american politics 2016 elections thread

breakfast menu

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-nevada bump! let's do this! first, some answers

With Jeb out of the race, one has to wonder where will his votes go? One will go to Rubio, the other will go to Cruz.

rubio's the favorite for this question, even though the two drew a lotta blood from each other.

there are a lot of jeb! voters who simply can't stomach ted cruz for verrry valid reasons.

kasich is picking off some of jeb!'s voters too,

I fear Cruz, very much and think he will be worse than Bush in terms of foreign policy.

I reckon Trump would find a way to get himself impeached somehow.

Hillary would likely be more of the establishment and Sanders would grow a goatee and cook us all some southern fried chicken.

cruz is personally calculating and i could see him trying to pull that on the international stage and fuck it up. as he tried to pivot and scoop up rand paul voters, he tried to use his words and talk knowingly about targeted and limited intervention options, but he's a texan and his base wants some fucking firepower. i believe that's what he would aim for - and find a way to get a new, even wider AUMF (auth. for use of military force) and sink us into new foreign entanglements.

-------

guys, scalia is dead. (finally. thank god. fuck that guy.) let's talk about it -- it leaves the US supreme court split at an even 4-4.

the 9th justice would sway the court in one direction or another -- liberal or conservative. senate republicans have already vouched not to even meet with whomever obama nominates, which is more of a "fuck yeah feels great" move than a calculated/tactical move. in fact, it was pretty stupid.

by declaring a blanket ban, senate republicans blew their load too early; knowing that the nominee will be blocked, obama has leeway to nominate whomever will make the GOP look even worse to independents and moderates. a woman? a hispanic candidate? (nevada's brian sandoval is often mentioned - a moderate hispanic republican who AFAIK is centerish on abortion and immigration issues).

the possibilities are endless. one thing's for sure: the GOP fucked this up.

i think it also plays against those senate seats they're so delicately holding onto. republican senators in democratic swing states have to contend with two big charges now:

- the inevitable trump question (do you support him) which will become an attack ad almost regardless of the answer

- the obstruction question - why are you refusing to do your job and vote on a supreme court justice?

and that's before we get to the issue of splitting a ticket - voting for a different-partied presidential and senate candidate. it has happened before and will likely happen in 2016, but it will work against some candidates like Kelly Ayotte (R-NH), who play moderate and would be hurt by an association with trump that would be inherent should he get the nomination.

the senate is so important because if democrats win it back, it matters less who's in the white house.

nevada and south carolina and new hampshire showed that donald trump has the ability to win around the country and will likely continue to do so, even if his wins were sloppy and (in nevada's case) probably illegal in places. he's going to wreck shit on super tuesday in states across the south. i see this becoming a three-man GOP race after march 1st.

DEMS: bernie's life-or-death test is super tuesday. clinton ran away with the black vote in nevada by something like 3-to-1. if that trend holds, sanders is fucked.

the GOP class collectively melted down at how badly the NV caucuses were ran. they made iowa look like the german army.

So there’s all sorts of reports rolling in on social media about shenanigans going on at the Nevada caucus tonight. Here are some of the best:

Ballots being tucked under envelopes.

Voters not being checked for ID.

This is what Trump rule looks like.#NVcaucus pic.twitter.com/J5n3L2XsZ0

— Josh Jordan (@NumbersMuncher) February 24, 2016

RNC claims the "Chaos is contained" as more and more pictures of Trump supporters working the caucus sites surface. pic.twitter.com/iU5iOtqBoE

Running out of ballots after people receiving multiple ballots.

Workers in Trump gear not checking IDs.#NVcaucus pic.twitter.com/PSU76LYASC

New: People registered for precinct 1303 in Sierra Vista showed up to caucus. There was literally no site set up.

— Elaina Plott (@elainaplott) February 24, 2016

Updated quote from source: "40-50 loose ballots on table." Counter looked at them, put them under envelopes. Wouldn't budge when called out.

Elderly couple calls Rubio line: "We've been registered R's our whole life. They said we weren't in the system."

I asked Rubio source what RNC said over phone: "Man, I'm sorry."

More from Rubio source: "They didn't ID one of our staff. We alerted the site manager." This is at Bonanza High School.

Text from Rubio source in NV: "This is a shit show."

@marcorubio sad when u go to your caucus location and the guy collecting votes wears a Trump shirt and hat! Wow! pic.twitter.com/sfE2ocnGr5

— VC (@VicCaserta) February 24, 2016

@TeamMarcoNV just wrong that the guy collecting votes wears Trump shirt/hat! Did he change my vote? #NVforMarco pic.twitter.com/HqKXIYLpsb

— VC (@VicCaserta) February 24, 2016

@MarcACaputo poll workers. pic.twitter.com/if7Hkk51E1

— Letty Burgin (@LettyBurgin) February 24, 2016

there are at least 7 at my location.

— Letty Burgin (@LettyBurgin)

Is it also legal for poll works to give out campaign contact info
?

— Letty Burgin (@LettyBurgin)

UPDATE:

It is chaos here at Palo Verde HS. No one knows where their precinct is, tons of people streaming in.

— Emily Cahn (@CahnEmily)

Man here says "it's a disaster." No one is checking in or checking IDs. They're handing out ballots willy nilly. Some guy voted trump twice

The check in tables. Volunteers look overwhelmed.

Caucus chaos at Palo Verde HS in Summerlin NV

— Bill Clark (@billclarkphotos)

Second woman says no one checked her ID. She was just handed a ballot. She says it's very scary.

Now an announcement that they ran out of ballots. They "weren't expecting a crowd this size."

Party officials are reviewing reports of double voting, & there is a process in place to review. Chaos is contained, says
official

After witnessing that caucus in Summerlin, only spoke to 2 ppl who said ID problem. Bigger problem was lack of organization.

Apparently it’s legal in Nevada to advertise for a candidate at the polling sites. So that’s not as big a deal as the other issues where it seems there really could be some irregularities that might need to cheating.

CNN's Jake Tapper says on air that reporters are looking into NV allegations to confirm reports. Will bring news as it is confirmed.

— Amanda Carpenter (@amandacarpenter)

Let’s sum it up shall we?

Results must be invalidated, Nevada GOP dissolved, Nevada's statehood revoked

— Allahpundit (@allahpundit)

Yeah, pretty much.

Meanwhile, I hear Sean Hannity is horrified at Fox News to find out that poll workers are cheating and NOT wearing Trump gear!!

source (warning - terrible website):

i see this becoming a three-man GOP race after march 1st.

yeah, after super tuesday kasich and carson will be out.....i think many of their supporters will go with rubio...then once cruz bows out, trump will win over rubio.

sanders has good momentum but eventually I see Hillary coming out on top.

trump vs rodham......i pray to God that trump loses.

sad to see the gop candidates acting like little high school students talking shit about each other rather than talking about the issues.

yesterday, i watched 30 minutes of a trump speech and about 15 minutes of a rubio speech randomly, and not a single mention of isis, north korea, syria, homeless, jobs, tuition, etc etc.....it was just about sweating, peeing in your pants, makeup, david duke, mispelled tweets, etc etc...pathetic

• 2 weeks later...
yeah, after super tuesday kasich and carson will be out.....i think many of their supporters will go with rubio...then once cruz bows out, trump will win over rubio.

boy was i wrong..carson did leave but kasich is sticking around to see if he'll win ohio....and rubio is sticking around to see if he'll win florida.....i really thought that the remaining voters would coalesce around rubio but looks like they are coalescing around cruz instead....regardless, once rubio and kasich bow out, and some of the delegates in the upcoming primaries go to cruz, i still think trump will win the republican nomination....where hillary will go on to win....i like bernie's momentum, but i dont think its enough to overtake hillary.

I'm curious to know as to how they'd do that?

