12oz DJs

mr.yuck

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by avils@Feb 21 2005, 08:26 PM

buying SL1200's when youre just learning/starting to dj is like learning to drive in a ferrari...

get something cheaper and work your way up. believe me, you'll appreciate the good equipment when you finally get your hands on it.

:huh?:

If you're confident you'll stick with it, getting 1200's is a way of knowing you'll never need to buy turntables again.

I have a pair of the Numark TTX's and I like them, but people make fun of me.

nope.... my computer is a shuttle

and what's the big deal with scratching?

oh wait..... this is almost a hiphop site.

I forget that sometimes.

Really as long as you can 'scratch' enough to cue up

your tracks without skipping, you'll be fine. Besides....

anyone who's buying a set of 12's just to scratch will

be wasting their money. Like I said before.... you have

to really like music, all types of music, to be a good dj.

holy fuckers....... this is exactly what yuck needs !

http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Complete-DJ-Systems--2460

you can always add a 1200 into the setup later if you want to.

you'll want to aim for a good mixer. (bass, middle, trebble with kills, hamster etc)

you can use a top quality mixer for scratching

(but maybe not 'battle tricks' like using your nutsak to do it)

but you CAN'T use a 'scratch' mixer to do smooth house/dnb blends

ps.... this mixer will take you years to outgrow. Dont think that you wont use some basic features like EQ's just because you want to play hiphop.

what kind of music does the Yucky One get down to anyway?

another ps....

my ex books some of the largest dj's in the world, and the professional mixer of choice..... RANE!

Originally posted by <KEY3>@Feb 21 2005, 09:59 PM

my ex books some of the largest dj's in the world, and the professional mixer of choice..... RANE!

ugh dude...fuck a rane mixer. i had the misfortune of having to use one of those at a show....i though the damn mixer was going to break everytime i touched it. not to mention the flimsy fader....that fucking thing was completly out of control. ive always used vestax....im currently rocking the 05 though ive also used the 06 and a few of their techno mixers which were all great.

on another note, fuck the 07...if you bought that mixer you may also be interested in a cave of gold i found the other day. its filled with giant gold bars and i dont want to deal with it all so im selling maps for $10,000.00. i accept pay pal. holla.

hahaha....

we just need to make a dj-superthread.

I've tried in the past but with no luck.

the deal with Rane mixers is that all of the top 'dance' dj's

have rane's in their rider. Rotary knobs are great for house blends.

this is my dream tech mixer:

000001ctrl---L.jpg

it can mix up an omlette!

actually most of the mystery knobs and buttons are triggers for ableton software.

Ritchie Hawtin was one of the forerunners of finalscratch but now he's on ableton live.

the miser above is not a production model.

I'm a bedroom DJ, and I'm only familiar with this Vestax PMC-05 I've had from the get go. Basic as hell but solid. Lacking in the ability to blend, which I found out is probably the most important part of being a DJ. When I bought the stuff I was obsessed with scratching.

they may be great for "dance music" (ive only seen Okenfold and Sister Bliss use them) but rane mixers arent all that. too much waste of money.

seriously, best all round mixer is that black technics one they use for the DMC champs. its perfect for scratching.and ive always thought that if you need a mixer with more effects than god you shouldnt be djing.

Originally posted by <KEY3>@Feb 21 2005, 10:51 PM

Ritchie Hawtin was one of the forerunners of finalscratch but now he's on ableton live.

this is a man you uses these programs correctly! i had the pleasure of catching him live a few years back and it was amazing....i think i actually bounced on grooverider to go catch his set.....it was just that good.

well people have been dj'ing with CDs for years and years and years....

but they work mostly at weddings and stripclubs. They are shunned.

Now you can do the same thing with mp3's and I think it's good for some things.

You can filter, loop, eq and do all types of effects that would cost the bedroom dj

thousands of dollars to get all the gear together. Good dj's who are at heart musicians

will use new technology to make their ideas happen. Others will just cheese the whole thing up.

Originally posted by sneak@Feb 21 2005, 11:56 PM

they may be great for "dance music" (ive only seen Okenfold and Sister Bliss use them) but rane mixers arent all that. too much waste of money.

seriously, best all round mixer is that black technics one they use for the DMC champs. its perfect for scratching.and ive always thought that if you need a mixer with more effects than god you shouldnt be djing.

Wrong on both counts. Ranes TTM (52, 54, 56) Series was created by Sugacutz, Steelworkerz and Kenny Parker, all of which are established in the scratch/hiphop community. I've had all 3 and the quality is superb. Rane is known for it's excellent sound and with the creation of the TTM series, the level of scratch performance is unmatched. Yes even the Vestax is beaten out by this.

As for the technics mixer, it's well known that it's a piece of shit that Technics threw out there to get a scratch mixer on board. It breaks down very quickly, fader bleeds in an amazingly short amount of time, knobs break, phone/line switch crackles after use, it's ridiculous how cheaply made this was.

Here is a list of the following mixers i've had: (some more than once)

Technics SH-1200 (much to my complete fucking regret, though they did re-vamp it and I pray it's better now)

Rane TTM-52, TTM-54i, TTM-56 (current mixer, never been happier)

Vestax 05-Pro and ISP Edition Quad 07-Pro (this was a fuckin fresh mixer)

Tried the focus faders, didn't like them. Way too loose, good for noobs that wanna crab all day, sucks for combos. P&G all the way.

I've been scratching for 9 years now and for those that think that if you only scratch and it's not music or you're not a real dj, can suck a dick. So I suppose just playing the violin isn't music? Or what about playing the piano? Drums? Guitar? So in order to be a "real" dj, you have to blend (ooooh, difficult) OTHER PEOPLES SHIT. Well fuck that, I'm much more interested in making full compositions using nothing but cuts. Everything from the beats/drums, vocals, horns, hi's, mid's, and bass is completely scratched.