The John Oliver and Clarence Thomas deal

mr.yuck

For those that haven't heard yet, on the premier episode of his show, John Oliver offered to pay 1 million dollars a year to Clarence Thomas to step down from the supreme court. 

Is he gonna do it? I don't think he really wants the job and I don't think all of his free gifts total a million a year anyway.

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

This goes to show how valuable he is as a Justice, and how willing to break laws set in our core legal document most people are. They've convinced most voters the government should have zero limits on what it can do to, or impose on individuals even in cases where it's super obvious the constitution doesn't allow it and what they want is illegal. He's probably the number one roadblock in their way.

• Truth 1

16 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

Nah. He's offering him a new job. Can't do both jobs at the same time.

I got what you're saying.   To clarify he's not an idiot, idiot.   What I mean, is he is offering something for something he disagrees with, so he's basically saying he would engage in behind closed door dealings for personal reasons. 

It just doesn't make his character look good irl. 

Although business is business so ratings is what writes his checks so I am sure I would probably say the same nonsense to keep it going. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

@ndvThat would be spicy as fuck if the feds snatched up John Oliver with a bunch of counts of tampering or some shit.

That's what I am saying why I thought he was an idiot for saying that.

• Truth 1

Adding some context here.... John Oliver does get sued by some of his subjects, and it's regular enough in his show to mention that the show consulted or was advised by lawyers on what they could or couldn't say/do.

The story singles out Clarence Thomas as perhaps the worst offender, but names other Supreme Court justices with similar situations.

An important piece of this story is that there are little to no rules for Supreme Court justices, and they essentially answer to themselves- the idea that they are the highest court in the land and therefore can answer to no one else.  For example, it would seem common sense to recuse themselves from cases where they're friends with people who have an interest in that case, but there's no one to make them do it.

IMO what John Oliver has done here is funny, maybe even smart.  As is, people who have the money to buy the favor of a Supreme Court judge do so without repercussion.  They basically pay him to sit on the court and rule in their favor.  John Oliver is offering Clarence Thomas similar financial gain for the rest of his life to leave the court, and there are no current rules or laws to prevent John Oliver from doing so.

Final piece of context, the show focuses on conservative judges but realistically every judge on the Supreme Court should face the same scrutiny.

• Like 2
  • Truth 1