Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A couple of those Plasticotes I have not seen yet. The copper gold and bronze suprisingly, The one that looks like acorsns (THough I have seen acorn brown) the piano, the ax, and the mint green. Someone has the glade green but forget who. Any help on those????

Not acorns, that's a Bittersweet..... always a hot color. Alpine Blue is nice also, anything with spiky boots, yunno.

this is my favorite thread on here, OG5 you doing well out there man.

Thanks man, im just trying to get a decent collection for myself, and find cans for people who need them.

Heres what i got as of this morning, got some painters touch and flatballs also but the krylon had no lids. I just thought the rusto looked good. The can with no lid is a beige/ almond color.

all the lids have different style labels.

IMG00932-20110203-1906.jpg

yep that can was in The Art Of Getting Over, one of the first places to showcase (but not explain) old cans.

samsung- this is a complicated question. the oldest cans are the canister/"soup can" models of spray paint, dated roughly to the late 40s. color demand and monetary value both fluctuate greatly, vary with the buyer, and are not easily explained.

people routinely come in here every few months and although we don't want to make it exclusive and aloof, they don't know what it is we do and just tactlessly ask us, "what do i have to find to make a lot of money easy?!" you're not doing that, right?

5415363455_48f40d648e.jpg

The first "Style" of spray paint. There is other cans out there that no one has seen, but this is the oldest and one of the rarest. Go find a case of these and you will be sure to make a good buck on them....

****Not mine, but part of a private collection.

looks like misc 83 style cans...QUOTE]

Yea. Even though these arent really sought after, ive been told that alot of people dont realize its compared to Krylons barcode and paper label paint, which was pretty good.

Im not a Rustoleum guy really, maybe because on the west coast Krylon and OSH were our main source of paint, Especially in the early 90s. I still think Can Control and alot of other graffiti mags helped put krylon on the map out my way.

But i do however get alot of people who hit me up for scottys and or 83s all the time. Alot of people like Rustoleum regardless of the years i guess.

Im still a rookie, who knows maybe ill have a collection of rustoleum too down the line.

Cross coast trades happening. Thanks to OG5BALL for this pack. Stoked....

[/size]

Its all good man, I know you like those square krylons. That Medium Blue is a dope color. Not only because its borden, and has a barcode label on the top, but because in all my years of using krylon, i have never seen a medium blue.. Let that one sit on your shelf.

Thanks guys. The british black is dope. that satin is a borden from columbus ohio.

Theres 4 things that make this can different.

1) The "Satin Finish" on the side.

2) The 5 balls are smaller than usual.

3) It has a Red identification label on the can, instead of the normal black

4) It shows a "selling slogan" underneath the krylon stamp. Talking about what it does.

This can has no cracks in the lid, and is more than half full.

IMG00948-20110204-1135.jpg

IMG00950-20110204-1136.jpg

BRITISH BLACK!! For GUNS nonetheless where gun ownership in that country is lower than punk ass kids jeans these days. I don't think the cops even cary guns on the street.

Shouldn't it be a 'pound' can too...hahah, their currency weighs pounds. That's some heavy money. I'm dumb, goodbye.

78-83 rustso are equal to paper label/lithograph notch and non notch top krylons. Also similar to age of Ing. label caps which came after them. Bar codes were more late 80's cans, similar in age to the rusto's with comfort tips.

Those are great cans, with a real classic look. I still grab them if I find them full or close to full. The 78's are my favorite the stops rust logo still contains drips, the scotti is on the back, and they still used old color names like fire hydrant red instead of regal red. Good paint either way.

for a minute in the late Borden era, Borden clearcoat came like that, with the adjusted graphics. i think there's gloss and satin clear in that style. Krylon seemed to keep certain can styles for less-popular products the same for a long time, or make them unusual and stand out. also, I love that DuPont can art, and EasyWay is also a classic (did Plasti-kote make that?).. and yes British Black is pretty nuts.... at least there isn't a friggin golliwog on it (that's for jib and nick).

Krylon's Rust Magic line was a flop, that's one reason you never see that stuff. Krylon shifted from listing "Rust Magic" as an ingredient, then made that line circa 1985, then it seemed to only last 3 or 4 years (have to check my charts). It was sorta from the same time that Rust-oleum introduced Woodsaver. I suppose that no one believed Rust-oleum would make a wood paint any more than people expected Krylon to make an expressly anti-rust paint. Both were discontinued quickly, though Woodsaver is much easier to find.

Valdi, you're buggin! :)

Yep, their normal police don't carry guns and it's a pretty big deal to get caught with a handgun or a rifle if you're not hunting. Don't open up that issue, or else the Brits are gonna ram our handgun death rate in this country down our throats!

78-83 rustso are equal to paper label/lithograph notch and non notch top krylons. Also similar to age of Ing. label caps which came after them. Bar codes were more late 80's cans, similar in age to the rusto's with comfort tips.

Those are great cans, with a real classic look. I still grab them if I find them full or close to full. The 78's are my favorite the stops rust logo still contains drips, the scotti is on the back, and they still used old color names like fire hydrant red instead of regal red. Good paint either way.

cool. i have a few of those 78s your talking about, they are a cool looking can

for a minute in the late Borden era, Borden clearcoat came like that, with the adjusted graphics. i think there's gloss and satin clear in that style. Krylon seemed to keep certain can styles for less-popular products the same for a long time, or make them unusual and stand out. also, I love that DuPont can art, and EasyWay is also a classic (did Plasti-kote make that?).. and yes British Black is pretty nuts.... at least there isn't a friggin golliwog on it (that's for jib and nick).

Krylon's Rust Magic line was a flop, that's one reason you never see that stuff. Krylon shifted from listing "Rust Magic" as an ingredient, then made that line circa 1985, then it seemed to only last 3 or 4 years (have to check my charts). It was sorta from the same time that Rust-oleum introduced Woodsaver. I suppose that no one believed Rust-oleum would make a wood paint any more than people expected Krylon to make an expressly anti-rust paint. Both were discontinued quickly, though Woodsaver is much easier to find.

Valdi, you're buggin! :)

Yep, their normal police don't carry guns and it's a pretty big deal to get caught with a handgun or a rifle if you're not hunting. Don't open up that issue, or else the Brits are gonna ram our handgun death rate in this country down our throats!

thats good to know. i like the info. I got 2 of those rust magics on my way home one night fom work. they are both full and unused. The things we find at the most random times... Thats what makes this cool.

juke i need to send you another can to use for that display. i got some school bus yellows and baby blue bordens you can put in there. you dont want to use primer for that display. i might have a speedy dry i can send. just ship me some stickers from croatia for my blackbook

Archived