Unofficial Jiu Jitsu thread

glorydays

I have had almost too much on my plate mentally - yesterday I went to train and I just couldn’t get into it. I still feel it was the right thing to do but I couldn’t even put up a solid roll for anyone who was a reasonable opponent.

One of the other students took the time to check in with me which really helped me feel connected.

• Props 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
10 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

I have had almost too much on my plate mentally - yesterday I went to train and I just couldn’t get into it. I still feel it was the right thing to do but I couldn’t even put up a solid roll for anyone who was a reasonable opponent.

One of the other students took the time to check in with me which really helped me feel connected.

I feel that.

I usually deal with horrible shit by fucking some chick or intense drilling

Same movements over and over again 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

Hitting the weights has improved my game immensely with higher level belts at my academy. 

Currently training x2 weekly but plan to up it to x3 soon.....

I've been doing kettle bell training and farmer's walk with heavy sand bags.

All just to train my hips.

1 hour ago, fat ralphy said:

@glorydays that will definitely net some solid results - the hips don't lie. /shakiraoner

Are you in LA? For some reason I thought you were an East Coast guy......

That school has some solid lineage. 

LMAO

nothing gets past you

I was born in virginia beach

But yea, ive been working out there for a few weeks. It's been giving me some good vibes while I take a break from everything and get out of my comfort zone.

20210415_133832.thumb.jpg.1e58b5b4a65f1162e0cd577a4bb39d00.jpg

Edited by glorydays
  • Props 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

Good training last night. Didn’t realize my ear got tucking rocked at one point or another- cauliflower ear and arthritis, the cost of doing business.

Two days in a row finally, going to train Thursday too. 

Are you gonna rank soon?

I haven't gotten a stripe in a while.

I didnt know what i was thinking not lifting while training...I'm never going to stop weight lifting now

@glorydays

I lift but not really to bulk - although look at Galvao and maybe bulking is not a bad thing. Will definitely impact flexibility though but the plus sides are worth more than the downside .

We are having promotion soon - I may get a stripe. I have been a brown belt for about 18 months or so - pandemic fucked up my progress. Definitely getting back into the groove now.....should train at least 3x a week. 

• Truth 1

• 5 weeks later...

@glorydays dude that is definitely going to be awesome - come back and tell us what you guys go over.

Trained last night - almost got got....saved by the bell. Collegiate State wrestling champ jar head judo brown belt and bjj brown, gives me the best rolls in the whole

academy. Got me with a paper cutter- I glanced up and saw 13 seconds left and just figured I could suffer it out and avoid tapping.

Love rolling with that guy....challenges me every time .

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, fat ralphy said:

@glorydays dude that is definitely going to be awesome - come back and tell us what you guys go over.

Trained last night - almost got got....saved by the bell. Collegiate State wrestling champ jar head judo brown belt and bjj brown, gives me the best rolls in the whole

academy. Got me with a paper cutter- I glanced up and saw 13 seconds left and just figured I could suffer it out and avoid tapping.

Love rolling with that guy....challenges me every time .

so you wrestle to from stand up now?

you don't pull guard any more?

I've been challenged by this high school kid to wrestle from stand up but i always end up pulling guard

8 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

@glorydayswe have been practicing stand up more lately due to a handful of guys who went down South last weekend to compete in worlds.

Regarding this dude all of our rills are solid, i play a guard start when practicing at the academy - we all start from sitting/crouch for the most part due to space.

saaaame

for us its just a matter of space

@fat ralphy

went to the garage

fucking glorious

i was the only white belt in a sea of sharks

that shit was fucking amazing...i got my ass handed to me BUT i learned so many basic techniques that I overlooked 

I learned about proper base and applying pressure while relaxing

I also learned that I cannot hurt Chris no matter what i do

• Props 1

@glorydays

The proper base/pressure and relaxing thing is something I mention constantly to beginners....

Maybe not beginners, most of the time I won’t really be super proactive about helping someone until they have been there for a while.

Man that sounds like it was a great time....to be the only white belt there, classic.

• Truth 1

1 minute ago, fat ralphy said:

@glorydays

The proper base/pressure and relaxing thing is something I mention constantly to beginners....

Maybe not beginners, most of the time I won’t really be super proactive about helping someone until they have been there for a while.

Man that sounds like it was a great time....to be the only white belt there, classic.

they were so welcoming also.....none of them thought to not help me

all of them were teaching me something

i learned proper combat base and base squatting for posture retention

I also learned single leg ankle take downs

I still need to learn to relax.....my endurance is shit

• Props 1

4 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

@glorydays word.

headed to class tonight, strained my shoulder this weekend but it seems to be all good now. Hopefully get some good rolls in....

so Melissa Haueter said i can roll at their place whenever i wanted

so i'm gonna go to UACTP to get trained by chris every wed and garage training friday

then back to UACTP on saturday

I'm gonna get back into lifting now that i'm healing

Dope thread! Been really interested in joining a BJJ or Muay Thai gym over the past year, just waiting to hit some fitness goals before I commit effort anywhere else.
Does anyone have any tips for recognizing if a gym is junk or not? I have one pretty close to me but I can't be sure if it would be a decent place to train or not. 

18 minutes ago, joshh.702 said:

Dope thread! Been really interested in joining a BJJ or Muay Thai gym over the past year, just waiting to hit some fitness goals before I commit effort anywhere else.
Does anyone have any tips for recognizing if a gym is junk or not? I have one pretty close to me but I can't be sure if it would be a decent place to train or not. 

the teacher, also called a professor, has to be a nice person

i know that sounds wild pussy.....but trust me when i say that this shit is important

if the teacher is an asshole, don't even think about that gym....in the long run, that shit will just turn you off to the art or make you quit early

there's nothing mystical about bjj....in essence, it's just wrestling

if the teacher starts talking about mystical magic shit, fucking bounce

you might get curious and ask where he professor got their black belt or ranked belt from

if you do, make sure you can verify by calling the person they mentioned or at least the gym they got belted from

Edited by glorydays
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, glorydays said:

the teacher, also called a professor, has to be a nice person

i know that sounds wild pussy.....but trust me when i say that this shit is important

if the teacher is an asshole, don't even think about that gym....in the long run, that shit will just turn you off to the art or make you quit early

there's nothing mystical about bjj....in essence, it's just wrestling

if the teacher starts talking about mystical magic shit, fucking bounce

you might get curious and ask where he professor got their black belt or ranked belt from

if you do, make sure you can verify by calling the person they mentioned or at least the gym they got belted from

@glorydaysThanks for advice G! Can't wait to start getting into it!