Unofficial Jiu Jitsu thread

glorydays

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

So far I have entered 3 tourneys - one at white and two at blue. Placed twice (2nd, 3rd) - the other there was no one in my division.

Been a purple belt for about 2 years and have not competed yet - been plagued with injury and life turmoil. 

I have promised myself that I will compete at each belt level. 

17 hours ago, iloveboxcars said:

Not live rolled yet?

You at a Gracie Barra?

MMA gym. It took me almost 8 months before I was sparring/kickboxing. Assuming there's a similar period of time we're supposed to just focus on technique/drilling before they get us rolling. Quite frankly, I think it would be useless, or at least may even lead to developing a bad technique if I was cut loose and rolling now. I still find myself using my strength occasionally, or giving up the back way too much. Also, our gym seems to attract a lot of people that are unsafe/unstable to spar with, and sometimes that's not easy to pick that up until it's too late. They let a "just making sure" period of time pass before students get invited into the more advanced courses to help protect the lower belts like myself.

This fucking back injury is shit. 

Trained last night - I dominated for the most part but I really only have like an hours worth of gas now and my lower back is feeling a little out of wack today.

I need to lose some weight - my motivation for weight loss is shit and my motivation for pizza is high. 

• 2 weeks later...

Went too crazy with dead lifts and my lower back is sore. Had to sit out this week.

Also about to go to Maui.

Also lazy and ate a hamburger and fries today.

I did recently sign up for a subscription to romwod which is an app or website that has a new 20ish minute video of yoga every day. its like 12 dollars a month. I'm liking it so far.

4 hours ago, iloveboxcars said:

Went too crazy with dead lifts and my lower back is sore. Had to sit out this week.

About a month and a half ago i threw out my back doing deadlifts (#oldmanproblems)...2nd set, 5th or 6th rep and my upper back was fucked....i was out of the gym for 3 and a half weeks and gained weight.. hella bummed out about it... the pain is still there but not as bad as when it first happened..i tried icing it, heating it, massage, 2 different massagers, tens unit, salonpas patches, icy hot patches, foam roller, stretching, hot showers, sombra, and finally cupping. 

I need a fucking back transplant. 

I went for a triangle Nov. of last year - dude stood up and stretched me out pretty good.

The next day my back was hella sore. Got a massage (mistake) - day after that I could barely walk. Missed 7+ days of work.....complete agony. Even when I went back to work I could hardly walk.

Now 9 months later, I am much better but still get pain.

I have taken it super easy and been pretty lax in training overall. Instructor got on me a but yesterday because I packed it in a little early - gave me the whole “your purple belt, soon you be brown belt Ralphy you need to just train.”

Fuck it man. I am making progress - some days after work and dealing with kids I dont even want to go train. 

Soon enough I will be back to 3 times a week, thats pretty much all I can do considering my schedule.

Choked the shit out of one of our purple belts yesterday. Guy is really technical and I like training with him - caught him slipping though.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Going to bump this since it's something I'm in the midst of at the moment.

Have a few friends out here that have been trying to talk me into joining a Judo / BJJ gym and then got hit up by the same gym to start printing their tees and assist with marketing and rebuilding their product strategy so suddenly find myself scrambling to get up to speed. Will likely start up myself in the sprint when I have the business a little more stabilized so I can afford to split and actually commit to the sport, but in the meantime I still need submerge myself to whatever extent for the client gig side of this.

That said, hoping you guys into the sport and especially those into style and culture ( @glorydaysfor example), can share some links to sites / IG accounts for notable brands in that space or notable brands that are recognizing it.

I'll keep you guys posted on how things go...

• Like 2

On 1/25/2020 at 5:22 PM, misteraven said:

Going to bump this since it's something I'm in the midst of at the moment.

Have a few friends out here that have been trying to talk me into joining a Judo / BJJ gym and then got hit up by the same gym to start printing their tees and assist with marketing and rebuilding their product strategy so suddenly find myself scrambling to get up to speed. Will likely start up myself in the sprint when I have the business a little more stabilized so I can afford to split and actually commit to the sport, but in the meantime I still need submerge myself to whatever extent for the client gig side of this.

That said, hoping you guys into the sport and especially those into style and culture ( @glorydaysfor example), can share some links to sites / IG accounts for notable brands in that space or notable brands that are recognizing it.

I'll keep you guys posted on how things go...

I love the entire lifestyle and culture surrounding BJJ and the people who participate in it.

It's all very similar to skateboarding to me, which is very close to my heart. So, the transition to BJJ wasn't too much of a leap as the mindset that i had has always been there.

It's also a skill that i believe everyone on the planet should have, which is, not just self-defense, but the ability to be fully aware and in full control of your whole body.

With that said, I believe that a change in thinking is the first thing that every beginner will need to go through.

You need to be process oriented as opposed to goal oriented, meaning, you shouldn't have a stopping point in the future that you would want to land on.

