12oz DJs

mr.yuck

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what can i say, everyone seems to have different eperiences on different mixers...

ive only used a rane once, didnt like it. for some reason, i just couldnt get used to it...

whereas ive always had a good time with the technics one...

anyway you seem to know way more than me on specifics so ill leave it at that.

yes yes yes.... I hear your point seldoon.

my point was that you have to be a fan of music

to make music, and the same thing applies to cutting.

Unless you understand things like 16th notes, bars and rests

you wont be stringing together anything musical, just a bunch

of sounds.

The more you know is the more you know, you know?

f60an.gif

I need a new mixer. I'm thinking that one zack morris knows and loves.

When I first got a set of decks, I went with the best deal I could find. I'm the kind of person that loves somethin one minute, then doesnt touch it for months. so i got a Numark battle pak numark-battlepak4.jpg

It's real basic, but does the job for the beginner. It actually helps you in the long run, because you gotta have light hands on the platter(which is stronger than most other budget decks I've used). The mixer is RRRREAL basic tho, so mos def you gotta upgrade that ish.

I've ordered several records from turntablelab.com and have nothin bad to say about em. If you're in the chicago area you can hit up grammaphone on north clark, they have decks in store that you can preview records on. PEACE!

Key

I listen to first and foremost rap. In close second is classic rock. I listen to a lot of jazz although i couldnt pick out one artist from another. Funk and soul are also high up there. Then as far as any other type of music, its kinda just a mix up of what i like when i hear it.

Originally posted by Æ°@Feb 21 2005, 07:45 PM

Holy shit what can that thing do?

it would probably do you if you were drunk(they like to take advantage of people)

Djing is great. i love it. DjHavik once told me... "hey, if you wanna Dj.. dont cry"

i didnt get anything out of it, but ill ask him and add on..

well i gave you all my life story. peace.

Originally posted by <KEY3>@Feb 22 2005, 02:57 PM

yes yes yes.... I hear your point seldoon.

my point was that you have to be a fan of music

to make music, and the same thing applies to cutting.

Unless you understand things like 16th notes, bars and rests

you wont be stringing together anything musical, just a bunch

of sounds.

The more you know is the more you know, you know?

f60an.gif

I need a new mixer. I'm thinking that one zack morris knows and loves.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHVMX300

this is where I got mine....well worth the $130

I've got a Rane TTM 54 and it's fucking fantastic for scratching and beat juggling. But I don't really do that shit anymore.

But when I did, I beat the hell outta that mixer everyday for over an hour for a couple of years and it still operates fine, except my channel 1 fader needs to be replaced because it doesn't fade no more.

anyone who's down for trades just holler.

I'm sitting on 20gb of just mixes right now,

plus a heap of mixed albums. Most every genre is covered.

hell.... if anyone is really interested,

I'm down to trade DVD's filled with mp3 mixes.

CDJ-800_main.jpg

Do not waste your money on vinyl turntables you will waste a ton of money on records which takes the fun out of djing. Get the CDJ 800's they are by far the best cd turntables you can get. They're around $450~500. Scratching on these are very easy. Take it from me, I've been spinning for 7 years and I think you should go with the CDJs unless you have a lot of money to waste because you can NEVER have enough records.

HDJ-1000_main.jpg

these headphones rule

mixer_pmc07pro.jpg

best scratching mixer

you could send me the playlist,

then I could tell you what mixes I wanted,

then you burn them to a disc and send them off.

I've made a playlist that anyone with winamp can read.

damn... I copied the text in here but it's a pain.

just PM me if you want to swap lists and do a trade.

Originally posted by D0WN@Feb 22 2005, 11:54 PM

Do not waste your money on vinyl turntables you will waste a ton of money on records which takes the fun out of djing. Get the CDJ 800's they are by far the best cd turntables you can get. They're around $450~500. Scratching on these are very easy. Take it from me, I've been spinning for 7 years and I think you should go with the CDJs unless you have a lot of money to waste because you can NEVER have enough records.

boogie hands is going to flip over that.

I'm a digital kid grown into a full on adult digital consumer,

and I have to say one thing..... get BOTH!

You can use the CDJs with real tables and toss everything in the mix.

Dont limit yourself. Junk store records still have some of the best musci ever made.

the CDJs arent bad.. they respond OK... but i remmeber the whole point to being a dj(Hip-Hop) was to have the vinyl, and feel it, and juggle it, and even break the shits when you are mad... i dont know how many Djs on here are on the same page as me, but Being a Dj is Having Turntables, with needles, with classic break beat vinyl. remember your hip hop roots, or learn them.

but back to the Cdjs... they are fun for a bit, but there nothing like the real thing you know?.. i would say find someone with them, and play around for a bit. you WILL notice a difference,maybe its the years talking, but NOTHING CAN BEAT SPINNING VINYL.

You just cant do certain effects or tricks if your a scratch dj with cd decks.... no mechanical parts to mess with means no rubs or any other 'tonearm' type tricks...... I must say though that if your just planning on playing and beatmixing music they are pretty good.. And also 100 cd's weigh a hell of a lot less then 100 records

fuck dat expensive weak shit..

get technics..nothing else. the mk3d's are dope and they're black and can play fucking upside down sideways whatever even after being blown up with c4... if ya cant afford two..buy one at a time. if ya can't afford one.. then you shouldn't be spinning anyways..cause its mad expensive, yo. especially once you get into the habit of buying records...every week. they're like 7-16 bucks depending.. i paid 37 for a rare radiohead record once..so shit is crazy. it's a collectors hobby.

get a pioneer mixer..with all the effects and shit. saves money in the long run by having all that shit in one place. get the djm600. severely dope.

as far as learning..start by just matching beats. do that for like 5 or 6 months then move on to harder shit.

and for the love of god.. do not toy out and get cd players.. fuck dat yo. there is no comparison to real vinyl. we call those herbs CJ's in chicago..fuck them. learn the hard way..its much more of an art.

it's like comparing stencilers to real graf heads.

plus...cj's look like homo's. i guarantee i look way more badass walking in with my two stainless steel record bags than some geek with a frickin cd case. maybe im just a purist. but ay yo..if you want to be a cj..go for it...there's plenty of bar mitzvahs and weddings you can play at...and maybe you can even wear those wireless microphone headsets and run around the room pumping up the crowd... either way youre a toy. kill yourself.

mr.ekted

dead fish crew

Originally posted by __ __ __ __@Feb 23 2005, 06:12 AM

the CDJs arent bad.. they respond OK... but i remmeber the whole point to being a dj(Hip-Hop) was to have the vinyl, and feel it, and juggle it, and even break the shits when you are mad... i dont know how many Djs on here are on the same page as me, but Being a Dj is Having Turntables, with needles, with classic break beat vinyl. remember your hip hop roots, or learn them.

but back to the Cdjs... they are fun for a bit, but there nothing like the real thing you know?.. i would say find someone with them, and play around for a bit. you WILL notice a difference,maybe its the years talking, but NOTHING CAN BEAT SPINNING VINYL.

word. this is EXACTLY what i wanted to say.

however the entire argument changes when you talk about DUB.

the original dub pioneers played from tape loops.

I've heard that Mad Professor still does a live set

from nothing but tape loops and a giant mishmash

of analog amps and effects. Different genres, differnt technology.

Originally posted by <KEY3>@Feb 22 2005, 11:09 PM

anyone who's down for trades just holler.

I'm sitting on 20gb of just mixes right now,

plus a heap of mixed albums. Most every genre is covered.

hell.... if anyone is really interested,

I'm down to trade DVD's filled with mp3 mixes.

key i can't trade music cuz i don't have any mizes but i would trade something else for a couple dnb cd's

i got art

i got flicks

i got muney