INK RECIPE SUPERTHREAD

rubbish heap

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

chalk-board eraser tips really shouldnt go in any marker with a pressure activated valve. they wouldnt be stiff enough to open the valve when you mash on them.

if you are thinking about jamming the valve open, a better bet would be too take the valve apart and then reassemble it without the spring or the plug loaded in it. if you do that though, be sure that you keep the marker standing upright or when you open the cap its gonna be messy.

Originally posted by rinse

chalk-board eraser tips really shouldnt go in any marker with a pressure activated valve. they wouldnt be stiff enough to open the valve when you mash on them.

if you are thinking about jamming the valve open, a better bet would be too take the valve apart and then reassemble it without the spring or the plug loaded in it. if you do that though, be sure that you keep the marker standing upright or when you open the cap its gonna be messy.

Exactly...you never want to use soft felt of valve type markers. However if you take out the valve, to prevent soft felt from going in the marker...take a few strong needles or pins and stick them through the felt so they kind of overlap...making it so the nib won't go in. or even two skinny nails. cut them down to get the cap back on. I have never done that with a valve type marker...I only use that technique for mops. But, I suppose it would work the same way. Your best bet is stick with the nibs that are made for valve markers and use felt for mops.

omen, about the different types of nibs..you said felt is a lot better and will last for ages..i have a felt nib which i got off a board wiper from school but it seems pretty weak to me..and easy to tear bits off..meaning it wouldnt last very long...maybe mine is a different type of felt...its nice though...allows quite a lot of ink out without even pressing hard....PIC OF THE NIB

That is very cheap felt...It is not weaved strong and it looks like you can pull it apart like cotton candy.

What you want to get is wool-felt erasers. Like the ones I have posted on the page before this one. They don't make erasers like they used too. But, the ones I posted on page 20 are the type of erasers that are mega strong.

You cannot tear or rip these suckers. You have to cut them.

So, if you are going to use felt...make sure it is made out of wool. The one you showed me looks like cotton or something.

I know exactly what you're talking about OMEN.. The shoe polish containers... It's foam nib is absolute garbage, and with use of a chemically strong homemade ink, it's even worse... The foam will literally melt away. I posted a little bit on this in the 'making stronger nibs' thread, but I basically used two-three layers of panty hose. On top of a brand new, never had ink on it, foam nib... Just to add some cushion, then wrapped with the panty hose.. The cap that the foam nib is glued onto, has a valve as well. But I took mine out, there's a slim chance that the nib would get into the bottle. But the hole that the valve used to go into is very small. About the size of a small pea, smaller than frozen pea's..

I'm not sure if what I made will outlast a eraser nib, but it's even cheaper and it's lasted at least 9 months.

The ink does flow out pretty quickly, and needs some getting used to.. Next time I make one, i'll try to add as much cushion as I can and see how strong it is.

Originally posted by TPSR?

I know exactly what you're talking about OMEN.. The shoe polish containers... It's foam nib is absolute garbage, and with use of a chemically strong homemade ink, it's even worse... The foam will literally melt away. I posted a little bit on this in the 'making stronger nibs' thread, but I basically used two-three layers of panty hose. On top of a brand new, never had ink on it, foam nib... Just to add some cushion, then wrapped with the panty hose.. The cap that the foam nib is glued onto, has a valve as well. But I took mine out, there's a slim chance that the nib would get into the bottle. But the hole that the valve used to go into is very small. About the size of a small pea, smaller than frozen pea's..

I'm not sure if what I made will outlast a eraser nib, but it's even cheaper and it's lasted at least 9 months.

The ink does flow out pretty quickly, and needs some getting used to.. Next time I make one, i'll try to add as much cushion as I can and see how strong it is.

Dam panty hose?

I have never heard of using that to make a nib in my life. But, I guess if you do not have much to work with...you have to come up with things.

It is a shame they don't still use the wool-felt erasers in the public school systems anymore. Because, when I get them off the net I can get an old skool one 6 strip eraser for less that a $1.50.

You see being that all the schools in NYC had these wide stripped ultra strong wool-felt erasers. We never had to make or come up with any other type of homemade nib. Because, nothing was or is better than wool-felt.

So, I guess the schools do not use these strong felt erasers anymore. They are using bullshit...that is why you guys are having such a hard time making decent nibs.

I can tell they don't use them in the schools or sell them in the local stores...not only because you guys are not using them. But, I had to really search the web to find out to where to get real wool erasers.

When I found out to get them. I wasted no time...I bought a dozen of the wide strip ones and a dozed of the narrower strip ones. But, they can be cut down to fit any type of marker or container. But, remember you want to fold them in half then stick them in the opening of your bombing container. You simply stick in a strip...unless it is folded. That is what makes a nib. I wish my PC cam was working so I could do a step by step demonstration on how to make a "real" mop with "real" felt nibs. Common sense should make most of you guys put a mop together. You just need the right type of container with a larger enough opening to fit a folded eraser strip in it. After it is folded, the fold will make the nib part wide preventing it from falling in the container. You just shove in the two ends into the container and the fold is your nib. It is so simple. If I had a picture...you would see exactly what I'm talking about.

