......it's not hiphop anymore.

Chicken George

"Hiphop is based on FUNK. That means the bulk of most anticon, etc. style tracks are not hiphop.

I'm all for bending the rules but once you start breaking the basic constants that define the music, it's not hiphop anymore."

i read that on this other message board and i think its a crap statement. thats like saying...if your dont sound like the average hiphop sound then your not hiphop. ill say that some anticon shit is out there but still its hiphop..be it werido hiphop or not..i think its hiphop. what is hiphop musically...beats and rhymes to the simplest form...i guess you can apply that to all music but i think you know what i mean.anticon has beats and rhymes. so saying you have to be funky to be hiphop..well

basically thats limiting hiphop.which i think is wack. im sure no one will reply to this with anything other then....fuck another hiphop thread boring..but oh well

also i dont mean for this to be an anticon thread..that was just the example given so thats what i used. my arguement in this was against the basic point they tried to put across, not about how hiphop anticon is.

also jagged edge "lets get married" remix is the song of the decade. bump it in yo jeep with your women and sing along with the song to her. fuck cheating, everyone get married.

[This message has been edited by Chicken George (edited 09-18-2001).]

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest --zeSto--
Originally posted by Q-Tip:

Rap is not pop, If you call it that then stop.

Honestly,

Hip Hop has always been about innovation,

be it from funk, jazz, soul, electro, experimental... whatever.

point#1 - hip hop is not pop

point#2 - hip hop is experimental

therefore =

puffy isn't hip hop

LL isn't anymore

Anticon can be.

How very scientific!

if anticon was black, they would be the hottest new shit on the block. rap critics all across the country would be applauding their lyrics and drive to experiment, likening them to coltrain or hendrix. but since their white, they're called wack.

and people wonder why we dont care.

and no, hip hop has never really been about experimentation. people love J5. not cause their good, but cause they sound familiar. mos def sounds like a rip off of every rapper i loved in the 80's.

bring back public enemy or im done with this shit.

Guest --zeSto--
Originally posted by seeking innocence:

bring back public enemy or im done with this shit.

they did.

Remember 'Who got Game'?

leave that chapter closed.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Ask Afrika Bambataa, the proclaimed Godfather of Hip Hop, and author of the extremely unfunky "Planet Rock", if he agrees with that statement. Beer,

El Mamerro

why is this shit even being debated....??

it's simple:

"variety is the spice of life."

"different strokes...."

"it takes all kinds..."

etcetera, etc..

personally I like to have my recommended daily allowance of funk, but I'm open...

------------------

http://www.angelfire.com/tx/superrerun/images/miniwarriorsgroup1.gif'>

who's the mac?...

poopy-poop-pooooooooopoop-poop-poop-poop-poop-poooooppypoo-*plop*-poop-poooooo

just thought id give you guys an idea of how intellegent this topic is.....

hey, ive got a non played topic over on third rail....its about ja dissing the saber river peice....GO CHECK IT OUT!!!!

give it a fucking rest....

------------------

brick, brick ,brick...thats how i be up against your girlfriends ass...

Originally posted by boogie hands:

poopy-poop-pooooooooopoop-poop-poop-poop-poop-poooooppypoo-*plop*-poop-poooooo

just thought id give you guys an idea of how intellegent this topic is.....

hey, ive got a non played topic over on third rail....its about ja dissing the saber river peice....GO CHECK IT OUT!!!!

give it a fucking rest....

hahahahaha, you are my new best friend!

noreaga is tha gansterest rapper but some of this new dirtysouth sh!t is hottttt .mia 4 eva n mo.hiphop is wat eva u want it to b now days some people think limpbisket is n i think they gott isuse but w/e thats theme n there not really wrong by saying that but someone or i mean alot of someones dont think of linpbisket as real hiphop

Guest --zeSto--
Originally posted by WEb=ijP:

...there not really wrong by saying that but someone or i mean alot of someones dont think of linpbisket as real hiphop

what the fuck are you saying?

noreaga is tha gansterest rapper but some of this new dirtysouth sh!t is hottttt .mia 4 eva n mo.hiphop is wat eva u want it to b now days some people think limpbisket is n i think they gott isuse but w/e thats theme n there not really wrong by saying that but someone or i mean alot of someones dont think of linpbisket as real hiphop

WUHAHAHAHA, that is fuckin comedy. excellent use of altenative urban spelling, with a dash of internet chat room shenanigins. i give it a TEN!

• 2 years later...

Who cares?

This is the reason why people get misconceptions about music in the first place. Somebody hears one crappy P Diddy song that they hear is Hip Hop and then from then on they say that they don't like hip hop. Do you think Anticon cares one way or anyother whether someone considers their music hip hop? Labeling music just makes it easier for another person to discredit it. If people just made music and stopped worrying about whether they were 'punk' or 'hip hop' enough, then maybe there could be some real new shit happening. Mad props to anybody trying to expand on what has been done before.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that shit had me rollin':lol:

......it's not hiphop anymore.

DUH!!

rap is hip-hops alter ego,what hip-hop would be if it got big-headed/conceites and went out bying hummers and 20" rims,and gold fronts.

hip-hop is the grandfather always talkin about todays youth and rap is the grandson out their doing whatever he wants and changing things and mixing things up ,wich doesnt always come out right.

Archived