I had to actually register is a Dem 3 months ago to make sure I could vote for Bernie in my caucus--Registered independents have no say in a caucus vote. I don't think Rs knew they'd be losing their party back when it was time to register.

boy was i wrong..carson did leave but kasich is sticking around to see if he'll win ohio....and rubio is sticking around to see if he'll win florida.....i really thought that the remaining voters would coalesce around rubio but looks like they are coalescing around cruz instead....regardless, once rubio and kasich bow out, and some of the delegates in the upcoming primaries go to cruz, i still think trump will win the republican nomination....where hillary will go on to win....i like bernie's momentum, but i dont think its enough to overtake hillary.

i'm not sure why kasich is sticking around. popular opinion is that he's hoping to land a vp pick from someone but at this point he's just acting as a spoiler for the other two.

predictions mean nothing in this cycle - nothing! - but if i know cruz i know kasich is too "liberal" to pick as a vp. kasich's support for common core and expansion of medicaid under obamacare will damn him. cruz has come this far on his crazy ass alone - i don't see him compromising now.

that said, i don't know who he'd pick for vp. he's not made many friends out here.

bernie is 100,000% done. couldn't sew up the black voters he needed.

sorry y'all.

I had to actually register is a Dem 3 months ago to make sure I could vote for Bernie in my caucus--Registered independents have no say in a caucus vote.

It might be different from state to state, but that was not the case for me. I'm an independent,but I am allowed to vote in the democratic primary election.

Here's what I received in the mail last month (verbatim):

"Dear permanent vote by mail voter:

You are registered as a non partisan voter. The american independent party, democratic party and libertarian party are allowing voters who have not disclosed a preference for any political party, to vote their party's ballot. For this presidential primary election, check the box of the party you wish to vote for below. This will not change your registration for future elections. If no party is chosen..."

then it goes on to repeat that message in spanish and then chinese.

i'm not sure why kasich is sticking around. popular opinion is that he's hoping to land a vp pick from someone but at this point he's just acting as a spoiler for the other two.

predictions mean nothing in this cycle - nothing! - but if i know cruz i know kasich is too "liberal" to pick as a vp. kasich's support for common core and expansion of medicaid under obamacare will damn him. cruz has come this far on his crazy ass alone - i don't see him compromising now.

that said, i don't know who he'd pick for vp. he's not made many friends out here.

bernie is 100,000% done. couldn't sew up the black voters he needed.

sorry y'all.

Im not sure why Kasich is sticking around either. Maybe it's the anti-trump republicans advising him to stay hoping that Kasich can split the vote enough to create a contested convention, so they can choose someone other than trump...or maybe thats just my own personal conspiracy theory lol....but youre right, as ted cruz would say "a vote for kasich is a vote for trump"

apparently youre right...predictions mean nothing because everything that is going on this year is so unpredictable!

who do you guys think hillary will choose for vp? elizabeth warren??

I have decided that I am not voting this year. The state I live in has already decided who they are voting for, and it is against who I want. Way to much difference in numbers for my vote to make a difference. State is way too red to change anytime soon.

By voting I would be registering to be called up for jury duty, and fuck all that.

• Like 1

By voting I would be registering to be called up for jury duty, and fuck all that.

Im not sure what state youre in but in California, jury duty is based on a drivers licence....i was called into jury duty a bunch of times from the ages of 18 to 28 (i didnt register to vote until 28....cause of apathy).

but if you really want an easy way out of jury duty, just commit a felony.

• Like 1

Im not sure what state youre in but in California, jury duty is based on a drivers licence....i was called into jury duty a bunch of times from the ages of 18 to 28 (i didnt register to vote until 28....cause of apathy).

but if you really want an easy way out of jury duty, just commit a felony.

yup, my state thought it was mad stupid of people to go that route

hooked it up to driver's licenses like 10 years ago.

and in my city, there is so much crime that you have to have served at least 6 months in jail in order to get off jury duty

convictions alone won't do it

I have decided that I am not voting this year. The state I live in has already decided who they are voting for, and it is against who I want. Way to much difference in numbers for my vote to make a difference. State is way too red to change anytime soon.

Understandable. Especially considering the likely candidates.