitist do what they do for their own reasons. that is not who i am. i ride a fixed gear for the type of ride it provides when i want that type of ride.whats so hard to understand about that. i also have a mountain bike with gears when i want the type of ride that bike provides. actually..i mostly use my mountain bike when i go paint.

you trying to argue that the only place for a fixed gear bike..98% of the time...is on a track is retarded. by the way...not everyone who rides a fixed gear road bike has track bike geometry applied to their frame. try and tell lance armstrong your narrow minded point of view towards fixed gear bikes.

contrary to most suggestions here i just bought the fuji classic track fixed gear today. or ordered it rather, should be getting it in a week or so. i'm not necessarily just "getting into" riding, i live in the city and have ridden around it a decent amount, but now i'm finding more fun in it than i did before, so i picked something up that will get me around quicker than my specialized mountain bike. which i bought to use when i'd paint or bench. all the fixed gears i've test ridden seemed pretty fun to ride so why not

• Like 1

word.

i just enjoy riding my fixed gear. it gives me kind of a feeling of unity with my bike that i don't get from my mountain bike. i'm not anti-gear or anti-brake or pro-hipster i just enjoy riding it

i'll tell you what, getting a fixed gear into/out of buildings, elevators, up and down stairs, it's just so much easier than with any other bike in my opinion. i am small but the thing is light and easy to move.

there is one other thing i adore about my fixed gear: it's SO easy to maintain. occasionally i do something to the chain or have to change a tube. that's it really.

people are pretty uppity about fixies though, and it's hilarious to me.

I've got a single speed and a road bike. I find that each one is great for various rides. If I know I'm riding a lot of flat landscape, I bring out the single speed.

I'm living in a hilly-area now, so I picked up that Fuji I posted above. It's more hassle to deal with a derailleur at times but it can go places my single speed just cant.

As for a fixed gear itself. Never liked the way they ride. I'm too fat and lazy to have to pedal non-stop.

Personally, of the three...I'd recommend the single speed with a rear brake if your environment allows.

you are starting a whole other topic of conversation here...which has nothing to do with what you quoted.

fixed gear purest..aficionado or elitist do what they do for their own reasons. that is not who i am. i ride a fixed gear for the type of ride it provides when i want that type of ride.whats so hard to understand about that. i also have a mountain bike with gears when i want the type of ride that bike provides. actually..i mostly use my mountain bike when i go paint.

you trying to argue that the only place for a fixed gear bike..98% of the time...is on a track is retarded. by the way...not everyone who rides a fixed gear road bike has track bike geometry applied to their frame. try and tell lance armstrong your narrow minded point of view towards fixed gear bikes.

that video reinforced most of how i feel about fixies.

i'm not going to put too much heart into this conversation because it really doesn't matter. the more people riding RESPONSIBLY the better. riding like an asshole without a helmet is doing nothing positive for the cycling community.

bottom line, i don't get it and don't care for it. riding a fixed gear is like listening to cassettes.

moots_uno_bike_07.jpg