PIPES:SMOKING: a new trend started by yours truly?

casekonly

yeah, so, about four weeks ago, i decided to start smoking a pipe.

i've smoked out of a pipe before (we're talking tobacco) but it wasn't

a long term type thing, just wanted to try it out.

now, i'm a full fledged pipe smoking guy. i've completely quit smoking

cigarettes, and now i'm right up there with Bob Dobbs.

my first pipe is one of the less expensive brands, but i'm enjoying it.

my grandfather gave me a meerschaum a long time ago, i've smoked out of it a few times and really dug the feel/flavor, so i think a meerschaum will be my first expensive pipe that i buy. i'll keep the grandfathers gift as a keepsake.

i really don't see this as a new trend, such as cigar smoking became a while back, but i think it'd be dope to see hip hop tobacco shops popping up. i could buy my caps and a bag of scottish light blend and be on my way.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

some tips for pipe smokers:

Do not break in a pipe by holding out the window of a moving vehicle. This builds up way to much heat and can cause the bowl to "burn out". Do not use honey or anything else to coat the inside of the bowl of a new pipe. Honey will clog the pores in the wood. If anything, use your finger to coat the inside of the bowl with water before smoking a pipe for the first time.

It is best to clean the inside of the stem and shank of your pipe (do not scrape the bowl) every time you finish smoking it. Try to smoke the pipe all the way down. If you don't, then dump the remaining tobacco out, so the bowl will have a chance to air out. Don't hold the pipe by the stem to knock it out (this is how a lot of pipes are broken). It's better to use a pipe tool to dig out the unused tobacco. After smoking a pipe let it cool for a few minutes before removing the stem to clean it. Never remove the stem from a warm pipe, the tendon of the stem could break or worse yet you could crack the shank of the pipe. Use lots of pipe cleaners. If your using a tapered cleaner, use the thick end to run down into the bowl and the thin end to run through the stem. Do not try to pull the cleaner all the way through the stem, if a cleaner breaks off inside the stem, it's very difficult to get out. After cleaning your pipe, store it in an upright position to allow air to flow through it and help dissipate excessive moisture. Do not leave a cleaner in your stem, this will block the air flow through the pipe.

Rotating your pipes will help them to air out and stay fresh. If you smoke the pipe too much in one day, the moisture does not have time to evaporate which can lead to a soggy, sour-tasting smoke.

A certain amount of cake is good. About a sixteenth of an inch is best. Once it builds up more than that, the pipe will need to be reamed. Use a reaming tool to cut the cake back to an even layer. Do not use a knife, as there is a good chance of cutting into the wood, also, it's hard to get the cake even with a knife. Uneven cake will cause the bowl to heat unevenly which could lead to stress cracks in the wood.

Do not smoke radically different types of tobacco through the same pipe. A rich smoky Latakia blend may not taste right in a pipe that has been used for a black cherry Cavendish. However, different light vanilla Cavendish blends in the same pipe would probably not confuse the flavors too much.

selecting a pipe:Pipes come in a variety of materials, shapes, sizes, and textures. Most of today's pipes are either briar or meerschaum although cherry, olive, corncobs, clay, porcelain are also available.

Briar is from a burl that forms in the root system of the White Heath tree, indigenous to the mountains in the Mediterranean region. Briar is used because of it's ability to withstand heat. Since it is not excessively oily, and because is is quite permeable, the pipe absorbs moisture and heat as it is smoked.

The quality of a briar pipe depends on many factors including age of the burl, curing of the wood (air-dried or kiln-dried), craftsmanship and luck. Most of today's finest briar pipes are made in Italy, England, Denmark, and France.

Meerschaum is a sedimentary stone formed from seashells and corals. The best quality meerschaum is mined in a small area in Turkey. Meerschaum is a very permeable material, and darkens with use. It goes through shades of pink, yellow, tan, brown, and eventually black. Pipes made from good quality meerschaum have cool, airy smoking characteristics. When first mined, it is still soft and can easily be carved into busts, figures, and intricate patterns.

Size and shape are a matter of personal taste for the most part. Generally, thicker walls around the bowl of a pipe will provide a cooler smoke. The pipe smoker who leaves a pipe in their mouth most of the time tends to prefer a bent shape for comfort reasons. However, if you do leave a pipe in your mouth, excess moisture will tend to collect in the stem. The pipe smoker who holds a pipe in his hand usually prefers a straight stem, which has less tendency to collect moisture. A pipe should be comfortable to hold and should not feel awkward in the mouth.

Briar pipes are available in a variety of finishes. Often times it is sanded smooth or sandblasted to reveal the grain pattern, or hand-rusticated (which exposes more surface area and is said to help dissipate heat). Some of the most beautiful Italian high-grade pipes incorporate a combination of finishing techniques.

We have pipes ranging from the inexpensive to some of the most renown British and Italian handmade briars. Most inexpensive pipes are made from younger wood that has been kiln-dried and machine turned. These pipes are adequate for the beginner, but due to variations in the amount of moisture left in the wood after oven-curing, they are not always consistent in quality. Popular brands use a higher grade of briar and are much more consistent. These pipes tend to "break-in" a little quicker and provide a better smoke. The finest briar pipes are made from much older wood that has formed a denser grain (more capable of dissipating heat and absorbing moisture). They are slowly air-cured to achieve consistency and better smoking qualities, then handcrafted into an object that is not only beautiful to look at, but a pleasure to smoke!

One cannot say one brand or style of pipe is the absolute best. Because of the differences in the smoking character of various tobaccos and the different smoking habits of the individual: what works for one person, doesn't necessarily work for the next.

Pick a pipe that suits your taste, whether it be an unusual shape of a Danish freehand, a classic shape in a British briar, the flair of an Italian handmade or an intricately carved meerschaum. The important thing is to pick a pipe that suits your personality, pocketbook and will smoke well for you.

smoke,chew, pack lips, who gives two fucks. something that has to do with tabacoo should even be called trendy needless try getting it to be. i mean shit its everwhere already. pipes are for old farts. stick to sticks and let the original pipe smokers not become over taken with teen faggots smoking stupid flavored tabacco out of stupid loooking pipes.

http://vegassmokes.com/pipeaccessories/pipecare/corkknocker.JPG'>

^ hahaha.. it's called a 'cork knocker'

put it in the ashtray to knock out ashes.

It will save a lot of wear and tear on the pipes.

My dad had about 10 really nice pipes and

I used to light some up once in a white.

I think they were Sasini pipes... some were 5 dots too!

(which means the really good shit)

Originally posted by dr.testical

smoke,chew, pack lips, who gives two fucks. something that has to do with tabacoo should even be called trendy needless try getting it to be. i mean shit its everwhere already. pipes are for old farts. stick to sticks and let the original pipe smokers not become over taken with teen faggots smoking stupid flavored tabacco out of stupid loooking pipes.

this is an herb statement.

yeah becuase the shit dont fit the picture. your gonna tell me people arent gonna laugh at some 20 year old college geek smoking a pipe down some busy street. thats all i can picture. you kids rolling up to a layup and smoking some wodden pipe with flavored tabacoo you and your buds talk about how great the taste is and all that corny shit. smokers are jokers. haha fuck you

Originally posted by dr.testical

you kids rolling up to a layup and smoking some wodden pipe

this would be excellent. casek, do you wear a tam 'o shanter hat while smoking? also, does it seem to make you wiser? it would be logical if both of things were right. maybe i'll try it. also, do you think it would work very well to use a tobacco pipe in a way that would cause you to put the flame to the pipe longer than normal? also, do tobacco pipes normally have a screen, or just a hole in the bowl?

Guest WebsterUno

some frinds bought me a hooka

for x-mas once. i still have yet

to break it in...and yes, i will

be using it for tobaccy!

:dazed:

no hat while smoking. i'm 27. wiser? maybe. i wouldn't use a wooden pipe to smoke what you're talking about, glass is better. screen? eh, only if you're a chump. flame longer? only if you're a chump...braze the kind, it will be good to you.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Pipe tobacco is pretty awesome stuff, although I'm not a big fan of flavored smokes.

I'll stick to my cigars.

wow! there is a hip hop tobacco shop....ha! cool.

pipes are the real. chicks look at me with kinda funny

glares, but i've said it before, i intimidate women. so, i'm

kinda used to it.

i've got a new blend, "scottish". it's all light and nice.

alot better than those juicy flavored vanilla tobacco's

that i was all into for the first few weeks. i still dig 'em,

but it was time for a change.

i'll seek out some dope pipes and post pics later on

don't mistake, casek has the stanky greeeeen, green. but...there are circumstances not under casek's control....i kina thought they all were, but i've learned some are not....anyway, external forces are askng me not to chief atm.

Archived