1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

12oz DJs

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by mr.yuck, Feb 20, 2005.

1. mr.yuck

mr.yuck 12oz Veteran Member

12oz DJs

Discussion started by mr.yuck - Feb 20, 2005

Hello. This is some basic questions regarding getting started and what not, for those that are 12 inch prophets here. That was pretty clever huh?

anyway. Im tired of all of these played out wanker mixes that people put out and want to make my own shit. Its something i have been wanting to get started on and do for a while but have never been able to make time for until now.

So just some basic questions. How did you go about getting started? Was it mostly trial and error or did you have some one to school you? Does any one buy vinyl online and what are some pretty reliable places to buy from.

Any kind of tips or anything such as quality equipment and what ever you have to offer me would be helpful. Thanks.

mr.yuck - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  2. Fondles

Fondles 12oz Veteran Member

Fondles - Replied Feb 20, 2005

Fondles - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  3. sect one

sect one 12oz Elite Member

sect one - Replied Feb 20, 2005

I have been out of the scene for a whillle but I'm sure not too much has changed....I'm assuming you are going to mix using turntables so... I learned through the internet but of course person to person instruction would be much easier...I'm sure there is some video you can buy but it mostly is trial and error...with any insturment it takes practice practice practice....soon you develop an "ear" for it and mixing becomes easierrrrr..what type of music are you looking to mix? Buying vinyl online isn't a great idea unless you are SURE of what you're looking for.

ok listen closely....save up for Technics 1200's ...no matter what anyone tells you these are THE best turntables...they have been the best selling for 20+ years for a reason....most people go for looks or think one turntable does not differ from another when starting but I guarantee you these will last you your whole career.....if you do make the mistake of buying other turntables you'll later realize, and purchase 1200's ....so save yourself and make the good investment of purchasing them....

the mixer you choose to buy depends on the type of music you plan on mixing

shure m447's nuffffff said

it gets a lot more expensive than you think so be ready to drop a dime and good luck

sect one - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  4. mr.yuck

mr.yuck 12oz Veteran Member

mr.yuck - Replied Feb 20, 2005

YEah im gonna be doing rap music only. or at least for right now. I have a good idea that this is gonna cost me and that is one of the reasons that this has taken me a while to even think about.

Thanks for the links im about to check them out.

mr.yuck - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  5. fermentor666

fermentor666 12oz Veteran Member

fermentor666 - Replied Feb 20, 2005

I tried my hand at DnB for a couple of years and it's expensive indeed. Each single costs about 10 bucks and after selling off half my CD collection to finance this I realized that DnB is pretty fucking boring to listen to in bulk.

Basically, practice, Technics (about 300 a table, they are expensive also), good Shure needles because the grip they have is awesome, and a good ear for beatmatching and keeping a flow. And teach yourself how to scratch, especially if you're going to be playing rap. Nothing is more boring than listening to a rap DJ who doesn't scratch. Buy a couple of battle records and go nuts on em.

And when you go record shopping, don't do it on the internet. Go to an independent store where they have tables set up for you to listen to the records before you buy them. Try to bob your head so it looks like you know what you're doing.

fermentor666 - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  6. fermentor666

fermentor666 12oz Veteran Member

fermentor666 - Replied Feb 20, 2005

Also, if you really are going to teach yourself how to scratch, make sure you buy a mixer that has a loose fader without any resistance at all.

If you're just starting and you're not really sure or on a budget then you can get DJ kits for like 100 bucks that come with a corny ass mixer and some ghetto tables. They suck for any sort of beat juggling or scratching but if you're just playing tracks in sequence then it's a cheap way to get a feel for it, and you can practice while you save up for the big boys. Just don't think about playing any gigs with em.

fermentor666 - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  7. lovestick

lovestick 12oz Junior Member

lovestick - Replied Feb 20, 2005

Buy 20-25 records you absolutely love first and go from there. Having the music you want to play first is more important than gear.

lovestick - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  8. Zack Morris

Zack Morris 12oz Veteran Member

Zack Morris - Replied Feb 20, 2005

when I first started I went to a local used music gear store and bought tables and a mixer they had there just to try it out and see if I liked it. I taught myself a few things then slowly started to upgrade my equipment. I figured as I upgraded I could sell off my old stuff to help pay for the new shit. Plus there wo7uld be nothing worse than dropping a grand on all this great equipment then a month after buying it deciding that spinning records just isn't the thing for you.

zack wikka wikka wikka morris

Zack Morris - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  9. __ __ __ __

__ __ __ __ 12oz Elite Member

__ __ __ __ - Replied Feb 20, 2005

i didnt read everyones posr, but just BUY TECHNICS!!!! save and buy them. dont buy ANY dj kits... they are a waste of money.. shit, even buy a basice dj instructional video, yes they are corney, but you learn the basic stuff from them. buy a decent mixer. spend about $200-300 for the mixer. i know it MIGHT ssem expensive, but i bought a Vestax PMC-07 mixer($550 @ the time) and i still love it, it has some cool options. so heres a list...

(2) Technics 12000s
    (1) descent mixer
    (1) pair of Stanton craze scratch needles(upgrade later after you get better)
    (1) kind of learning video(this will help you get started with mixing/cutting)
    (1) Love for the music you are going to play.

* oh and a side note,if you got the money, buy records weekly or bi-weekly. you can NEVER have enough records.

but i stress that you buy the TEchnics.. everyone i have ever known that spun said "man i should have just waited for the money to get technics"
    they try and sell their crappy tables and dont even get half of what they payed for.. its really a waste of time. good luck and as far as shopping online, i go to FATBEATS.COM thats a hip-hop record store..and they carry some old School. you should check your local phone book as well for shops around your area.thats my 2 cents. PEACE.

*edit*
    i just read what Zack Morris said, and i say buy your tables from Guitarcenter.com... you have 30 days to return, even if its past you could always put your setup for sale on EBAY.. they easily go for top dollar.real talk.

__ __ __ __ - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  10. Sarah Tonin

Sarah Tonin Dirty Dozen Crew

Sarah Tonin - Replied Feb 20, 2005

if you wanna get into spinnin hiphop i suggest buying vinyl from those 3 sites listed. and if you're still where im at,and you wanna purchase offline, DJ's Record Store on lafeyette is huge and loaded with tons of vinyl, and Relative Theory on granby for that underground ish.

are you thinking about becoming a mobile dj or just to making random mixtapes and such? come up with any names to call yourself?

Sarah Tonin - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  11. __ __ __ __

__ __ __ __ 12oz Elite Member

__ __ __ __ - Replied Feb 20, 2005

__ __ __ __ - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  12. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller 12oz Elite Member

Ferris Bueller - Replied Feb 20, 2005

Battle records and shit.

Ferris Bueller - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  13. TRAMP

TRAMP 12oz Member

TRAMP - Replied Feb 20, 2005

TRAMP - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  14. Vanity

Vanity 12oz Veteran Member

Vanity - Replied Feb 21, 2005

i have to promote sqratchattack.. zorlon is a good guy it and will more than likely hit you off w/ some free shit

Vanity - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  15. Vanity

Vanity 12oz Veteran Member

Vanity - Replied Feb 21, 2005

oh.. and for needles.... you don't really need anything better than stanton 500s until you really start getting into really technical stuff.. they def. have the most bang for the buck

Vanity - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages: