Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

picked up a bunch of stuff today. heres some of it.

Thats oyster grey in the middle and a full hunter on the right (which i cant stand hunter green) varivaldi knows. That color belongs in a cabin or something.

IMG00832-20110121-1532.jpg

^^^

Yeah I really don't wanna think about Hunter Green. I get mad whenever I see it. Why, I don't know. I just do.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been finding a lot of OSH cans lately, since we got stuff from northern CA. It seems pretty decent to me, quality-wise, and I was blown away by the huge can of Black. The Delphinium Blue is a dope color. I look forward to finding some of that Pale Green and others.

Osh and growco are two of the west coast paints I have heard some of the best reviews about, very rarely seen on east coast. I have found one can of Fuller on the east coast "brown cow" but all the rest I have came from the west. Does anyone have any experience with the fuller picture cans???? Wonder the quality of the paint, fuller was a quality paint company....

ah he used to talk about that dupli,yeo its dupli rust stop and its not made for graffiti,but thick and sick paint inside with hight pressure.

RUSTSTOP-SDM-400ml_22.jpg

edit: much better then any graffiti paint!!! matt finish.

but price for one can here is 15$/can! too expensive

how old is this product? how come its not listed on the duplicolr website with the other products.

i want to steal some,

I've been finding a lot of OSH cans lately, since we got stuff from northern CA. It seems pretty decent to me, quality-wise, and I was blown away by the huge can of Black. The Delphinium Blue is a dope color. I look forward to finding some of that Pale Green and others.

Here is the old style Osh "Eager Beaver" label Delphinium Blue...

P1000770.jpg

can someone post flicks of the tall boy OSH's, being on the east coast we rarely if ever see that shit.

All my cans are in storage but I had this group shot from when I was selling stuff a few years ago...

P1000771.jpg

Osh and growco are two of the west coast paints I have heard some of the best reviews about, very rarely seen on east coast.

Osh paint was made and I think still is made by Aerovoe... Even after Osh stopped carrying certain colors like the Purple they used to have you could special order it and they would send Aerovoe cans. It's pretty decent paint...

Rumor is Growco was made by Krylon because they had a lot of the same "basic" colors. The safety green and purple were dope as fuck and sprayed and covered just like Krylon so it is very possible it was made by Krylon but packaged in the Growco can... The only place I ever saw Growco available for sale was at flea markets, I never saw a can in a store...

does anybody know what time era the rusto cans , with the drippy "stopsrust" and the little scotish dude are from.

It says the year right on the can...

I hope some west coasters have a few OSH cans tucked away.

One of the things I like so much about old paint is that there were so many little regional brands that might have been terrific paint, and well loved by the local writers, but don't have that big name appeal like Krylon and Rusto. Shit, I'm originally from Connecticut, and even I'd heard that OSH was a great, low priced paint you could only find in California.

Juca, what I usually do with old cans that I plan on using in the future is gently remove the stock nozzle and replacing it with my favorite cap, then never take it off. Particularly with Krylon. I'll pop a NY thin on there, and if i don't finish the can in one session, spray it upside down the clear it, wipe it off, and try my best to keep it from clogging.

You have a great chance to live in USA and have the digging passion...In Europe it's getting harder and harder to get old cans. When i see the number of old cans(not sold by collectors but by particulars that don't have a clue about spray paint collections), signs, charts, and paint stuff on Ebay.com, compared to what i can find on europeans ebays i think "damn..."

But USA are a big country with a huge past for spray paint, unlike Europe. When i see the size of your racks...god damn.

But i'm a keep doing my thing, not later than tomorrow! Hope i'll find stuff.

Juca, what I usually do with old cans that I plan on using in the future is gently remove the stock nozzle and replacing it with my favorite cap, then never take it off. Particularly with Krylon. I'll pop a NY thin on there, and if i don't finish the can in one session, spray it upside down the clear it, wipe it off, and try my best to keep it from clogging.

hard to find 400 favorite caps ^^ 3 failed valves from 410-411 cans,stock caps on them now,and removed all used cans around 60...

You have a great chance to live in USA and have the digging passion...In Europe it's getting harder and harder to get old cans. When i see the number of old cans(not sold by collectors but by particulars that don't have a clue about spray paint collections), signs, charts, and paint stuff on Ebay.com, compared to what i can find on europeans ebays i think "damn..."

But USA are a big country with a huge past for spray paint, unlike Europe. When i see the size of your racks...god damn.

But i'm a keep doing my thing, not later than tomorrow! Hope i'll find stuff.

^Yeah, but Top Gun man, your collection is insane! Probably one of the best examples in Europe. Crazy props to you for finding all the stuff in stores and hunting shit down. Those vintage Euro cans are solid gems.

I got to find someone to trade some old school UK cans with... Smoothrite, Hycote, Autochem Chrome, Carplan, Cycle Style & Plastikote Home Style. Was pretty stoked recently to get an email from one of my boys with a Maribu Buntlak chart. Actually, I think it used to be mine before I moved and gave up all my old paint...

I've just made my "feuille de route" for tomorrow...Eastern-Belgium: Namur, Liège, pretty old and industrial zones, hope i'll find more gems...

i tought that i will go to hunt some paint tomorrow too,but car is fucked up works on 3 cylinder so cant go + dont have enought money for bus...i left few cans in one store.

btw top how much money you spend per one good trip? (trip outside of the france and when you find many cans)

30 or 40 euros of gas, and 1euro/can max, except for reeeeeeeaaaal hard-to-find gems that the seller don't lower price, or that i can't rack.

10am to 19pm work, non-stop, i smell if the "big" cities gonna be good places, if not i visit every fuckin little village on my way back.

Here's a question for youz guyz. What's the story with Mr. Spray.? Is he a small/mid-market brand.? Was it regional in terms of distribution.? Is it still on shelves as new product.? If anyone has any pics of other labels or colors post them if you can. Also, if anyone has any Mr. Spray cans they are willing to trade/sell or give away for the cost of shipping let me know, I'm diggin' them. Included is a Mr. Spray "Shamrock Green" I scooped at a closeout spot last week. Other's I got 4 years ago from a garage. Thanks.

DSC03842.jpg

DSC05360.jpg

30 or 40 euros of gas, and 1euro/can max, except for reeeeeeeaaaal hard-to-find gems that the seller don't lower price, or that i can't rack.

10am to 19pm work, non-stop, i smell if the "big" cities gonna be good places, if not i visit every fuckin little village on my way back.

excellent technique, I admire the approach to the hunt. I hope you manage to find some sources that are not stores, perhaps used cans from mechanics or carpenters. I imagine there is a lot in private houses and businesses in Europe.

Archived