Whatcha listening to in 2024 and Why?

IdleHandz

Figured we could use this space for any music discussion that you deem important for your soul. Recommendations are always cool too.

So what are you guys listening to these days?

I am currently stuck in the 80s and 90s this week. The up beat fast paced hype has helped me stay in a flow recently. Something about songs from my adolescence that I didn't understand then but liked the song. I find it to be a full circle. Often finding myself wondering why it took me so long to actually listen to what some songs were about. A good example of this for me would be 99 Luftballoons by Nena. Its pretty crazy how different the UK version is from the German original. I feel like it shouldn't have even been made, the original speaks volumes. Carlo Karges, the writer responsible for the lyrics did a great job. Its pretty crazy 30 some years ago and here we are in the same state almost. 

I will update this soon with a list of what I'm actually listening to so you all could check it out; just need to get it all organized.
for now though I'll leave you with the song of today for me. Sleep Deprivation by Chance Pena. Found it a few weeks ago, one of the ones that gets my chest burning and extra moisture on the rim of my eye lids. 

Noticed the past threads have been locked, so feel free to just ball out with your tunes in here y'all. otherwise ill see you in the vinyl thread!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

After ignoring the tech for years I downloaded and installed spotify for the first time middle of last year.

I am listening to music much more as consequence but still have some figuring to do with the interface.

I like to listen to albums all the way through, or listen to a well thought out compilation with some sort of theme.

In the time before time I used to listen to a lot of soundtracks and assorted compilations.

My experience with spotify is that they want to shove only tangentially related music down your throat, does anyone have suggestions for improving the experience? 

Yesterday for example I was thinking about old American music related to the great state of California and recalled this song 

by Woody Guthie.

I could not recall the exact name but asked my car to play Woodie Guthrie song about California, it started out playing two songs from different best of Woody type comps and then played the Dropkick Murphies sampling Woody Guthrie, which really is not the same thing at all.

Where do I go in the app to improve my experience? Part of the problem is that I really only listen in my work truck. Maybe today I will try to dial it in a little from home.

To the question at hand, I have been listening to albums from my youth, all the way through to see how they hold up. 

Last week I did All Eyez on Me, it held up more or less. 

If anyone wants to suggest an album to take to the test I am up for it, I was thinking Nirvana's Nevermind or Bleach might be next on the nostalgia trials.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, morton said:

After ignoring the tech for years I downloaded and installed spotify for the first time middle of last year.

I am listening to music much more as consequence but still have some figuring to do with the interface.

I like to listen to albums all the way through, or listen to a well thought out compilation with some sort of theme.

In the time before time I used to listen to a lot of soundtracks and assorted compilations.

My experience with spotify is that they want to shove only tangentially related music down your throat, does anyone have suggestions for improving the experience? 

Yesterday for example I was thinking about old American music related to the great state of California and recalled this song 

by Woody Guthie.

I could not recall the exact name but asked my car to play Woodie Guthrie song about California, it started out playing two songs from different best of Woody type comps and then played the Dropkick Murphies sampling Woody Guthrie, which really is not the same thing at all.

Where do I go in the app to improve my experience? Part of the problem is that I really only listen in my work truck. Maybe today I will try to dial it in a little from home.

To the question at hand, I have been listening to albums from my youth, all the way through to see how they hold up. 

If anyone wants to suggest an album to take to the test I am up for it, I was thinking Nirvana's Nevermind or Bleach might be next on the nostalgia trials.

I am going to have to get back to you on this one big man. 

do not worry though I will be laying in my bed wide awake all night. I got you, come morn.

• 2 weeks later...

@mortonyou can search whatever decades you’d like to listen to. I just searched 2000 dad rock; and am listening to various songs from then. Pretty clutch, 

for recalling songs. There’s an app called Shazam. You can just recite/sing the words you know and it will bring up the song for you. I’ve had to do that plenty of times trying to remember; sometimes only singing 3 words. 

On 2/18/2024 at 7:53 PM, morton said:

by Woody Guthie.

If you like Concept albums with an overarching story, try listen to the Ayreon albums, as they all have a continuing story with a few albums isolated from the main one and are self contained.

I would suggest starting with listening to "The Human Equation" album all the way through as it was where I started with the project, and as it is one of the isolated stories within the story you can get a taste of the genius that is Arjen Anthony Luccasen.

• Like 1

As this forum is rooted in art, I suggest this as after 1000 plus listens I still hear new things each time O rearrange things.

My most listened to album of the past two years according to whatever metrics Apple and Youtube send Me. And the 43 sections because I turn 43 this year, and for further context I suggest reading the below I quoted about a review of this album which explains why it is perhaps THE greatest album conceptually of all time.

Pompous, Pretentious, Brave, Bizarre, All words which rage through my mind when faced with Beyond Twilight's most recent opus, For The Love Of Art And The Making. Before even moving on to the main body of the review, it's worth trying to get an understanding of what we're faced with here. 43 tracks ranging from mere seconds to around three minutes is enough to send the average metal fan flying to the bathroom, or to paint a smile from ear to ear with the average experimental/prog fan. Beyond Twilight mastermind Finn Zierler stated: "The concept is compounded by 43 sections and 3 hidden sections. The sections are pieces of a puzzle. Lyrics and music both play important roles. Each section has its own life/story and every section is a brick of the whole puzzle. Depending on in which order you listen to the pieces of the puzzle you'll get a new picture of For The Love Of Art And The Making. So you can really understand this piece of work in numerous different ways. It's up to you how you gather the puzzle." Pretty bold statement and idea, if I may say so myself. However in all fairness to the artist and to you the readers; I've listened to this album well over 30 times both in the original track order and in shuffled track order. It's also worth listening to tracks sharing similar titles; such as "The Perfect Heart" or "In The Eyes Of My Soul" to try achieve a greater understanding of the material. 

oh man embedded player..? siiiiiccckkk..

lately my music taste is all over the place.. not much interesting in hiphop/rap lately in my opinion besides some random joints here and there.. mainly more in the phonk area finding dope remixes and shit along with the occasional metal and oldies mixed in between.. been listening to alot of gojira as well lately.. ill post a couple random bangers that ive been bumping recently..

*computer is being stupid, or more likely its me.. ill post some later..

Edited by Tails0nE
technical difficulties
  • Like 1