Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

......it's not hiphop anymore.

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Chicken George, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Chicken George

Chicken George Member

"Hiphop is based on FUNK. That means the bulk of most anticon, etc. style tracks are not hiphop.
    I'm all for bending the rules but once you start breaking the basic constants that define the music, it's not hiphop anymore."

i read that on this other message board and i think its a crap statement. thats like saying...if your dont sound like the average hiphop sound then your not hiphop. ill say that some anticon shit is out there but still its hiphop..be it werido hiphop or not..i think its hiphop. what is hiphop musically...beats and rhymes to the simplest form...i guess you can apply that to all music but i think you know what i mean.anticon has beats and rhymes. so saying you have to be funky to be hiphop..well
    basically thats limiting hiphop.which i think is wack. im sure no one will reply to this with anything other then....fuck another hiphop thread boring..but oh well

also i dont mean for this to be an anticon thread..that was just the example given so thats what i used. my arguement in this was against the basic point they tried to put across, not about how hiphop anticon is.

also jagged edge "lets get married" remix is the song of the decade. bump it in yo jeep with your women and sing along with the song to her. fuck cheating, everyone get married.

[This message has been edited by Chicken George (edited 09-18-2001).]

2. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

I remember from back in the day (88ish) some hip hop joints built around Kraftwerk beats, and while that's pretty funky, it's not really very 'funk'y

------------------
    2 Can Sam

3. Organ Donor

Organ Donor Elite Member

who cares what other people call your music if you like it. call atmosphere country and ill still listen to it.

4. TOY

TOY New Jack

yeah broken down its just beats and rhymes. anything other than that just makes it more interesting to listen to. who wants to listen to the same drum beats with nothing else added to it?

5. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

anyone who says jel and alias' beats arent 'hip hop' enough is stupid. but since rap is stupid, it all makes sense.

6. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Guest

Honestly,
    Hip Hop has always been about innovation,
    be it from funk, jazz, soul, electro, experimental... whatever.

point#1 - hip hop is not pop
    point#2 - hip hop is experimental
    therefore =
    puffy isn't hip hop
    LL isn't anymore
    Anticon can be.

How very scientific!

7. CATS

CATS Senior Member

Its all in the eye of the beerholder.

------------------
    One day I hope they make an action figure out of me.

8. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

if anticon was black, they would be the hottest new shit on the block. rap critics all across the country would be applauding their lyrics and drive to experiment, likening them to coltrain or hendrix. but since their white, they're called wack.
    and people wonder why we dont care.

and no, hip hop has never really been about experimentation. people love J5. not cause their good, but cause they sound familiar. mos def sounds like a rip off of every rapper i loved in the 80's.

bring back public enemy or im done with this shit.

9. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Guest

they did.
    Remember 'Who got Game'?
    leave that chapter closed.

10. brown twinkie

brown twinkie Veteran Member

if you want to know history, read rap attack by david toop
    and get schooled. people who made big dents applied
    avant garde ideas.......blahg....

11. George Dubyah Bush

George Dubyah Bush Senior Member

Fuck rap. Fuck it all.

what happened to good music in general?

[This message has been edited by George Dubyah Bush (edited 09-18-2001).]

12. Ask Afrika Bambataa, the proclaimed Godfather of Hip Hop, and author of the extremely unfunky "Planet Rock", if he agrees with that statement. Beer,

El Mamerro

13. George Dubyah Bush

George Dubyah Bush Senior Member

14. Mr.LonelyHeart

Mr.LonelyHeart Member

why is this shit even being debated....??
    it's simple:
    "variety is the spice of life."
    "different strokes...."
    "it takes all kinds..."
    etcetera, etc..

personally I like to have my recommended daily allowance of funk, but I'm open...

------------------
    http://www.angelfire.com/tx/superrerun/images/miniwarriorsgroup1.gif'>
    who's the mac?...

15. boogie hands

boogie hands 12oz Legend

poopy-poop-pooooooooopoop-poop-poop-poop-poop-poooooppypoo-*plop*-poop-poooooo

just thought id give you guys an idea of how intellegent this topic is.....

hey, ive got a non played topic over on third rail....its about ja dissing the saber river peice....GO CHECK IT OUT!!!!

give it a fucking rest....

------------------
    brick, brick ,brick...thats how i be up against your girlfriends ass...