INK RECIPE SUPERTHREAD

rubbish heap

Originally posted by rinse

you've had zigs leak on you? what kind of ink did you load your zig with when it leaked?

i assume you mean it leaked through the nib... how bad was it?

has it happened more than once or do you think it was just busted up marker?

the large zigs (postermans and woodcrafts) have leaked on me, but i've never had a problem with the zig glue markers...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: THE INK RECIPE SUPER THREAD

Originally posted by rubbish heap

WELCOME TO PAGE 20

Yeah. It was awhile ago when I wasn't as keen on inks, I loaded Griffin into it. I thought I had it all figured out when I put electric tape on the part where you unscrew it, and a couple layers at that. But I guess the Zig was leaking out of the nib - I used it for a solid night and gave it to a friend because I really wasn't into having a marker that I was afraid to put in my pocket (and get black spots everywhere). It could have just been a busted up marker, but after that I've been sticking to refilling Pilots with different inks because they're easier to refill, have better nibs (in my opinion) and you can get them super juiced...

Yes they come with their own nibs, and the nibs are fine (but will eventually rip off). There are better things to use an eraser nib on. I tried filling my window painter with homemade krink and it didn't work out too well, didn't really flow too great at all. A face painter would probably be a better choice because it's easier to squeeze. By the way, the nib on my Bingo Dabber tore off... blargh. I think I'm going to try making a mop with an eraser nib next time.

So filling a face painter with krink would work. What about the face apinter nibs?

I was in the middle of no where today and went into one of those little places called "Stuckey's" in the middle of nowhere and they had those window markers. Their peanut brittle made my teeth hurt.:)

griffin stains and leaves a ghost, but not by much. fiebing's stains harder than griffin, and garvey stains harder than fiebing's. griffin will leave a dull faded grey ghost usually. it comes out flat and spreads out - doesn't look to great at all. but if it's all you can get, it's fine. i'd recommend mixing it with marsh or pilot ink, though.

griffin stains and leaves a ghost, but not by much. fiebing's stains harder than griffin, and garvey stains harder than fiebing's. griffin will leave a dull faded grey ghost usually. it comes out flat and spreads out - doesn't look to great at all. but if it's all you can get, it's fine. i'd recommend mixing it with marsh or pilot ink, though.

true true.. but hitting up with the griffin applicator is hella fun. http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4df38b3127cce8689734cece90000001610'> ether - taken by nigga kyle

hellllla! :dazed: :dazed: :cool: :D

I dont know what kinda plastic you guys use, but that silver mop i made never melted.

IS OMEGA INK ANY GOOD AT ALL?

otb h2b is garbage. allllll otr, montana and so forth ink is GARBAGE. but the markers themselves are great. the otrh2b is called hard 2 buff because you cant scratch it off with your nail, and its waterproof. Ive seen it leave a tiny tiny tiny little stain on plastic... the only thing i like about it is it looks really good and flows so wonderfully.

Originally posted by AevOne718

I dont know what kinda plastic you guys use, but that silver mop i made never melted.

IS OMEGA INK ANY GOOD AT ALL?

otb h2b is garbage. allllll otr, montana and so forth ink is GARBAGE. but the markers themselves are great. the otrh2b is called hard 2 buff because you cant scratch it off with your nail, and its waterproof. Ive seen it leave a tiny tiny tiny little stain on plastic... the only thing i like about it is it looks really good and flows so wonderfully.

I HAVE BEEN GETTING REALLY GOOD DEALS ON KRINK...32 OUNCE AND 64 OUNCE CONTAINERS, IN DOWNTOWN MANHATTAN

I LIKE KRINK, BUT IT IS ONLY GOOD FOR MOPS. I USE THE PLASTIC 4OZ SHOE POLISH APPLICATOR, I TAKE OFF THAT ROUND BULLSHIT FOAM RUBBER NIB AND USE A FOLDED ERASER STRIP AS THE NIB AND IT WORKS BETTER THAN ANYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF. I DID NOTICE THAT THE CONTAINERS WITH THE KRINK GET A LITTLE SOFTER THEN BEFORE THE KRINK WAS ADDED. BUT, I HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM WITH ANY MELTING. YOU HAVE TO SHAKE UP KRINK BEFORE YOU USE IT. THEY WANT LIKE 10 BUCKS FOR A 4 oz KRINK MOP WITH THAT BULLSHIT NIB. YOU CAN GET THE SAME EXACT CONTAINER THEY USE, FOR FREE AT RITE AID (MAKE SURE NO ONE SEES YOU TAKE IT...LOL). THEN TAKE OFF THAT BULLSHIT FOAM RUBBER NIB, POUR OUT THE SHOE POLISH, RINSE IT AND DRY IT WELL. SHAKE UP YOUR KRINK AND POUR IT IN THE CONTAINER AND PUT THE FOLDED ERASER NIB IN. SHAKE IT UP HOLD IT UP SIDE DOWN FOR A FEW SECONDS TILL THE NIB IS SHINY WITH KRINK AND YOU HAVE FAT DRIPPY SILVER TAGS.

OMEGA INK SUCKS BIG TIME...IT IS TOY INK.

ALSO, SOME INK IS CHEAPER THAN OTHER INK. YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO SCRAPE WEAK INK OFF GLASS WITH YOUR FINGER NAIL. BUT, IT YOU USE IT ON A POROUS SURFACE. IT WILL SEEP IN.

JUST STICK WITH MARSH...YOU GET A WHOLE PINT FOR 15 BUCKS.

THE OTR IS OK...BUT...IT IS WAY OVER PRICED..YOU CAN GET TWICE AS MUCH MARSH FOR ONLY 5 BUCKS MORE AND MARSH IS BETTER.

NERO IS REALLY OVER RATED AND OVER PRICED...GET BLACK GARVEY FOR SERIOUS GHOSTING AND STAINING.

PLUS, IT IS ONLY ABOUT 15 BUCKS FOR AN ENTIRE PINT.

A PINT WILL LAST A LONG TIME...IF YOU ARE NOT USING IT IN SUPER DRIPPY MOPS.

rinse, to answer your question about marsh, i know from experience that it will not melt a mini wide. i'm kind of split on whether it contains xylene or not though.. from what i've heard, it does but i really can't prove it.

omen, you're right about that crappy omega ink. either way, i'd rather make krink than buy it any day. shits fulfilling, much cheaper, and you can control the variables.

it's funny how the graff companies are putting out such crappy inks with the exceptions of corio and nero.

yea omega is chump. a came with my mini-wide when i got it 4 years ago. i went through it pretty quick and got 2 more bottles back before i knew the first thing about inks. the first time i experimented with inks was in '99 with that 2nd bottle of omega... thats when i realized how shitty it is. i still have that 3rd bottle.

so what then is the skinny on corio? never used that one either. i think i'm leaning twards nero unless corio is better. of coarse corio is difficult to get stateside right?

rinse, to answer your question about marsh, i know from experience that it will not melt a mini wide.

omen, you're right about that crappy omega ink. either way, i'd rather make krink than buy it any day. shits fulfilling, much cheaper, and you can control the variables.

it's funny how the graff companies are putting out such crappy inks with the exceptions of corio and nero.

AND GARVEY AND MARSH...THEY ARE ALSO GOOD INKS. BUT, LIKE YOU SAID...MOST OF THE OTHER INKS SUCK.

BY THE WAY, MY FAVORITE MINI IS FULL OF BLACK MARSH DYE TYPE INK. IT WORKS LIKE A CHAMP. I HAVE A MINI FLOODED WITH VIOLET GARVEY AND A MINI FLOODED WITH BLACK MARSH. I HOLD IT UPSIDE DOWN TILL THE NIB GETS SHINY AND TAG AWAY...I HAVE BEEN GETTING A REALLY GOOD FLOW WITH THE MARSH AND ONE OF MY MINIS. JUST MAKE SURE YOUR NIB IS BROKEN IN AND SOFT AND IT WILL FLOW LIKE FLUID.

