1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Girl, 12, Settles Piracy Suit for $2,000

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by mental invalid, Sep 10, 2003.

1. mental invalid

mental invalid Dirty Dozen Crew

Girl, 12, Settles Piracy Suit for $2,000

Discussion started by mental invalid - Sep 10, 2003

WASHINGTON - A 12-year-old girl in New York who was among the first to be sued by the record industry for sharing music over the Internet is off the hook after her mother agreed Tuesday to pay $2,000 to settle the lawsuit, apologizing and admitting that her daughter's actions violated U.S. copyright laws.

The hurried settlement involving Brianna LaHara, an honors student, was the first announced one day after the Recording Industry Association of America (news - web sites) filed 261 such lawsuits across the country. Lawyers for the RIAA said Brianna's mother, Sylvia Torres, contacted them early Tuesday to negotiate.

"We understand now that file-sharing the music was illegal," Torres said in a statement distributed by the recording industry. "You can be sure Brianna won't be doing it anymore."

Brianna added: "I am sorry for what I have done. I love music and don't want to hurt the artists I love."

The case against Brianna was a potential minefield for the music industry from a public relations standpoint. The family lives in a city housing project on New York's Upper West Side, and they said they mistakenly believed they were entitled to download music over the Internet because they had paid $29.99 for software that gives them access to online file-sharing services.

Even in the hours before the settlement was announced, Brianna was emerging as an example of what critics said was overzealous enforcement by the powerful music industry.

The top lawyer for Verizon Communications Inc. charged earlier Tuesday during a Senate hearing that music lawyers had resorted to a "campaign against 12-year-old girls" rather than trying to help consumers turn to legal sources for songs online. Verizon's Internet subsidiary is engaged in a protracted legal fight against the RIAA over copyright subpoenas sent Verizon customers.

Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., also alluded to Brianna's case.

"Are you headed to junior high schools to round up the usual suspects?" Durbin asked RIAA President Cary Sherman during a Senate Judiciary hearing.

Durbin said he appreciated the piracy threat to the recording industry, but added, "I think you have a tough public relations campaign to go after the offenders without appearing heavy-handed in the process."

Sherman responded that most people don't shoplift because they fear they'll be arrested.

"We're trying to let people know they may get caught, therefore they should not engage in this behavior," Sherman said. "Yes, there are going to be some kids caught in this, but you'd be surprised at how many adults are engaged in this activity."

mental invalid - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  2. mental invalid

mental invalid - Replied Sep 10, 2003

"You can be sure Brianna won't be doing it anymore."

ahahahaha, jesus man strong arming a fucking 12 year old....

3. crave

crave 12oz Veteran Member

crave - Replied Sep 10, 2003

that's pretty fucking sad. i'm sure the family had 2 grand just laying around. what the fuck..

crave - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  4. Swiffer Jet

Swiffer Jet 12oz Elite Member

Swiffer Jet - Replied Sep 10, 2003

Rapid Eye - Stealing Beauty (Ronald van Gelderen Remix)

pfff

Swiffer Jet - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  5. mental invalid

mental invalid - Replied Sep 11, 2003

bumpski for gestapo tactics

6. metallix

metallix 12oz Elite Member

metallix - Replied Sep 11, 2003

advanced weaponry:

http://www.cia.gov/nic/graphics/df31_icbm.gif'>

[img]http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/lg-riaa-sticker.gif'>

boycott riaa products. do not buy cd's. ever.

metallix - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  7. fr8lover

fr8lover 12oz Elite Member

fr8lover - Replied Sep 11, 2003

absolutely rediculous.

they turned her into yet another kid disenfranchised about the government and the US in general.

if i had seen this in a sitcom 10 years ago i wouldnt have believed someone could think it up.

fr8lover - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  8. Overtime

Overtime Dirty Dozen Crew

Overtime - Replied Sep 11, 2003

you know for fuckin sure they knew it was illegal, i mean, with all the news and shit about it, they knew it was illegal, none of this "we didnt know" bullshit, but they shoulda gotten other people first. But hey, kazaa use has dropped 25% since they started this kinda shit

Overtime - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  9. Santa Claus

Santa Claus 12oz Senior Member

Santa Claus - Replied Sep 11, 2003

for a company that claims to be for the artists, they sure are a money grubbing bunch of assholes

americas new low, i'd say

i've done zero research on this and i was wondering if anyone knows where this money is going? that $2000 they stole back from that family.....is it going towards the musicians themselves? or the even more frightening record labels?

Santa Claus - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  10. Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle 12oz Veteran Member

Dr. Dazzle - Replied Sep 11, 2003

Shit like this reminds me why I'm glad I live in Canada......

Dr. Dazzle - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  11. sneak

sneak Guest

sneak - Replied Sep 11, 2003

i read about this in the news.
    i laughed so hard i actually fell of my chair. what the fuck is sueing a 12year old going to accomplish?

12. BIGBLUE

BIGBLUE 12oz Senior Member

BIGBLUE - Replied Sep 11, 2003

this wouldn't happen if I was the m*ther f*ckin ..gUVNA!

[​IMG]

BIGBLUE - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  13. ModelCitizen

ModelCitizen Guest

ModelCitizen - Replied Sep 11, 2003

I think the goal is to scare parents into monitoring what their kids are doing when they go online. Obviously no 12-year-old is going to be responsible for 2 grand, so the parents assume the burden of dealing with it, and the media coverage helps at setting an example.

14. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

Dick Quickwood - Replied Sep 11, 2003

what a pussy

ha ha

Dick Quickwood - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  15. thetrooper

thetrooper 12oz Member

thetrooper - Replied Sep 11, 2003

Agreed.

thetrooper - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages: