your parents

ubejinxed

so i spent a quality weekend with moms and i was thinking about how much our parents influence us and how much power they have to shape their kids lives, so a couple questions

1. what's your relationship like with your folks - has it changed

2. are they divorced

3. what are their primary occupations

4. did you have a comfortable childhood or were you living in the hood

i just think it's interesting to see how someone's parents can influence them. please share anything else

i'll answer my own questions in a sec, after my stupid client meeting.

ok to answer

1. i used to hate both my parents and fought with them constantly about everything. they said white i said black etc... i was a bit of a hell child since they weren't particularly permissive. i could never relate to them in any way, and rarely saw my dad since he was working all the time. it's gotten better i understand them more, talk to my moms and am more open, but i still can't have a real conversation with my dad, nothing's ever good enough for him.

2. they got divorced last year, and have been separated for a while

3. my dad is a doctor, the 2nd class that had mexicans in the SFU medical program, full scholarships from high school on. ultra overachiever, like indescribable... all sorts of achievements... starting in a migrant worker family to a full ride doctor. he can to anything.

my mom's super smart too, magna cum laude n all that, she was a homemaker most of my childhood, doing cottage industry stuff, very creative, great mom but she recently got her master's and is working on her Phd. she did used to make my breakfast lunch and dinner in full effect every day.. that was the shit!!!

4. if you can probably guess since my dad was a doctor i had a comfortable life growing up. not ultra rich but not poor by any means.

moms, dad and sister

http://img55.photobucket.com/albums/v167/flameonya/fam.jpg'>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

My parents are still together now and i think we have a good relationship.

Me and my dad used to go karting together and we both like engines. He's the manager for the Engineers at this firm.

My mum is funny she is a Rep for Revlon we are quite close.

I ve understood now that if we fall out or they punish me they are only trying to help.

Why not post their pictures too, if you've got them (i'm almost certainly going to be the only one that does this):

Dad & Sister:

http://img19.photobucket.com/albums/v58/GnomeToys/Christmas/jimnaur.jpg'>

Mom:

http://img19.photobucket.com/albums/v58/GnomeToys/Christmas/momlady.jpg'>

http://img19.photobucket.com/albums/v58/GnomeToys/seizure.gif'>

1. Fine. It was rocky for awhile when I first came to college and became a terrible poly-drug abuser, but they're cool now.

2. In the process of divorce.

3. Mother - Artist

Father - Union Laborer

4. We were poor most of the time when I was growing up but I could barely tell. We lived in Bumfuck, Indiana, pop 700. The only thing I dislike about my childhood was school.

-- My folks and I have always been very honest with each other. I guess it's a liberal upbringing but I never felt worried to tell them about what was goign on in my life. Some people feel that parents will never understand them, and some parents dont, but mine totally do and I'm lucky for it. I think it's just a matter of recognizing your parents as people instead of just as parents. They sacrificed a lot to raise us, and we need to understand that.

2. are they divorced

--Yes but it was totally civil. I never saw them fight, ever. I guess it was more just a 'falling out of love' and then having to relocate based on desires. My pops had to live in the big city and my mom didnt want to. I split my time with them but they always seemed very cool to each other. They still talk once in a while today. married for 12 years, seperated for 6, divorced for 15.

-- My mom is retired. She just kind of travels around doing eco work. Please keep all hippy comments to yourself. My mom doesnt smoke pot or burn insence. She's a botanist and a horticulturist... not a stinkin' hippy. Dad was a big film guy for some time, now he's looking for something new. Neither of them ever really did the standard blue/white collar type jobs.

-- I was very comfortable in the hood. It's possible to have a safe and secure home in a bad area or to have a hell house in plesantville. It's all about the family at that point. In fact, I used to be jealous of friends who had big houses in the burbs and huge TVs untill I noticed that the parents hardly ever talked to each other, the mom was getting super fat and the Dad was opting to spend later nights at work. Some lessons can be learned at an early age.

excuse any typos.

1. what's your relationship like with your folks

I'm closer to my mom than my dad, I'm a mommas boy.

- has it changed - No not really I can tell my mom everything and anything. She let me get a tattoo at the age of 16, she even paid for half of it.

