Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
KOH....I totally respect what your saying and I can see what your saying with some of the art in here, but this is not just a thread for the experienced. Can you please post some of your work? I would really like to see what you're working with. No disrespect. Thanks.

You're right. It's not just for the experienced. But if you want to grow as artists( and since everyone in here seems to be doing art I would assume that is the goal), then you have to work harder. Friends patting you on the back thelling you your shit is dope isn't making anyone get any better. It just makes you think that you are good enough for now. Well I don't play that game. My friends bust my balls when my shit is sub par, and while I don't expect anyone to like my shit. I don't really like alot of shit that I would consider good. You have to take taste out of it. I hate alot of art. But I can recognize skill, well thought out ideas, clever schemes, great plans.

I will not gas anyones head if they need work and believe me, most of you need some serious work. So, if you get butt hurt easily at criticisms, then don't read mine because I am not going to sugar coat things for people and I'm not going to tell you "aw hey man.. good job" when shit sucks ass. I have posted pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeenty of things in this thread since it's inception. Shit...three pages ago I posted a bunch of shit. You don't need to like it, but you do need to recognize it as well thought out,and well executed.

Here, this was the last post I made. Lemme go see if I can't find some others. Like I said, it doesn't matter if you personally like it or not. Personal taste isn't the point. It's skill from years of practice. Its concepts from years of working out plans and ideas. Its execution from years of monotonous work.

Newer stuff from a current show I have hanging.

E. A. Poe.

h7R45_poe.jpg

The Black Swallows.

72MqA_blackswallows.jpg

For the love of Clara Bow.

6N1Q5_bowbanner.jpg

Gypsy Switchery.

6yg32_gypsyeye.jpg

So Damn Fancy.

O1KJ1_fancybird.jpg

Mon Hantise.

89833_obsess.jpg

77 frankin Street..

N831G_pennyfarthing.jpg

The Hidden Hand of Malignancy

Z6u36_thepull.jpg

The Heart of Ahab.

ZB0sW_ahabsheart.jpg

Old Sentimental.

25jQ9_sentimental.jpg

Tell-Tale.

ceO72_telltale.jpg

If you were around when Twist was first getting his shine on, it was more cutesy characters and screws than he does now. I believe it's very relevant to the situation in another situation because he has consistantly developed his work so as not to make it stagnant. Now some of you may not agree with that and might think he gets played here and there, but he is always working to get better and do newer shit.

That is the world of difference between doing some fucking retarded simple little dude, and really doing something.

And opinions are like assholes. Yes, everyone has them, however if i were you I'd listen to the opinions of people who have been working their respective asses off and developing, honing, and exibiting their art for more than ten years across the country.

i guess ive never seen his early characters, i suppose im just familiar with his detailed faces and screws

Ok here we go …. This is where my canvas work has evolved to recently. I need some sugar-free, true critiques, let the hate begin:D

Yes overspray and drips … however I thought them out and used them to accent the main focal points of each work, which was done in acrylic tube or house paint.

The first group is a series I did as Christmas gifts; thinking about the color pallet in the home of as well as the personality of each person receiving one.

ChristmasSeries2006.jpg

They are all 10”x10” and 1.5”deep

ChristmasSeries2006Detail.jpg

Two in detail.

MomsChristmas2006Canvas.jpg

MomsChristmas2006Canvas22.jpg

Then growing with this same line of thought I went bigger. The drips were all scrap cans that I punched open to get every drop out of. Only using acrylic house paint for the main focal design work. The triptych was done for my bedroom each panel is 30”x40”x1.5”

UntitledNumber1.jpg

The second was done with a bolder pallet, also sized 30”x40”x1.5”

UntitledNumber2.jpg

A detail shot to show the depth of the background.

UntitledNumber2Detail.jpg

Its current home, hanging over my desk at work.

WorkCanvas.jpg

Happen to have my dog with me just after she had surgery for a few days.

Honestly, I think the back ground detracts from the shapes. It looks like you are trying to achieve some sort of elegance in the individual shape, but the back ground actually contradicts that and doesn't let the shape take it's places as focal point because the background is so noisy. Try using a similar color palatte in the back ground but make it softer.

More atmospheric, less hard dots and splashes. maybe spray the canvasses with the colors from further away and do it over and over again so you get more of a soft misty blend, or just paint it one solid color.

The shapes will have to of course be worked a bit more because they will be standing on their own two feet, but you will have a beter overall piece that forces you to paint better.

If you develop your brush skills, and work on those forms a more, I'm sure you will be able to pull some serious coolness out of them.

Thanks KOH ... Thats what I was looking for.

I went overboard on those backgrounds because I had 4 milkcrates of empty cans that I wanted to try that with ... 98% krylon ...so I didnt have the option of using the same hue in diffrent values. With your mention of that I can see the benifit of having the texture and depth I went for on a softer more subtle level.

Thanks again.

No problem. Alot of people go with things like overspray and splatters and paint markers because its easier to use, they can make the painting pretty fast, and theres instant gratification from friends, family..people out of the know. Usually people get stuck in that rut because its easier to get back slapps from friends on 20 minute canvasses than to push past that, suck ass on a bunch of art because you havent mastered a new tool yet, and work very hard at something. However if you choose the hard road you will always be happier at the end. You gratification won't be as instant, but you will have a new found respect for the labor that went into paintings that you look at, your range of ideas will grow because you are able to pull off more difficult imagery than before. all in all, its a better road if you want to be an artist. NOt an art fag. I hate that term because stupid simpletons put that label on anyone doing any kind of art nowadays. In actuality I would put the art fag label on 97 percent of the content on Wooster Collectives site. Those kids aren't real artists for the most part. They are half steppers who don't want to put in real work. They'd rather walk a previously paved path with very little deviation and talk about how passe everything else in ther world is. Fuck that noise.

Due dilligence.

Stagnant Water, KOH is dead on. You have some interesting shapes there. The softening of the background would make those pieces work. In the shot of the six pieces together, the background on the middle piece in the bottom row works well.

KOH, good deed providing good advice and Im really digging your most recently posted stuff. I need to get off my ass and do some new stuff.

Yeah man, I'd love to see some new work, andhanks for the kind words. You kind of baffle me a bit. Your graffiti before the real softer 3d stuff was very elegantly lined. The book work I used to see form you was super line oriented. It would be awesome to see some more really comlicated, elegant line work from you again in your non graffiti work. I always end up liking whatever you do, but that shit used to kill me.

word to how civilised this thread has become

I'm with you KOH on the analysis - I have taken great pleasure from backslaps, but eventually if you spend enough time talking to people who actually know graffiti, you realise that it means nothing.

I have an excuse though - I'm an accountant. :(

my second canvous so i guess it sucks compared to alot of the shit on here...

Thing in this thread don't have to all be on the same level. Posting shit is good. It's encouraged, but I am going to tell you what's up with it. You're friends will tell you how good you are, but I will tell you that you need to improve. If you're not going to make excuses and just take the critique, then awesome.

The lettering is piss poor. There isn't any form or theory behind any of it. The background is just splats and shit. Looks like you just did the canvass for the sake of saying you did a canvass, but that you didnt have any real ideas or concepts. You can do letters on a canvass, but it should at least be good letters. You need to work on so many aspects of your art at this stage. Lettering is a huge must. You can't do graffiti inspired canvasses if you can't do graffiti. A color theory class or a basic painting class would do wonders for you too.