Progress should be on-going and perpetual in BJJ. There's always new techniques to learn in BJJ, enough so, that you would have an endless amount to learn from the sport.

And the community is so tight knit. It's always so positive. BJJ is not something you do on your own, and even if you did, you wouldn't get too far on your own.

As far as the style, BJJ in and of itself just looks fucking awesome. There are brands that are so attached to the sport, that when people talk about gi's or streetwear, these brands are brought up immediately.

And the photographs that BJJ bring about, damn, son. It looks fucking rad. So dynamic. I'll post some examples and brands below.

@shoyoroll

@albinoandpreto

@jiujitero

@brand93

@undefeated_uactp

@wedefyfoundation

@nousdefions

@dualforces

@magikimono

image.thumb.png.8c6ac047ccc2f708637a6f4880d0d145.png

image.png.0cdc08bf2f2f69fd696e81e95435967d.png

image.thumb.png.b0639861ce2bf625aa09e1625a1e10dd.png

image.png.fd3303094396c97a0d518ba526eb445a.png

image.thumb.png.7c472fb874973d830ce4ccaca36eabbf.png

image.thumb.png.6477fd797f21faa5f07b1a40ad8710cd.pngimage.thumb.png.f7136a30b925bcab19794c7aac8ef377.png

Edited by glorydays
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, misteraven said:

@glorydaysThanks man, keep posting links and I'll check them out. I'm 6'2'' and about 180 - 185 currently. Assuming I'm a A2XL, but not sure.

I'd say you're a A2 Long or just a regular A3

I would HIGHLY recommend subscribing to one of my favorite bloggers JACK SLACK

https://www.patreon.com/JackSlack/

He is a combat writer who breaks down fights and techniques

and one of my favorite photographers works for undefeated

https://www.instagram.com/bogblast/?hl=en

40110650_234243674101533_1530876960811661040_n.jpg

40264259_104122113842516_4514888768737417735_n.jpg

40504614_289828151611227_832641967328046685_n.jpg

53708730_1095109030671789_2537582595952143865_n.jpg

57038503_1529528597180781_5633799095420069559_n.jpg

59461339_652964618508703_9084991622583528275_n.jpg

59785851_411868786301688_698298752843845205_n.jpg

Edited by glorydays
  • Like 1

@glory daysThings are going pretty well. I've been doing 2 classes a week bjj but not at an actual bjj gym, it's in an MMA gym (Tiger Schulman's). Because of this, we train bjj a little different, obviously no gi, and the main difference we have is training to avoiding strikes on the ground, and some of the illegal bjj takedowns/slams that a bjj gym wouldn't focus on primarily.

As far as how I'm doing I love it. Feels like I'm actually learning bjj faster, even though I've only been doing 2 classes a week for less than a year, than I am doing 3 kickboxing classes a week for twice as long. Still get tapped by upper belts as to be expected but probably in the top of my class as far as people who started around the same time as me even though I'm in my 40's now. I think a lot of that is from me never having wrestled, or done any sort of grappling. I'm fighting an uphill battle on correcting heavily ingrained  poor technique in kickboxing, having self trained poor technique when I was younger. Starting bjj with a clean slate has made learning easier I guess. I've just started actually hitting submissions (granted on other lower belts) more often than not when rolling.

Leaving NYC end of February, and definably doing the most reputable bjj gym in Denver I can afford, or commute to when I get there. I'll probably make use of those gi links you posted in here pretty soon unless they require an in house buy.

• Props 1

42 minutes ago, Mercer said:

@glory daysThings are going pretty well. I've been doing 2 classes a week bjj but not at an actual bjj gym, it's in an MMA gym (Tiger Schulman's). Because of this, we train bjj a little different, obviously no gi, and the main difference we have is training to avoiding strikes on the ground, and some of the illegal bjj takedowns/slams that a bjj gym wouldn't focus on primarily.

As far as how I'm doing I love it. Feels like I'm actually learning bjj faster, even though I've only been doing 2 classes a week for less than a year, than I am doing 3 kickboxing classes a week for twice as long. Still get tapped by upper belts as to be expected but probably in the top of my class as far as people who started around the same time as me even though I'm in my 40's now. I think a lot of that is from me never having wrestled, or done any sort of grappling. I'm fighting an uphill battle on correcting heavily ingrained  poor technique in kickboxing, having self trained poor technique when I was younger. Starting bjj with a clean slate has made learning easier I guess. I've just started actually hitting submissions (granted on other lower belts) more often than not when rolling.

Leaving NYC end of February, and definably doing the most reputable bjj gym in Denver I can afford, or commute to when I get there. I'll probably make use of those gi links you posted in here pretty soon unless they require an in house buy.

that's great! the focus on no-gi and no-holds barred approach reminds me of the bjj gym in cali called "10th planet"

They focus on combat technique as opposed to comp, even tho 10th planet has some of the best competitors out there

I, myself, have to unlearn giving up my back so easily in side guard position.

And good luck in Denver! there are some really good bjj gyms in Colorado

• Props 1