2. are they divorced - Nope, been married since the summer of '69

- My dad is a Postal Worker, and my Mom doesn't work

4. did you have a comfortable childhood or were you living in the hood - It was alright, I was born and raised in "The Dot" (I know that many people here won't know about "The Dot", but ubejinxed will know), coudln't leave my street, lot's of crazy shit going down when younger, lots of police chases, shootings and all the great stuff.

i got a good relationship with my dad he is my best friend. my mom too but not like with my dad.

divorced.

my dad bailed when i was a little kidin order to keep me and my brother from starving, we had our ups and downs but besides the 1 year i refused to talk to him, we kept in contact, he was gone for about 6 years and came back into my life when i was a sophmore in high school, but then i got kicked out of high school and sent to a reform institution for 2 years. my mom raised be but she was an addict for about 3 years while my dad was gone. now both my parents live near me and its all good.

my dad works night shifts at some goverment thing. my mom recccently finished school and is now a landscape designer.

origionaly we lived in the hood. then they got mad lucky to find a house.

we grew up in a half black and half spanish neighborhood being the few white people, it wasn't the ghetto, but it wasn't the burbs either, it was kinda ruff at times, most of my freinds from childhood including my self ended up going to jail a lot, cops didn't seem to like our area too much(it was acroos the street from a gang infested high school) but we came to love it.

I’m cool with my parents. We don’t talk much, but what’s there to talk about? The extent of my dad and I’s conversation will be the score of the game, and that the Blue Jays’ pitching sucks. I’ve always liked the fact that I never had to eat at the dinner table with them, because I know it would result in stupid questions and stupid answers.

When I was very young, my mom made sure that I could read better than someone ten years older than me. No doubt, at the age of six, I was sitting in the grade six English classes. They pushed me really hard in math, too. After school, my mom always had tons of math and English for me to do. Weekends, too.

I recall instances where I would get some of these extra, advanced math questions wrong, and my mom would press a metal spatula (that was sitting on a hot stove element) up against my skin to burn me. Whatever, though – the scars all healed up. I would get whipped a lot, too – but that is the only effective to keep a kid who talks back in check. They just made sure they pushed me hard. Not to sound like some prissy white kid, but it did kinda piss me off when I would show them my 96% mark for a test, and I got slapped up for not getting a hundred percent. Can’t blame them, though – they’re from India, where things work differently.

I sometimes find myself blaming them for my fucked up teenage years. I went from a straight ‘A’ student in the gifted program to a drop out that dropped acid on weeknights. Going to jail for graff was pretty bad, too. I shouldn’t blame them, though, that’s just stupid.

We get along alright now, though. I’m mostly pissed off about my dad taking my brother when he was a kid to Leafs and Jays games, and fishing, but never me. Haha, one time, that Phil Collins song “You’re No Son of Mine” was on the radio, and my dad turned it up really loud.

Key3, you should hit your mom up for some lights and other accessories, then go into ‘business’ with her. ;)

*edit – I talk too much.

1. what's your relationship like with your folks - has it changed – yes, it’s changed

2. are they divorced – no, never will be

3. what are their primary occupations – mom is some sort of office worker at a big corporation, and my dad is a welder

4. did you have a comfortable childhood or were you living in the hood – I’m told I never cried

looking back...

I was totally blessed by my parents.

They wouldnt spoil me, and I was earing my own

money by age 13 just because I knew the value of a dollar.

But oh man... there were some perks!

I'm not even going to get into it because the haters will line up.

Originally posted by Weapon X

Key3, you should hit your mom up for some lights and other accessories, then go into ‘business’ with her. ;)

I tried that once.

She had a punch of grow lights in the basement

and she went on a month wacation so I was on my own.

I think I was like 17 or 18 so I figured why not grow some herbs?

Nothing sprouted because I'm not much of a green thumb,

and she changed all the soil immediately. No mention of my seeds.

She could outsmart me most days.

2. are they divorced

1. I get along great with my mom. She's a successful artist and smokes with me and "marianne". She gives me all the support and advice I could ask for. She supports graffiti and likes it when i bring over flicks to show her.

My dad is more conservative and buisnesslike which basically says it all for our encounters. Dad still wishes I had played sports in high school and that i had made a career out of the military. He hates graffiti and thinks marijuanna is for "communist liberals".

2. Yes for very obvious reasons (compare their profiles above) They divorced when i was sixteen. No biggie i survived.

3. My mom is a professional artist making around 15-20 grand on her paintings. The yuppies in my hometown and surrounding areas love her stuff. She rents out our old house to the owner of a well known skate company.

My dad is a retired firefighter and enjoys a fat pension

4. i had a very comfortable childhood but not to the point where i was shocked and appalled by the outside world once I left home. My mom had a few art studios over time that were in the east bay so i had plenty of exposure to graffiti and black people at an early age.

Originally posted by LENS

My mom had a few art studios over time that were in the east bay so i had plenty of exposure to graffiti and black people at an early age.

BECAUSE IF YOU DIDN’T HAVE THAT EXPOSURE TO BLACK PEOPLE EARLY ON, WHO KNOWS WHAT MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED??? THEY MIGHT HAVE ROBBED AND RAPED YOU!

its great now. it has always been on the better side of things but things have definatley changed over time. as i have gotten older and moved across the country we've seem to have gotten a lot closer.

