The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

Dunno b0b-o. I was supposed to jump back in that at sometime, but it seemed to fall apart.

Luckily my Polaroid pass around seems to be much more structured. I hope good things come out of it.

Also b0b, I got your e-mail about the "urban exploration" and I tried to hit you back, but my e-mail bounced. I am interested in throwing you some photos..

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_b0b
Originally posted by -Rage-

I'd like to get people like b0b, ese, ilovedrunk, etc.; and I know you guys have "connections."

Word?

Word. Count me in for the next round..

Guest imported_b0b

Dunno b0b-o. I was supposed to jump back in that at sometime, but it seemed to fall apart.

Luckily my Polaroid pass around seems to be much more structured. I hope good things come out of it.

Also b0b, I got your e-mail about the "urban exploration" and I tried to hit you back, but my e-mail bounced. I am interested in throwing you some photos..

Yeah the disposable passround was a bit slapdash I must admit.. I was just hoping it would pick up momentum, but really it needed the organisation you putting in now.

That siad I have a few more disposables sat here! If the polaroid passround works, they could be sent on the same route with similar instructions..

Oh thanks for trying to get back to me. Someone emailed a load of photos and filled my inobx up. Email me just a short text email and I'll reply with another email address for flicks. Thanks a lot.

Originally posted by BROWNer

oops. *i noticed it the other day..*

i usually don't come in here cuz

i don't have the patience for load time.

please excuse.

If everyone is ok with it, I'd be happy to purchase another pack of film once it gets to me to get a couple shots for myself (ie not going in the book) and enabling browner to hop on the end of the list, since he's just a stones throw from me? sound cool, or would this just be making things too complicated?

ese, a couple of problems appear.

. - There are no extra pages for another person

..- I'd lke to get the book back to me ASAP

Don't forget there will HOPEFULLY be a second round, and you and BROWNs could be side by side for round two.

ese, a couple of problems appear.

. - There are no extra pages for another person

..- I'd lke to get the book back to me ASAP

Don't forget there will HOPEFULLY be a second round, and you and BROWNs could be side by side for round two.

thats why I asked, I wasn't sure how customized the package was. it can wait till round two then.

hey Rage- are you willing to sell any one of those polaroids you have massive amounts of?

my email is mrupfe@aol.com so hollar

i just got my digi back and iv already discoved new uses....long shutter

http://photos.fotango.com/p/eba00437195f00000003.jpg'>

and a bunch of fucking around

http://photos.fotango.com/p/eba00437195f00000005.jpg'> http://photos.fotango.com/p/eba00437195f00000006.jpg'>

dosnt do macros too well, maybe im just not doing it right

http://photos.fotango.com/p/eba00437195f00000007.jpg'>

a few shots from an industrial park under construction. these were shot on shitty print film, but we went back the following day and I got some stuff on slides. should get that roll back friday, I'll have a ton to post then. but check these out for now.

http://members.shaw.ca/cjmmoc/construction/highway.jpg'>

http://members.shaw.ca/cjmmoc/construction/constructionsite.jpg'>

http://members.shaw.ca/cjmmoc/construction/corpse.jpg'>

http://members.shaw.ca/cjmmoc/construction/staringsky.jpg'>

so can any of ya'll suggest a good online tutorial?

i was gonna make a thread asking this, but figure i'll give this a shot first.

there are loads of websites out there, so i wanted to know if there was a definitive site that'll tell you which techniques to learn first and what not. i have an slr now, so i was wondering. yeah, i could get a book, but the internetwork is free. thankee

Originally posted by hyrax

Rage, you've got a 103? Does it work? I've got one too, wondering where the hell you found a battery for it!

After buying numerous Land camera's there's bound to be one with a battery that still works! And some do!

ese, amazing shots bro! Great texture.

fr8, the cat photo is killer.

A small selection from the vaults. All traditional, none of that digital stuff.

ice.jpg

Ice on the Lehigh

waterslide.jpg

Waterslide, Allentown

coachcar.jpg

Restored coach car

http://www.americancarwreck.com/full/bw/bigdaddy.jpg'>

Goodman St. Yard, Rochester

http://www.americancarwreck.com/full/bw/paint.jpg'>

Abandoned hlafway house, Rochester

http://www.americancarwreck.com/full/bw/cubicle.jpg'>

Cubicle, Bethlehem Steel offices

(This print puts its shitty scan to shame)

That's it....

yo bro.