You can't use the average roll on container. You have to get the Arrid XX. Because, it has a ring that holds the ball on. Once you pop that ring off, you have a wide opening. When we first started using roll on containers, they were made out of glass (glass is not used anymore) But, the glass had a plastic ring that held the ball. Once that was popped off, the ball would come out and you would pour out the deodorant and wash and dry it. Now, you had a nice bombing container, The screw on cap gave enough room to place back on. Because, the eraser nib took the place of the ball roll that rolled on the deodorant. The Arrid XX is a blue container and it is the only roll on that has that detachable ring to remove the ball. The other roll on's are one solid piece and when you take out the ball...the opening is small...so they are worthless.

Now, if you can't get the Arrid XX. And you have to use a show polish applicator. Make sure you get the round 4 oz container. Not that bullshit 2 and a half ounce non round container. Remove the shoe polish. Throw away that bullshit foam nib, wash it dry it, fill it with good ink and take the narrow type eraser strip cut it in half, fold the remaining in half and put it in the container like a plug. make sure it is folded. The exposed part of the nib will expand when you flatten it a little. Making it so it will not fall in your 4 oz container.

Then you will have a pretty good mop. with good flowing ink. Every single tag will be drippy. Plus,4 ounces is a lot of ink too.

So, you will get a lot of use out of just one filled 4 oz mop with the felt nib. The narrow eraser strips are perfect for these type of mops and it is about twice as wide as an OTR nib. Because, the felt expands once it is flattened out...I have a feeling a lot of you guys might have to see what I'm talking about. Then once you see it...you will feel foolish that you never thought of it.

But, some of you are smart enough to understand how to make "real" mops.

I am going to give the link one more time to get your "real" felt erasers...there is nothing else you can compare these to. The one on top is the narrow strip and the one under it is the wide strip. I suggest you get a couple of each. They are under a buck 50 each and it is well worth it. You can make 12 mops with one eraser. So, for a buck fifty, you can make 12 of the 4 ounce shoe polish mops...you can't beat it.

Then with the wider erasers you can make 6 mops (ultra wide type mops) for a dollar and some change. They take money orders and they have a phone number...a 1-800 number.

So, if you really want to make huge improvements on your mops and markers get the dam erasers on the link below and get famous...

(don't bother wasting your time with chap stick markers...don't waste time with wax, don't waste time making VCR mops...Just get a good container, a real felt eraser, good ink, practice your style and start bombing. Don't waste your time on foolish things)

SLIM TYPE ERASER...NARROW STRIPS

http://www.misterart.com/grouppix/528x352/2000/g2500.jpg'>

WIDE TYPE ERASER...WIDE STRIPS

http://www.misterart.com/grouppix/528x352/7000/g7898.jpg'>

Get both type for your different needs and different size mops.

You need the right kind of container to make the mop and forget about bingo markers and 2 and a half ounce shoe polish containers...those are kind of toy.

GET YOUR ERASERS HERE AT MR. ART

The only erasers I can get are the School Mate Republic 12 inch long erasers. They last a good while but they are a bitch to cut because they are so strong. The other eraser I can get is called Little Giant and it works just fine for my liking. So far with mop making I have had no problems with the nib.

Originally posted by chumbawumba

The only erasers I can get are the School Mate Republic 12 inch long erasers. They last a good while but they are a bitch to cut because they are so strong. The other eraser I can get is called Little Giant and it works just fine for my liking. So far with mop making I have had no problems with the nib.

The little Giant is the exact same eraser on the first picture I posted on the above post...it is made by Quartet...it simply has a different sticker on it...the strips are grey and somewhat narrow...to take the strips off the eraser...use a razor blade to cut the stitching.

The 5 inch republic (above) has black strips that are wider than the little giant.

But, both are good...different sizes for differnt size mops.

The republic (above) is my favorite and the cost like a dollar twenty five each.

My homeboy RIST TVS wrote me and told me about a show on the 24th in downtown Manhattan I am going to check it out....I have not seen most of the writers that are going to be there in years...some writers I have not seen in 15 years....So, it will be a big treat for me. I am getting my markers ready to sign black books and to have my black book signed.

When I told my wife about it...she did some research and found out the data on the link below.

This way I will get to see who some of you are, if you show up.

Alot of my old skool friends will be there.

Plus my man DURO (king of the 6 line) is hosting it.

So, if you live in the NY area check it out...it will be fun.:king:

CLICK HER FOR GRAFF SHOWS

I noticed this in someone's sig

Radical self expression is a crime punishable by no less than 2 (two) years in a state prison and a $10,000 dollar fine.