2. are they divorced

nope, happily married after 40 years

pops-engineer

moms-social worker

i had a comfortable childhood, nothing lavish though.

Guest sneak

2. are they divorced

1)ive always been the "odd" child out of me and 2 brothers, and that hasnt changed at all. Im very independant when it comes to parents, and i think mainly because of this i dont have the relationship i dont. its very rocky with my mum at times (you may remember a few of my moaning threads :o ). plus, what makes it difficult is that im completely opposite to my mum in all respects. im ok, usually, with my dad. i thinks he's losing it a bit in his mid life times, but we get along ok.

2) still together.

3) Dad = senior editor for a bunch of magazines based around the advertising / marketing business. i think i get my intrest in media from him.

Mum = works part time for the CAB (Citizens advice beauro) giving advice on all sorts of shit to do with benefits / councils / problems etc. sht is a trained marriage counsellor, had taught english in a university in Bordeaux and also worked for Lufthansa Airways.

4) im still technically in my childhood, and yeh it has been comfortable. that doesnt mean i dont know the value of money or anything like that. ive worked for extra cash since i stole my older brothers paper round at age 10. we live in the outer boroughs of london, not the inner city, but not the suburbs either.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

http://www.newcamp.net/hector/images/familia/mamiwilson.jpg'>

My parents reflecting on the awesomeness of dildos

1. what's your relationship like with your folks - has it changed?

Yes. We used to have a really strong, healthy family relationship, until alcohol reared its ugly head, and then shit got REALLY awesome. Used to be permission-givers, discipline-dispensers, and tons-of-love-givers, now they're drinking partners, best buddies... and still tons-of-love-givers. Even though I almost blew up dad's balls onnce.

2. are they divorced?

Nope. Still together after 28 years. I wouldn't say they're madly in love anymore, but they definitely are nowhere near even the slightest hint of separating... they still enjoy each other very much.

3. what are their primary occupations?

Dad is a dentist in a seriously dilapidated town, mom is his secretary/assistant. More on that later.

4. did you have a comfortable childhood or were you living in the hood?

Comfortable childhood. I live in one of the first five houses built in what has become an affluent suburb in recent years. It belonged to my grandparents, who then passed it on to their youngest daughter, my mom (they just finished paying for it in 2001), where we grew up in a nice environment. Dad had a partner and ran a nice office with staff, mom brought us up. We went to nice private schools, carried an ordinary middle-class lifestyle.

A bad decision by dad in 1991 nearly brought it all down, as his partner left, taking all of the staff and half the clientelle to establish his own practice, leaving us with only the local townsfolk in a very poor area. We nearly went bankrupt, were on the verge of having to sell the house and leave our school, and grandma came to the rescue and helped us out, allowing us to finish high school and my parents to pay off debt (at this time me and my brother were faced with the pressure of being forced to snag good financial aid packages if we wanted to go to college). Plus, my little brother had just been born... I grew up comfortably, but this poor kid had to go through a lot of shit. Mom joined dad at the office as his receptionist/sole assistant, and the office has improved a little bit ever since, but nowhere near what it once was... it's still run by them two and a part-time assistant, and income has been cut in half. The whole decade of the 90's was a very tough time for my parents' relationship, especially mom, who has had to deal with the consequences of dad's errors. They braved through it though, which is why I'm convinced they won't ever separate.

^^^

Coolest parents ever?

Hmmmm...maybe!

Mammero you look like you have parents that love life and enjoy their time with their spawn. Ha ha the sign on the front of your pops is hilarious.

if my gf and i ever come back to puerto rico we will for sure come by and visit.

can't he pivot his glass eye to at least achieve the cross eye effect? if he wears an eyepatch paint on a crossed eye!! make it happen! There's a "can" in 'can't'!

or you could just have a beer with him and make the face next to him.....i guess. ::sighs::

2. are they divorced

1. MOM : me and my mom have always been cool. She spent the most time with me when i was little and is super goofy and silly....like me.

She doesn't show emotion very easily though. Although not conservative, expects me to be more of a lady than i am. She definitely does not understand why i do graffiti and is pretty overprotective. I love her to death.

DAD: was cool when i was little, i suppose. He was usually out drinking all the time, a major alcoholic. I know he means well, and I know he loves me to pieces but he has a serious addiction to the brew. He quit for about a year recently and it defintely strengthened our relationship, although he went back to it. I get the travelling gene and rebellious side from him (he intrigued me with stories of indonesia and bermuda since i was little).

AUNTIE: honorary mention goes to my 2nd mom (my mom's sister), who is the dopest lady i know. She basically raised me when my mom and pops were at work. I feel like i can tell this woman anything at all with no judgement. She's been in a wheelchair for 20 yrs and stays home most of the time, yet manages to always put on a happy and cheery face for me (although i know she deals with depression from not being able to walk). She is super silly and fun to be around.