Are you looking for a "develop in you hand" film camera or a "peel apart" film camera.

Note: Peel apart film is more expensive and hard to find in certain stores, but also more versatile than "instant" 600 film.

If you see a specific camera you really like, I can let you know if i'm willing to let it go. There are a handful that I don't want to lose, but I can make exceptions!

Originally posted by 1HalfOfMe

RAGE--- i actually dont know much about polaroids... cameras in particular. is there a big difference between polariods. im looking to get one and i guess i could just get anyone...what do you think?

Just to jump in on this for info's sake...

First off Polaroids are super fresh.... besides the instantaneous gratification of the "print" you can tool around with the image and come out with some nice one-of-a-kind artsy stuff.

Polaroid cameras are now pretty much of two schools: the one everone thinks of where the shutter clicks and the photo spits out (ot gets pulled out a la i-zone); and the peel-apart. The latter is my preferred and extends from the $1 land camera I got at a flea market all the way up to the ridiculous 20x24 monster that Kevin Mazur used at Sundance (see the May/June American Photo for some sick examples). Peel-aparts are dope also because you can do transfers (more on that later).

So these Polaroids differ from the former, spit-photo-out style simply because 1) you have to physically remove the photo from the camera, and 2) seperate the chemical developer from the emulsion by, that's right, peeling the two apart. Sure, you have a nice sheet of caustic chemicals to deal with, but the print quality skyrockets away from the shitola you got at wal-mart.

The most common cameras (not to mention the cheapest) you'll find are Polaroid Land Cameras... they range from swank ones that rock bellows and fold up down to plastic jobbers that have a shutter button and that's about it. Go to any thrift store, grage sale, flea market, grandma's basement and you're bound to find one for under $10. Usually the camera will say something like "use only type 88 film," listen to it because that shit isn't cheap and you will probably ruin a lot; and 99% of Polaroid films can be ordered online starting at $10-ish for 10 exposures. Again, you WILL fuck up so order at least two packs. Check out Polaroid for a goodly amount of info.

Also, you can get a Polaroid back for just about any camera worth its weight, and for some that flat out suck (i.e. Holga and Woca), that will allow you to shoot straight to peel-aparts for that always-cool look. This is beneficial twofold: instant proofs for one but also the ability to make transfer prints if you want.

Transfer prints are the bane and the milk of art school students everywhere. Get some Polaroid film, the new Modest Mouse, a case of PBR and it's a wet dream for these kids. But contrary my polemicizing, transfers are still hot. The Polaroid website has a primer but for serious types, check out this PDF for some schooling. You're basically forcing the image to be printed on a material other than the emulsion of the film. Wood, cloth, paper, rocks... it's all game. More, the possibilities to fuck around with the image via material/dying/texture/whatever jumps exponentially with transfers.

So that's a little on the old Polaroid. Ditch the pop-out Kmart shit and hook up a little land camera. Experimentation is key here and you can feel like a real artist (in addition to taking those nudie shots that they wouldn't develop at the drug store). There's a literal assload more to this and I don't claim to know too much. Still, it's pretty damn fun...

A) carwreck, well put my friend. I can see I'm not the only Polaroid head on 12oz! You're near Philly? I am too. If you have AIM hit me up: no1ragefan.

B) 1half, if you'd like a Land camera (for peel apart film) I don't mind. AIM as well: no1ragefan.

C) LaCosa, You have a normal OneStep camera, but an older version. You have a "Polaroid Sun 600 LMS". The LMS stands for Light Management System, it even says it under the flash. It takes 600 film, and can be adapted to fit Time-Zero / SX-70 film, for manipulations, which is more advanced.

So, go out, buy some simple 600 film and fuck around!

Shamless plug (and my full name dropping) ala my Polaroid Artist Page

C) LaCosa, You have a normal OneStep camera, but an older version. You have a "Polaroid Sun 600 LMS". The LMS stands for Light Management System, it even says it under the flash. It takes 600 film, and can be adapted to fit Time-Zero / SX-70 film, for manipulations, which is more advanced.

So, go out, buy some simple 600 film and fuck around!

cool, any tips for a newbie at polaroids? how to do some simple manipulation?