Unofficial Jiu Jitsu thread

glorydays

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

@glory daysI only tape when I have a sprain at this point - but I will say my fingers have gotten a bit mangled at this point after the last 8 years. 

When a finger is injured I tape it to another one, that’s about it.

Some of the joints in my fingers bulge - I probably should have taped up regularly when I started. 

Haven’t trained in like 3 months - hopefully will be back on the mats soon. My game has definitely fallen off after this fucking year.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

@glory daysI only tape when I have a sprain at this point - but I will say my fingers have gotten a bit mangled at this point after the last 8 years. 

When a finger is injured I tape it to another one, that’s about it.

Some of the joints in my fingers bulge - I probably should have taped up regularly when I started. 

Haven’t trained in like 3 months - hopefully will be back on the mats soon. My game has definitely fallen off after this fucking year.

i know what you mean

i feel yesterday

25 minutes ago, fat ralphy said:

@glorydaysyour hands will just get used to the abuse and stop hurting - my grip has become pretty strong, i do hand exercises from time to time.

For the first year or so I trained I took Osteo Bi-Flex, not sure if it helped or not but figured it was worth a few bucks to try the supplement.

I'll try that out

my professor rocked my shit

2 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

@glorydaysdefinitely - not sure where you are rank wise but if you start learning gi manipulation stuff early it will be super helpful especially versus more advanced belts. 

i slept on that shit for years. on a side note youtube is a double edged sword.....

oh for sure....there is some shit that is just make believe

unrealistic shit pops up and i learn what doesnt work

4 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

i also see far too many go down the youtube rabbit hole and end up focusing their attention away from the professors intended lessons etc

but it can definitely be an asset, you’re right 

BRO, BIG FACTS

FAX MACHINE

the one thing i got from youtube is gi manipulation

i dont want to stray from my professor also.......the system he teaches is fucking rad

• Props 1

There is always open class - my first tournament I got wrecked by a dude who was probably 80lbs lighter but he had college wrestling background.

I saw him walking around before the tournament, ears completely cauliflowered.....figure he was an advanced belt. Next thing I know he puts on a white belt and wrecks me in the open. He didn’t sub me but he scored like 6 takedowns. 

I only won 1 of 3 matches that day. Good experience overall. 

• Props 1

Just now, fat ralphy said:

There is always open class - my first tournament I got wrecked by a dude who was probably 80lbs lighter but he had college wrestling background.

I saw him walking around before the tournament, ears completely cauliflowered.....figure he was an advanced belt. Next thing I know he puts on a white belt and wrecks me in the open. He didn’t sub me but he scored like 6 takedowns. 

I only won 1 of 3 matches that day. Good experience overall. 

i'm planning on competing also 

tbh, i'm scared as fuck

do you ever worry about injuries....that's number 1 fear

On 2/6/2021 at 6:34 PM, glorydays said:

i'm planning on competing also 

tbh, i'm scared as fuck

do you ever worry about injuries....that's number 1 fear

I never worried about injuries- for the most part I think BJJ guys as a whole do their best not to harm their opponents. There are outliers and for sure white/blue belt level probably most dangerous but I think competition is a great experience.

I have only competed 3 times in my 8 years but I am gad for the experience and will definitely compete again. Gives you a great sense of how you compare to other schools, other levels of commitment to training etc. 

• Props 1

14 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

I never worried about injuries- for the most part I think BJJ guys as a whole do their best not to harm their opponents. There are outliers and for sure white/blue belt level probably most dangerous but I think competition is a great experience.

I have only competed 3 times in my 8 years but I am gad for the experience and will definitely compete again. Gives you a great sense of how you compare to other schools, other levels of commitment to training etc. 

thanks for that bro.

tbh i'm getting my legs wet again

i'm catching up with my old self....it feels fucking good

the flow is coming back

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Recently copped a combat base club membership.

I dont know what you guys think of chris haueter, but ive been watching alot of his vids lately.

I have to admit that, although some of his techniques are "outdated", jiujiteros tend to forget some of the stuff he talks about.

HEAD, HANDS, HIPS

• 2 weeks later...

Trained this evening. There was a new brown belt, big dude around 245lbs so that was perfect for me. Only my second class since November- so my game was pretty shit but still got him with a sneaky submission during specific training.

Let him play top game when we rolled and spent the whole round defending on bottom, which sucked but still not bad for having been MIA for months/post covid etc

I am vaccinated (2nd shot was 7 days ago) but still not a big fan of rolling with everyone. Idk.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 2:36 PM, fat ralphy said:

@glory days you brown belt too?

Trained with my friend who is a black belt - he is at Ralph Gracie SF currently. Set up in his garage, now I want to get a couple Zebra mats.

Dude wrecked me - has been a BB for 6 years. Had so many good pointers.

I fucking wish.

I'm a 3 stripe white belt.

I'm never getting promoted 🤣 

• Props 1

• 3 weeks later...

@glorydays yes dude 100% - I have had a rough fucking 12 months and BJJ helps me so much. Feels like the time I have on the mats my head clears up and I always feel better afterwards.

We have a big brown belt - college state champ wrestling etc. He can get me into trouble, last week he almost choked me out but I got saved by the bell. Good to have someone that is a challenge for me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

We have a big brown belt - college state champ wrestling etc. He can get me into trouble, last week he almost choked me out but I got saved by the bell. Good to have someone that is a challenge for me.

• LOL! 1

12 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

@glorydays yes dude 100% - I have had a rough fucking 12 months and BJJ helps me so much. Feels like the time I have on the mats my head clears up and I always feel better afterwards.

I feel you, broski

I feel invincible afterward

I hate the wrestlers cuz those cocky dipshits like only 2 things

Hand fighting and shooting