The Hip Hop Thread

Brink

6 hours ago, luhem said:

oooof that krs1 track - ultra classic ! I’ve never seen that Asher Roth vid . dope shit

Can’t wait to see NYC like that again , trippy seeing videos of how it is now . . 

That Asher video makes me want to try Shake Shack... that burger looks good. 

My city was supposed to get one months ago... guess I'm gonna have to wait now. 

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yeah...im feelin that 1st beat ..RIP Dilla.

I've always been a busta fan....broke 15 year old kid but still copped the Got you all in Check single on cassette...bought the extinction level event album on cd the first week it came out when i was 17.

a few years later I ran into him here in cali with his secuity guard.

love his music but in real life he's a dick.

i still listen to his shit, but i wont buy his music again

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CALIgula said:

yeah...im feelin that 1st beat ..RIP Dilla.

I've always been a busta fan....broke 15 year old kid but still copped the Got you all in Check single on cassette...bought the extinction level event album on cd the first week it came out when i was 17.

a few years later I ran into him here in cali with his secuity guard.

love his music but in real life he's a dick.

i still listen to his shit, but i wont buy his music again

fucc really ?!?! god damnit , “never meet your heroes” 

all the shit I’m into is your gen stuff man , boom bap / 90s golden era stuff . I learned about all this shit from my uncle and swiping music from his cd tower in my grandmas garage when I was in elementary school . late 90s / early 2000’s Hip hop will always be my shit 

only person I’ve ever met face to face was questlove . Was during Kobe’s all star weekend party 2011 here in LA - uncles friend was doing security and got us in . I remember Matt Barnes was in line behind us while he was playing for the lakers hahaha . ?uestlove was kinda hidden in a corner by the ground floor bar with this fine Japanese girl . when she left for the bar I went up to him and fucking full on blanked , hit him with a “yo I dig your music man . . The roots my favorite band” . he laughed and said “ayyy thank you !!!” then I dipped when the lady came back , epic night

lil Dilla tribute from the legendary roots crew :

Edited by luhem
  • Truth 1

I started listening to Hip Hop when i was 7 or 8 years old (1988)... can't remember which song got me into Hip Hop but it was either Parents Just Don't Understand by dj jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince,  Posse on Broadway by sir mix a lot, or Sally (that girl) by the Gucci crew... up until Hip Hop it was pretty much anything Michael Jackson...i got thriller on vinyl as a gift from my mom's cousin and had Bad on cassette tape... but my cousin from L.A. really got me into some good Hip Hop... being in Sacramento, we were limited on what we could find... you could find some good shit from tower records (that actually started in sac) or you could listen to ebro's "flava show" on 102.5 (yes, the same ebro that's in new York now) or you could listen to kdvs.. which was the local college radio from uc davis... but other than that,  l.a. was playing all the new shit and had the new trends (my cousin put me up on cross colors and i was one of the first teenagers here in sac wearing that shit)... all through the 90s I'd call my cousin and ask him to put me up on the new shit while keeping an ear to the underground radio shows .

Matt Barnes is from sac .. went to Del campo high school and always has been a dick lol... he lived in my other cousin's apartments in marina Del rey... didn't care for him the couple times he played for the kings... meeting ?uestlove would be cool but id rather meet black thought... hands down Black Thought is in my top 10 emcees of all times. 

Ive met a lot of emcees and most have been really cool... krs1, snoop, 50cent, fabulous, spliff star, dead prez, slum village,  digital underground..i even met Warren G a few months ago...i met Russell Simmons, lil cease, and puffy in NYC but they don't really count... my cousin from l.a. flew up to sac a couple of years ago to roll to a dj premier show... small venue.. ended up going back stage and meeting him too.. one of the nicest guys. 

But for me the true golden years will be everything from 88 to 03... the way i look at it, Hip Hop music started in 73... from 73 to 88 is the first 15 years which i appreciate now but didn't really get into... then 88 to 2003 which is the 2nd 15 years which im all about then 2004 to now  which is 3rd 15 years where rap music has fallen off... sure, there are some dope underground cats and old school heads still doing their thing, but in general it's fallen off..i still listen to the classics but ive found myself listening to other genres of music more now

• Like 1
  • Props 1

• 4 weeks later...