2. not divorced, but i always thought they should be due to dad's drinking and the emotional abuse he'd put my mom thru. They seem to get along better nowadays, tho.

3. I, CW, am a spawn of the City of Chicago. my mom works for the Chicago Tribune and my dad works for The Chicago Water Dept. (drives a truck around all day).

4. My childhood didn't feel poor b/c i didn't know what poor was. Plus, i was kinda like the only child so i'd get tons o presents and the like. I found out more recently that my parents were definitely going thru rought times when i was little. My neighborhood was pretty rough, basically a Hispanic ghetto with plenty of gangs but i was oblivious.

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by LENS

can't he pivot his glass eye to at least achieve the cross eye effect? if he wears an eyepatch paint on a crossed eye!! make it happen! There's a "can" in 'can't'!

or you could just have a beer with him and make the face next to him.....i guess. ::sighs::

Well, he doesn't have a glass eye either... it's just a ruined eye that's been closed for so long (accident when he was 8 years old), tissue has built up between the eyeball and the eyelid, it won't open more than a quarter.

Actually, this summer during my birthday party, I drew an eyeball on his closed eyelid when he was passed out... when he got up and got stoned it was really fucking eerie, it looked 100% real.

1 - pretty good i guess... not w/ out its probs (pops demands control, and i don't like being told what to do)

2 - gotten close when funds were tight, but no

3 - pops= bum, mom = some legal crud

4 - my parents must suck at managing money, because we've lived large and lived shitty; at one point we lived in an alleyway and pop stood inline for government cheese, but at other times we've had half million dollar homes in the burbs. i always prefered the shittier housing because having a real nice crib doesn't mean much to a kid w/ no toys.

<span style='color:pink'>

my mother and i are very close. for the longest time, i really took advantage of the fact of how good she is to me. for the last 13 years

of her life and mine, she has been on periteniel dialysis. About 4 years ago, i was in a very serious relationship, that lasted nearly 3 years. During those 3 years, i hardly spent time with my mom. After that relaionship was over, i started to spend a lot more time with my mom and began to realize how much she did for me. (the break-up was a blessing in disguise) now we have a weekend tradition to go eat lunch at our favorite restaurant together every saturday and sunday. she is the sole reason i finished high school, she pushes me, wheater i want to be pushed or not. i know that this will sound corny, but she is my best friend.

my dad, has always been occupied with his girlfriends, the one he is with now, is closer in age to me then to him. the only thing i could ever depend on my dad for, was money.

2. are they divorced

yes.

like i stated earlier, she is sick, but to get out of the house, she is a hostess for a local restaurant. she goes part time and they work around her schedule. She got sick, soon after her graduation from NMSU.

my dad, is a very well paid chef.

i had a very comforable childhood. my mother and grandmther worked there ass's off, so i could have the nicer things in life. my dad played a part in this as well. they never let me wear "cheap" clothes and shoes. i had to have the very best. Jordan's on my feet, and polo ralph lauren on my back. and they wonder why i am the way i am.

</span>

Originally posted by ubejinxed

2. are they divorced

1- It's great now, when i was 15-19ish or so, i was an asshole to them, especially my mom sometimes, just because i thought my friends were my real family, and i thought i knew it all. big mistake. but ive grown out of that idiotic phase and now appreciate and love my family very much, my moms has always meant the world to me, and she always will, and my dads the best father i could ask for, i highly respect a lot of things about him.

2- nope, still marrid after about 26 years or more.

3- stock broker and insurance company.

4- best childhood ever, to good sometimes...

1. my mom and i get along minus the minor tiffs... shes really old fashion but i tell her pretty much everything cuz i feel guilty if i dont..

my father.. i hate him,... but it wasnt always this way.. as a little child i had no idea to how, selfish and spoiled and a drunkard he really was,, as my brain developed i realised that my pop is really bad and that i habe no respect for him

2. my parents are married.. unfortunately

3. my fahter - retired.. but was a consultant.. found clients for big companies in vancouver

my mom - homemaker for 13 years.. but was an accountant for safeway head office

4. comfortable childhood.. pretty much ignorant to what was going aorund.. i dont live in the hood,. but i have only old people living in my neighbourhood so no best friends living anywhere near here

i wasnt too popular in elementry school but shme

Originally posted by El Mamerro

Actually, this summer during my birthday party, I drew an eyeball on his closed eyelid when he was passed out... when he got up and got stoned it was really fucking eerie, it looked 100% real.

ha, i was going to suggest this but ya beat me to the punch.

My parents still help me out and make me realize I'm really lucky to have had them growing up. My mom gives me help free of charge but my dad is a cheap ass and keeps a running tab of the money i owe him.

Right now i owe him....lesseeeeee....$425 and my sister owes him something around $2300

Archived