Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

OK. Let's adress a few things in here right now.

First. I don not now, nor have I ever said, acted like, or believe that I am above critiques. ON the contrary, the people who regularly critique me are phenominal artists who don't spare my feelings one bit and will shred my shit to bits everytime. And, I do it right back. I've handed Seeking harsh critiques for years and all it's done is make him a better artist. Never once did he try to make a ton of excuses or feel the need to call me a snob, a net tough guy, or go cry about it. He took it. Turned it into fiel and became a better artist. He is one of the hardest working artists I know because of it.

Second. On the "net tough guy" thing. Fuck off. If I was all trying to be that way I would be doing the "net tough guy" thing and threatening to kick peoples asses and talking about all my fights and all that kind of shit. Let's get one thing straight right now. I am a hard ass. Especially about art. I'm not going to pull any punches because patting people on the back doesn't make you a better artist. So, if'n you guys can't handle the way I tell you things, maybe you need to go somewhere else where you can be coddled and told all the warm fuzzy ways to improve so your egos don't get all bum bruised up. Either way, I don't care. Some people will stay and listen and they will become better artists for it. Some will leave and stay mediocre. I don't really care.

Third. Coments like this:"Sure kid, I can take the comments. But in reality it seems like your specialty is thinking you are better than you are, and drawing trendy tattoo sparrow wings on everything."-are total horseshit. Trendy sparrow wings my ass. If you knew the first fucking thing about what that shit was all about you wouldn't ty to dissmiss it with suck a petty fucking comment diguised as some sort of card pull. Traditional tattoo influenced spit shading is so fucking far from the only thing I have done. See, my friend I too am a "self taught" artist. I've worked long and hard to get to this point where I am having consitant solo shows, curating shows with 40 plus artsts, getting paid from design firms to paint murals inside their offices, got flown to and paid for painting a murals inside of Nordstroms with Joker, shit I got flown to Boston for my last solo show. Plus I am a working tattoist, a self taught sign painter from studying books and picking the brains of the remaining old time sign painters, and I get paid as a freelance illustrator. None of these things means I am above shit, but it should help you understand where my opinions and experience come from. Context fool.

That is all for now.

lol.. koh...

like I said..

I actually took some of your advice

and Im looking at traditional japanesse artwork..

but you gotta expect

the way you come out to be taken the wrong way

doesn't seem like your helping people grow

more like your just trashing shit that gets posted...

your feedback would be more appreciated if you changed your approach

positve feedback, not just straight

trashing shit...

oh, I can say you really werent talking to me in your last post..

but take my feedback, and use it as you please..

same way I took yours..

I can see you got talent..

more respect that yourself taught like myself..

anyway im rambling

i'm posting a few pics in a second

;5526150']Havnt painted in 3 years here is the first canvas im working on. This is a work in progress almost done or maybe its done never can tell...... Send the Feedback i can take the criticism as i deserve it for taking such a long break.

Triptych

canvas1.jpg

Details

S7300060.jpg

S7300059-1.jpg

Individual Pieces

S7300062.jpg

S7300065.jpg

S7300068.jpg

What kind of paint did you use?

I know this is probably over and done with but I just read a bunch of the posts bitching about KOH's critiques. The problem with artists is that their ego's are out of control. I am even guilty of this sometimes when I paint something that I'm in love with.

If you want to be an artist in any capacity, whether it be graphic design, gallery shows, graffiti etc, be prepared for somebody to break your work down to the basics. Negative or positive, step outside of your ego and really look at your shit.

Now for some critiques:

Myke - Try something other than letters. I think you have some talent in you but your letter structure is still pretty immature. It looks like you're covering up a solid understanding of letter structure by trying to make it wild. You have some good color theory understanding, so apply that to something else aside from letters. The tree canvas that you posted is a good step in the right direction.

Spadeo - You really surprise me. You have some obvious talent but your attitude stepped in and tried to throw blows. You're an intelligent guy but you made yourself look a little foolish when you contradicted yourself on one huge point. You said that you know you aren't above critiques and that you take it in stride, yet on the pinup style sketch, when KOH said that the hand looked like sausages, you immediately re-confirmed that it was a sketch and ended with the ever so pissy "please".

I'm sure I'll get people coming back with requests to show my work, shut up or some other witty retort. Truthfully, I wont because I couldn't care less whether anybody in here respects me or my opinion, I'm giving it anyway.

A good exercise for anybody in here, myself, KOH and seeking included, is to sit down and really think about why you AREN'T good, not why you are.

One thing to keep in mind is, just because you sell it doesn't mean its good. I know some artists who are factories once they find something that people will buy.

Respond as you wish.

Yo Ciste, I understand what you're saying about my shit. Honestly, I have had writers block lately and I lost my studio spot . So I haven't done anything new. Alot of those paintings are a year old. But i'm not trying to make excuses. I am tired of painting graff canvases. I have been sketching new ideas - away from graffiti or at least different techniques. I used to take the easy road out with paintmarkers and paint splatter/overspray. I am working on taking it to the next level. The same ol style does get pretty old after awhile. We will see what happens. Peace.

I love your painted stuff (myke) and book work. But im leaning twoards the graffiti on the street, art on the canvas frame of mind...

i want to tackle a canvas, but im not sure what subject matter to attempt, it does seem like almos teverything has been done. i was thinking of an abstract painting, but im not sure yet, i was thinking of people, ive learned how to DRAW the human figure, ive never painted with real paints, and im not sure it would be the best place to start. i have done comics, but i have been leaning away from that whole comical look. i was thinking of painting my city, but its been done so many times by people who want to LOOK like they have something to say with there work. i have been looking for inspiration in movies. the second love of my life. but i STILL havent ofund anything. maybe realistic art isnt my thing, this is probably the first time ive had any sort of "writers block" or whatever youd call it.