Unofficial Jiu Jitsu thread

glorydays

• 3 months later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Hurt my knee bad (MRI status) March 31 and just got back on the mats last week.

My movement sucks but I still hold it down decent.

I think we are having promotion in July - dude was saying we have some Black Belts coming. I dont really feel like I deserve it despite Brown for 3 years.

• Props 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
11 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

Still training - just got back from a

class.

Its been tough this year staying active on the mats with injuries and life shit but I am still making it as best as I can.

Brown 3 stripe and still grinding.

same

moving to san diego is a blessing, especially being in the heart of BJJ country

a foot injury and getting the flu recently fucked up my rhythm

• Props 1

• 2 months later...

BJJ gang, convince me to take the dive head first into this world.

Been eyeing it on and off for a while no, everyone I know who's done it seems better off for it.. if not a little obsessive over it.

I think its time to get my ass to the local gym and sign up.

On 2/20/2023 at 6:52 PM, aimer said:

BJJ gang, convince me to take the dive head first into this world.

Been eyeing it on and off for a while no, everyone I know who's done it seems better off for it.. if not a little obsessive over it.

I think its time to get my ass to the local gym and sign up.

Bro - do yourself the favor and sign up.

Best thing I have done for myself and I wish I started years before i actually got around to it.

Just got back from training - we out here. The one thing I cam say BJJ has done for me is that I am basically fearless at this point, sure you can’t fight a pistol but it is nice to have the confidence that you can hold your own with like 95% of the population. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sick to see you're still training after all this time! I haven't walked the BJJ route yet even though my coach has been urging me but I've been training Muay Thai for 4-5ish months now. Unfortunately I've been having to get some dental work done so sparring has been on hold. Looking forward to trying out Jitsu someday soon though!

• Props 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm slowly getting back to training after a 3 year break. 

I stayed watching Bjj (highlights, breakdowns and tutorials) for most of this time and feel like despite the time off, I think my overall game is much better than it was. 

Let's see if this feeling lasts!

• Props 1

@poeswas it an injury that stopped you from

training?

Yesterday Big Dude (260ish) stops 1 minute before the 5 min round ends saying I have ran my forearm into his jaw 3 times. Dude is a purple belt and is pretty tough, I was surprised he quit before the round. 

I use my forearm for pressure and to make dudes uncomfortable all the time (bigger dudes in my weight class). Its pretty standard BJJ, its not like I was doing muay thai strikes or anything. 

Its a combat sport man act like it. 

Been training 3x a week for the last 3 weeks which is good for me. 

• Like 1

@fat ralphyNo not from injury, it was a combination of covid lockdown. Then  switching jobs, further away from the gym. Then I had a new baby to go with the new job.

Then somehow 3 years went by... 

I have a new gym now, 10 mins from home - so no excuses (ish). 

I was managing 3-4x per week before covid. These days, I am content with 1 - 2x, supplemented with some home study.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

@poes you still putting in time on the mats.

Last night this new kid, white belt starts a roll with me. I take a weaker position and let him work a back take.The mat was super crowded so I expected a reasonable roll - maybe 50-75%

Out of nowhere he starts going ham and is really at full bore for a submission. Strong fucking kid, hr was tough and I was at risk for sure. I got pissed and put it on him. He was

in my guard and sat back so I hit a sit up sweep and went for an ezekiel. 

Dude gave up and was so

salty he just bounced out - grabbed his bag and left after that round. 

My first class in 2 weeks after I had to deal with some medical shit - everything turned out great so I am back at it. Shooting for 3 days a week, no gi tomorrow. 

• LOL! 1

Haha I never understood why some people get salty over Ezekiel’s. 

I’m averaging about 1-2 hours per week, which is fine for me given how busy life is. I am Supplementing with instructionals which makes a big difference. Just finished Danaher 4x4 mount dvd which was really good and easy to implement. 

However, after the last couple of classes I apparently need to go back and learn pin escapes and guard retention lol. 

• Like 2

@fat ralphyyes it still feels new and exciting after taking such an extended break.

It’s cliche but realise now it’s very much a marathon not a sprint, or even a race. A lot of people training 5x per week will come and go.

My main focus is on avoiding injury, putting on a few kg of muscle and fitting in training in a way that doesn’t detract from my family duties. Which I realise now I can do if I don’t drink alcohol but as soon as I do, training inevitably stops. Live and learn.