SOMEONE WROTE ABOUT THE WRITER "BG-183" I WENT BACK TO LOOK FOR THAT POST AND COULD NOT FIND IT. BUT BG AND I WERE GOOD FRIENDS BACK AROUND 84 TO 86. PEOPLE ALWAYS THOUGHT 183 STOOD FOR HIS STREET NUMBER. BUT, IT STOOD FOR HIS ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY THREE HAND STYLES. WHEN I WAS WRITING WITH THE TAT CREW, I MET HIM AND WE DID ALOT OF BOMBING.

ANYHOW, MARSH WILL NOT FUCK UP YOUR MINIS. I DID NOTICE THAT MARSH DOES NOT WORK THAT WELL WITH THE OTR TYPE FLOW PENS. AT FIRST IT WORKS. THEN AFTER AWHILE THE OTR TYPE NIB GETS GUNKED UP WITH THE MARSH AND THEN IT WRITES IN STREAKS. I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS A MESSED UP NIB. SO, I PUT IN A NEW NIB AND LATER ON THE SAME THING HAPPENED...IT GOT GUNKED UP.

BUT, I HAVE NOT HAD ONE PROBLEM WITH MARSH GUNKING UP A MINI NIB AND I AM USING THE NEW TYPE MINI NIB AT THAT. I JUST BROKE IT IN RIGHT. MARSH WORKS WELL WITH MOPS WITH ERASER STRIP NIBS TOO.

I'M REALLY SORRY

im really sorry if this has been asked and/or answered...im pretty sure it has, but i really tried to dig through all them old poasts and couldnt find it. really. i did.

while tinting white griffin (marsh is much too pricey and the whole buying things over the internet freaks me out) what is the best type of paint/dye to use? basically, is griffin alcohol based or otherwise? i also need to know so i can thin it with the proper thinning agent and not seperate the components.

i really appreciate folks puttin up with a question that very well could have been asked already. i wont do it again. promise.

I know that black Griffin is alcohol based. What I am uncertain of is whether the white is alcohol or water based. Either way, it's pretty weak shit in terms of permanency, but if custom colors is your thing than that's cool. You won't be able to mix it with paint, either way.

I've heard of people using Rit Dye and white Griffin in the past for custom colors. You could try this too; that would make some pretty damn weak ink, though. I would suggest using alcohol as your thinner.

An alternative would be to forget the Griff and opt instead for bucket paint, if it is custom colors you are looking for.

Okay here's the shendig. I want some good krink with medium drips.

I have waisted alot of money and paint, half being spilled on the garage floor trying to get this right. What are some good measurements for homemeade krink? I tried looking through this thread and found nothing. Someone not be mean and answer. If you don't like answering questions then don't, and odn't be a dick because no one's focing you to answer.

Originally posted by ODS-1

I have waisted alot of money and paint, half being spilled on the garage floor trying to get this right. What are some good measurements for homemeade krink? I tried looking through this thread and found nothing. Someone not be mean and answer. If you don't like answering questions then don't, and odn't be a dick because no one's focing you to answer.

No one can tell you exact paint/thinner ratios. You have to experiment until you find a ratio of your preferance, a good way to find out is to use kitchen measuring spoons graviting more towards the smaller measurements (tablespoon.. etc) so you can keep the spoon to make it exactly the same each time.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

)

I know that black Griffin is alcohol based. What I am uncertain of is whether the white is alcohol or water based. Either way, it's pretty weak shit in terms of permanency, but if custom colors is your thing than that's cool. You won't be able to mix it with paint, either way.

I've heard of people using Rit Dye and white Griffin in the past for custom colors. You could try this too; that would make some pretty damn weak ink, though. I would suggest using alcohol as your thinner.

An alternative would be to forget the Griff and opt instead for bucket paint, if it is custom colors you are looking for.

hmmm. this wasnt about permanency; sometimes i think its cool to get away from that...i just wanted to make pretty colors for as cheap as possible...as for using bucket paint i have been having the shittiest time finding face paint markers (my spot stopped carrying them cos they all went missing:confused: ) and kiwi's aint my bag so im stuck with gluemarkers, which isnt all bad at all. especially since i found a spot that no one even knows about.

Originally posted by ODS-1

its really pretty easy. i dont have exact numbers but if you want it opaque use less than 1/3 thinner (by less i mean way less) to paint and gradually add more thinner till you get it a consistency you like.