1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Officer who beat boy gets $1.6m

Discussion in 'News' started by dojafx, Jan 21, 2005.

1. dojafx

dojafx 12oz Member

Officer who beat boy gets $1.6m

Discussion started by dojafx - Jan 21, 2005

[​IMG]
    A US policeman who was filmed punching a black youth and slamming him against a car has been awarded $1.6m (£890,000) in a race discrimination case.

Jeremy Morse, who was sacked by the Los Angeles police over the incident, said he had been treated more harshly than a black officer who was also there.

A second white officer was awarded $811,000 (£450,000) damages.

Inglewood Police Chief Ronald Banks, who had disciplined the officers, called the awards "ridiculous".

Mr Morse was caught on camera in July 2002 as he arrested 16-year-old Donovan Jackson at a petrol station in Inglewood.

He claimed Mr Jackson had grabbed his testicles - though that was not visible on the videotape.

The tape was repeatedly played on US TV stations and caused an uproar.

Mr Morse was sacked and his partner, Bijan Darvish, who is also white, was suspended for 10 days for filing a police report that failed to mention his partner's conduct.

Mr Morse was twice tried for assault but the case was dismissed after juries failed to reach a verdict. Mr Darvish was acquitted of filing a false report.

'Nationwide impact'

The men filed "reverse discrimination" lawsuits, claiming a third officer, Willie Crook, who also allegedly hit Mr Jackson with a torch and failed to report the incident, received only four days' suspension because he is black.

"This is not the first time police officers have been trapped in race situations where they suffered unfairly," said Mr Morse's lawyer, Gregory Smith.

"This will have an impact in police departments across the country."

Police Chief Banks, who is black, denied race was a factor.

"I based my decision on their actions and what I thought their responsibility was. It was based purely on the facts," he said after hearing news of the award.

"I was shocked at not only the verdict but the size of the awards. It was somewhat ridiculous."

Shouldnt this asshole be in jail instead of being a millionare?
    What the fuck is wrong with california?

dojafx - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  2. trackstand

trackstand 12oz Senior Member

trackstand - Replied Jan 21, 2005

Oh well... Go figure.

trackstand - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  3. fermentor666

fermentor666 12oz Veteran Member

fermentor666 - Replied Jan 21, 2005

No, he shouldn't be in jail. He's a cop, sometimes cops have to hit people. It's not like he beat the kid senseless. I can't remember the facts of this story since it's not really important enough to stick out in my mind after 3 years, but he has a point about racism and the black cop getting a slap on the wrist for doing essentially the same thing as him.

He does not deserve to be a millionaire, I agree, but based on what I just read here I do think he at least deserves his job.

fermentor666 - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  4. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson New Jack

Turd Ferguson - Replied Jan 21, 2005

isnt this the one where the guy that videotaped the whole thing was in fear of his life beause the police were after him once they found out they were taped

Turd Ferguson - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  5. dojafx

dojafx 12oz Member

dojafx - Replied Jan 21, 2005

good of you to defend him!
    i agree, sometimes those crazy negros get out of hand and can even cause problems while handcuffed and need to be subdued!

dojafx - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  6. GnomeToys

GnomeToys 12oz Elite Member

GnomeToys - Replied Jan 21, 2005

Those silly negroes. Good thing our officers are fair and just!

GnomeToys - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  7. Æ°

Æ° 12oz Senior Member

Æ° - Replied Jan 21, 2005

When I first saw that fucking video I felt like putting a live hand grenade in my mouth and finding out how many cops I could kill in 8 seconds.

Æ° - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  8. GnomeToys

GnomeToys 12oz Elite Member

GnomeToys - Replied Jan 21, 2005

I feel like doing that all the time, but one has to be patient. They seem to be shooting themselves in the legs and groins enough with their own loaded guns that we don't need to do as much.

GnomeToys - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  9. Æ°

Æ° 12oz Senior Member

Æ° - Replied Jan 21, 2005

That was a while ago though, I'm not as angry as I used to be. But it would be great to see an officer shoot himself in the groin EVERY morning on the way to work. You know, just for laughs.

Æ° - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  10. fermentor666

fermentor666 12oz Veteran Member

fermentor666 - Replied Jan 21, 2005

Like I said, I don't remember the facts of the case. I think I remember something about how the kid wasn't doing anything wrong. I'm not for excessive force, but the officer who got fired does have a point about the black officer who got a four day suspension for the same thing, assuming he also hit the kid.

fermentor666 - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  11. angelofdeath

angelofdeath 12oz Elite Member

angelofdeath - Replied Jan 22, 2005

some how this all reminds me of ol mumia

angelofdeath - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  12. Herbivore

Herbivore 12oz Senior Member

Herbivore - Replied Jan 24, 2005

that's the thing though... they have video of the one officer hitting the suspect. the black officer 'allegedly' struck the suspect as well, but there was no hard evidence to support those allegations. therefore, the officer who was filmed hitting the suspect should definitely get more severe a punishment than the one who wasn't.

Herbivore - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  13. robJ

robJ 12oz Member

robJ - Replied Jan 24, 2005

reverse racism is a motherfucker, I'm glad that cop got paid !! fuck the adl

robJ - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  14. !@#$%

!@#$% Moderator Crew

!@#$% - Replied Jan 24, 2005

i've experiencded plenty of racism being a white person in a predominantly black city.
    but fuck that.
    the police are fucking assholes and i don't think anyone deserves to get that kind of cash in some bullshit civil suit anyway.

!@#$% - Rank: Moderator Crew - Messages:
  15. Ckit

Ckit 12oz Member

Ckit - Replied Jan 25, 2005

last year my good friend got the shit kicked out of him, (fractured arm and two broken ribs), simply because he didnt stop walking when a policeman asked him to stop.
    then when he tried to take the officer to court the officer and two others said that my friend had tried attacking them. it didnt matter that me and about 4 other people were testifying in my friends defense; they won and my friend was put in jail. he was white though. eh. maybe not white enough?

Ckit - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages: