Cooking with 12oz

Guest Are2

can anyone recommend a quality and affordable electric rice steamer/cooker??

you want to try and get a teflon lined rice cooker. i say that, because the teflon keeps the rice from sticking to the cooker. it all depends on how big you want it. we have a 5 cup teflon cooker, and it cost us $100.00. you can get smaller ones for cheaper prices. we got ours down on canal st, but you can probably get stuff at any asian food market, wal-mart, target, etc. i was disappointed that i didn't get a gold rope as an added canal st. bonus. shit, i didn't even get a bootleg copy of Shrek 3. good luck.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
i know i asked this question a while back and i don't remember the answer. i did a search for it but i can't seem to find it.

can anyone recommend a quality and affordable electric rice steamer/cooker??

i am trying to make an effort to eat cheap and healthy, so i think one of these would be helpful.

thanks in advance.

i bought a small one at walmart makes 4 cups for about 14 dollars i believe

take the pan off the heat and add pomegranate juice and balsamic vinegar. lower the heat to medium and place pan back onto heat. the liquids will deglaze the pans of all the brown bits that have formed from the searing process. these bits are packed with intense meaty flavor, so make sure to scrape them all up, incorporating them into your sauce. the sauce will reach an active boil and as some of the liquids evaporate away, you'll see the sauce start to thicken. once it's reduce by a third (meaning about a third of the liquid has evaporated), add the red onions. cook for about 2 minutes, which is just enough time to soften the onions a bit and infuse them with the flavor of the sauce while still leaving some crunch.

this sounds really good im making steak tonight, i always marinade my meat but was never familar with making any reduction sauces.. thanks

i still don't want meat after 12+ years.

duuno. i don't care about seafood anymore either.

i still hate tofu though.

funny too, i eat tons of rice and beans and a bunch of variations on the theme.

i discovered last year i really like lentils too and they are easy.

throw some dried lentils in veggie stock to cover, add salt and pepper

i like to make a saute of onions, garlic and carrots to use as a base before i've added the lentils.

cumin and coriander spice it up nicely.

maybe some parsley in there too.

good over rice

but i discovered you can pour the lentil stew mixture over baked potatoes, carrots and brocolli, with some melted cheese, for a ridiculously good veggie casserole.

2bread + 3cheese + 4heat= grilled cheese buttering the bread makes it tastier

bread+ heat + toast

hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrchhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaattttaaaaaa is 1 cup rice soaked in water with a cinnamon stick soak for 4 hours then blend with 2 cups of water one cup of sugar one gallon of whole milk and one evaporated milk then mix and 2 tablespoons of vanilla

this thread probably has a decent number of non meat meals in it, since i'm vegetarian (and obviously some others are too) and have been posting in here for years.

other than that, http://www.epicurious.com is good place to look for recipes, but since i know how to cook so much stuff i don't usually check cooking websites.

*and no , i ever never heard of that technique for tenderizing meat..

so i google tenderizing meat papaya, nd find from wiki that papaya has an enzyme in it called papain, that does tenderize meat! cool shit!

Green papaya fruit and the trees latex are both rich in an enzyme called papain, a protease which is useful in tenderizing meat and other proteins. Its ability to break down tough meat fibers was utilized for thousands of years by indigenous Americans. It is included as a component in powdered meat tenderizers, and is also marketed in tablet form to remedy digestive problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papaya

Thanks !@#$%.

I haven't got the point of cooking without a guideline.

This currently in my over right now:

2 Tbsp smoked paprika

2 Tbsp honey

1 Tbsp lemon juice

1 Tbsp softened butter

2 teaspoons garlic salt (or 1 teaspoon salt plus 1 teaspoon garlic powder)

1/2 teaspoon pepper

Spread over a whole chicken. Throw in over @375 for about 1 hour 15 minutes or so.

Made it a couple times and its good stuff. I usually add a little more lemon juice and pepper.

I can't believe people don't love tofu on here. Fry that shit up, tastes better than meat. Breakfast burritos are the bomb too. There is so a dearth of meatless recipes out there, let me hit you with a simple one.

Age-dofu (Japanese fried tofu)

Block tofu, deep fried until crispy outside, serve in bonito broth with bonito shavings on top. Cam be made veg by eliminating bonito broth, adding simple veg broth, placing fried onions on top or nothing at all, it's awesome any way.

I usually fry thin strips pr blocks of tofu and use them in stir fries. Pad thai is an easy one.

garlic mashed potatoes with carmelized onions.

1.5 pounds yukon potatoes'

2 cups diced onion

2 tsp salt

2 oz. sake

1 tablespoon butter

parsley to garnish

pepper to taste

cut potatoes and boil them in water with a little salt

while boiling carmelize onions in pan over medium heat for 15 minutes til golden color

drain potatoes, put back in pot add 3/4 of the onions, the butter, the sake. salt and pepper to taste

plate and garnish with remaining onion and parsley.

thats an awesome twist to the old garlic mash standby. good lookin out

I used make a lemon beurre blanc sauce to throw in mash,

reduce equal parts white wine and lemon juice and some shallots in a pan maybe 80-90%. almost down to nothing. then add some cream. let that heat up and reduce a bit, just a little bit.. then remove from the heat and whisk in a bunch of butter

i can t give exact amounts because i've made it so many times when i used to cook in restaraunts. but its not hard, you can find a recipe online

maybe add dill or something if you're feeling like a baller

i just made some really delicious jamaican jerk marinade for my portabella mushroom, bf used the rest for his ribs. it is so tasty...

chop up about 1/4 cup or more of shallots, chopping all these ingredients very fine

1/4 cup red onion

a few cloves of garlic.. dried garlic if that's what you've got

some scallions (or not, i didn't have em but they'd be good in there)

add 1 tsp thyme (dried, or a bit more if fresh)

1 tsp allspice

dashes of pepper

some shopped hot pepper

(thanks to alure for the dried red peppers, which i used in this.. YUM!)

basically habanero or whatever heat level you like.

mix in a couple tablespoons of packed dark brown sugar

couple tablespoons of oil (vegetable oil, peanut oil, olive oil prolly all good in this)

a few tablespoons of lemon or lime juice

and a couple tablespoons of soy sauce.

mash it all up

yummy!

symbols after reading that i made something very similar:

chili powder, thyme, soy sauce, butter, apricot/jalapeno bbq sauce (instead of lime and sugar), pepper, hot sauce, a little bit of peanut satay sauce cuz i thought the sauce was too thick at first... chicken and rice. in the rice i put in some lebanese garlic sauce, went well with the jerk.

good looking on the recipe.

sure thing!

tonight i made beans and rice, a staple @ my house..

very simple though, i had a busy day at work.

sauteed diced shallots, onions, green peppers and tomatoes.

added lots of chili powder, some salt and pepper, cayenne and coriander

threw in some cooked rice and some tomato paste, and had to add water (veggie stock was out)

and worcesteshire sauce

* a note on cooking rice

the most important thing seems to be a pot with a tight fitting lid

i usually make rice by mixing 2 cups of water and 1 cup of rice in the pot

heating until boiling

stirring, then lowering the heat to the lowest setting nd putting on the lid.

usually i boil for about 16 minutes.

i don't stir or move the rice or remove the lid while it is cooking.

sometimes i add a little butter or salt, not always.

this tends to work regardless of what kind of white rice i use (long grain, basmati, jasmine)

but i don't alter the formula and i use a nice calphalon sauce pot

Archived