I guess some states might take graff very seriously.

But, in NYC graffitti is part of the city. It always has been and always will be. So, it is more accepted then in most other places. My buddy got caught doing a tag in the train station while waiting for a train with a pilot. Two undercover cops caught him...asked him for ID and gave him a $75 summons and took his ink and markers.

That's it.

I have never heard of anyone getting jail time or prison time for tagging up.

They don't have the bed space in our jails for such petty crimes. They use the bed space in our prisons and jails for rapists, murderers, armed robbers, major drug dealers, assault charges...But, not for tagging your name on a wall or a subway.

Even if you got caught with a dime bag of heroin, crack, weed or cocaine...they just give you a very small fine...no jail time.

So, the smaller the city, the more serious graffiti and petty crime is.

Originally posted by ODS-1

I mean, I've heard of someone that got like 4 years for graffiti, I'm sure alot of you know who I'm referring to. And I heard they tried to give someone 4 to 8 years for graffiti.

i know a cat who got sent to a work camp for quite a long time. here graff is not looked upon too kindly, but jail time is WAY rare. usually it ends up that you have to do community service (generally buffing graff, which in a way is cool cos they take you to spots you may not have known existed).

This is really sidetracking the ink thread but work camp, like a Russian Gulag or something?

-Sorry Rubbish for sidetracking your thread.

I don't think ole' rubbish is too worried if we post a couple of things other than ink, once in awhile...as long as it is graff related...it seems that we all know each other on this thread...that's why I am always posting on it...I don't like to spread my posts out too thin...Someone mentioned that anything anyone needs to know about ink, is already on this thread...So, there is not much more to add in regard to ink...So, it is OK to talk about other things at this point. I am sure everyone agrees.

:D

Originally posted by OMEN TWO

I don't think ole' rubbish is too worried if we post a couple of things other than ink, once in awhile...as long as it is graff related...it seems that we all know each other on this thread...that's why I am always posting on it...I don't like to spread my posts out too thin...Someone mentioned that anything anyone needs to know about ink, is already on this thread...So, there is not much more to add in regard to ink...So, it is OK to talk about other things at this point. I am sure everyone agrees.

:D

oh, i don't sweat the off topic discussion at all anymore. lately there has been more talk about felt erasers and mops, but yeah. this thread says everything you need to know about markers and mops somewhere in it. what i'd like to do, is edit the first post on the first page so that it contains a giant collection of 20 pages worth of knowledge, in one single post. maybe i'll do that on some rainy day when there's plenty of time to kill but.. not anytime soon.

I saw a writer that wrote BY with CSone the other day by a Burger King.. and it said TVS inside it. Is this guy an oldschooler or something?

Being the real TVS does not exist anymore...I could see toys or new school writers hitting up the crew.

Who is going to complain? A 40 year old ex writer member of TVS? LOL

But, they know and the real TVS writers know they were not Geed to hit it up.

However, I have put a few writers down in TVS, RTW, and ROC.

I have juice with these crews and can put anyone I want down. I used to be MIN ONE's right hand man during the mid to late 80's.

In fact RTW really stood for Rolling Thunder Writers...a tagging crew from the upper west side of Manhattan. Bill Rock gave the RTW crew to MIN and it was changed to Rock The World.

Also, TVS used to be ZEPHYER'S crew, it stood for The Vice Squad. Then Shock 125 told ZEPH that he was making it The Vamp Squad and told ZEPH he was not down...nor could he tag TVS anymore. He said MIN was down but not Zeph.

It was kind of a messed up situation. Because MIN and ZEPH did alot of writing together.

For some reason ZEPH was respected... but was not liked that much among the other hard-core writers.

So, there is a little "Real" history for you guys.

I will be seeing MIN at the show on the 23rd. I am taking my camera for old times sake.

Originally posted by rubbish heap

maybe i'll do that on some rainy day when there's plenty of time to kill but.. not anytime soon.

What a coincedince, it's fucking puring in Louisville!

Does marsh make white ink? The only white ink I have seen is Omega, I think. I heard that was shit. What white inks whould work well in a marker?

And no one has answered this so I'll ask again, can you refill pentel shorties? I have a dope one modified but I want to still have it when it runs out.

What a coincedince, it's fucking puring in Louisville!

Does marsh make white ink? The only white ink I have seen is Omega, I think. I heard that was shit. What white inks whould work well in a marker?

And no one has answered this so I'll ask again, can you refill pentel shorties? I have a dope one modified but I want to still have it when it runs out.

It is raining like hell here in New York City.

Anyway...yes Marsh makes white paint type ink...it is a little pricy. But, it is good stuff (below)

I like to use white ink with just a little violet garvey, or a little blue, or a little red, or a little green. It makes a phat color.

It has that creamy look and it is hard to buff. Also, they will get most paint type off...But, if you have a little garvey in it, you will still see some ghosting from dye type ink.

You can refill white shorties, all you have to do is take the nib out and use a steardy skinny stick type device to push the valve down and slowly put your ink in...use an eye dropper or just pour it in with the nozzle slowly and maybe put a few drops of purple dye type ink in it to jazz it up a little.

You don't even need to use white ink...use any ink you want to refill a shortie. It will mix the the remaining white ink and make a nice color.

MARSH PAINT TYPE INK...CLICK HERE

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/2h/urbandesignz.safeshopper.com/images/bx19acww.jpg'>

Marsh White Paint Marker Ink ^. Cop your tin off urban designz. Also Pentels are not refillable.

YOU BEAT ME TO THE PUNCH HOMES...LOL:lol: (edit)

But, you can refill pentels...just do what I said above.

I personally would not waste my time...because you can get those pentels for $2.99 at rite aid....or you can get them for free by taking the marker out of the package (incase it has an alarm sensor and walk right out the store with a few)

Just play it off. Get a pack of gum or a candy bar at the counter. That way they won't think you racked anything. Thats what I used to do and it always worked...I am not just talking about markers, I am talking about anything you want from the store.

By the way, another good way to refill a pentel or any other valve type marker is take the nib out and use a mini funnle. Minni funnles are small enough to fit in the hole where the nib goes and you hold the funnle down and it will press the valve down, making it very easy to refill...no fuss no mess.

I even use funnles on OTR type markers. That way I don't have to take it apart. I just take the nib out and use the funnle to press down on the valve and I fill it up that way. I feel taking apart an OTR is a little messier than simply using a funnle. Being the markers are clear, you know when they are full.

Oh, I didn't know you could do that. Thanks for letting me know, but either way I wouldn't do it because I rack like 15 of them at a time so I'm all set :D

Also- Urbandesignz.com carries paint marker ink from a brand called "City Wide". Its smaller and less expensive then the Marsh, but does anybody know if its shit or not?

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/2h/urbandesignz.safeshopper.com/images/be0p9mka.jpg'>

***City-Wide 250ml Type2 Paint Marker Ink is a permanent type ink.

City-Wide Type2 Paint Marker Ink is permanent, unfadeable, shiny and waterproof.

***Silver ink is a permanent shiny, fadeproof, metallic type opaque ink for used in mops, paintmarkers, or custom markers.

*Silver, Black, Red, White, Yellow inks are superpermanent inks! Specially made for outdoor use under extreme conditions!

*Black, Red, White, Yellow inks can be used to re-fill Uni-Paint PX-30, Pentel 100W, OTR Paintmarkers, Griffin mops or your custom marker of choice!

Thanks for the advice on the shorites, I actually like that marker with the new nib, you can palm it better than a unipaint.

Fuck Rain.

Speaking of shitty weather, how come my meanstreak doesn't work in the rain?

And it says on the meantstreak, clean up paint with turpentine, I guess now we know if it's hard to buff.

Oh, I didn't know you could do that. Thanks for letting me know, but either way I wouldn't do it because I rack like 15 of them at a time so I'm all set :D

Also- Urbandesignz.com carries paint marker ink from a brand called "City Wide". Its smaller and less expensive then the Marsh, but does anybody know if its shit or not?

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/2h/urbandesignz.safeshopper.com/images/be0p9mka.jpg'>

***City-Wide 250ml Type2 Paint Marker Ink is a permanent type ink.

City-Wide Type2 Paint Marker Ink is permanent, unfadeable, shiny and waterproof.

***Silver ink is a permanent shiny, fadeproof, metallic type opaque ink for used in mops, paintmarkers, or custom markers.

*Silver, Black, Red, White, Yellow inks are superpermanent inks! Specially made for outdoor use under extreme conditions!

*Black, Red, White, Yellow inks can be used to re-fill Uni-Paint PX-30, Pentel 100W, OTR Paintmarkers, Griffin mops or your custom marker of choice!

City wide sucks ass...you only get half a pint for $10.50.

You should just get a pint of black marsh (dye type). Because marsh is twice as good, you get twice as much and it is only 5 bucks more...urban designz has it.

Garvey makes a good black dye type ink, and you get a whole pint for about 15 bucks.

Talk about ghosting...forget about it...it does not get much better than Garvey.

I have red Garvey too...It is like a blood red and it really stains and flows like water in my mop with drips that go all the way down to the floor.

I also use blue garvey...the only garvey I don't have or ever used is the green. But, I am sure it is the best green you will ever find...in regard to dye type ink.

Paint type ink is so much easier to buff then dye type ink.

Especially if you use it on painted surfaces. Paint and paint type ink is too thick to seep in and stain...Dye ink is just what it is...dye!