MLB 2011.. never to early thread!

KARD like WOE

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supposedly he isnt a strike out pitcher. That is troubling for me. I mean... if he can put the ball on the ground thats good and all but I feel more comfortable with a guy that shuts bats down

Strike out pitchers are a double edged sword. If they're really good, it's great. But a large portion of the time, they're gonna end up with a really high pitch count and you're gonna end up going to your bullpen far earlier than you'd like.

Issue with pitch to contact guys is they have to keep it down in the zone and not let people lace line drives into the gaps/corners. If they can keep people mostly hitting infield grounders, they're gonna go way deeper in the game than your average, non-ace strikeout pitcher.

Ideally, I'm a fan of the players who can pitch to contact, but have that one strikeout pitch for when they get up 0-2, 1-2 and 2-2 in the count. Going out there and trying to strike out every batter leads to a lot of 5+ pitch at bats, which doesnt work out great for a lot of starters. I mean, if you have the bullpen to carry them, or they're the type of person who can consistently throw 100+ pitches and maintain control/velocity, by all means.

I guess what I'm saying is that it isn't nearly as black and white in my book as "pitch to contact is better than strike out" or vice versa. Gotta look at their ability to go deep in the game, the defense behind them, the relief staff, the run support their offense can provide, etc.

Edit: Also, I gotta agree that that deal seems really fucking lopsided in favor of the Tigers.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/6261/scott-baker

Scott Baker, when he's on, has been a great example this year of a pitch to contact guy who has been getting a ton of strikeouts when he's up in the count. He'll throw pitch to contact style balls to start the count/if he's down in the count, but he has a mean slider and high fastball that he'll pitch while up in the count and get people out swinging. Granted, when he's not on point, he'll give up some blasts, but his WHIP is really good and he won't give many free passes.

All the trade rumors about Denard Span have me nervous as fuck that Bill Smith is going to make yet another terrible trade and give away a spectacular lead off guy and center fielder for some relief pitching, while convincing himself that Revere is ready to be full time leadoff and CF. We need some relief help badly, but not at that cost.

Fuck my life. Really sounding like we're gonna trade Span for Storen. Obviously there will be some secondary players in there. If Revere's arm wasn't atrocious and his OBP wasn't incredibly mediocre, i might not be so frustrated...but it is.

Watch as we toss away a cheap, spectacular lead off guy and outfielder for fucking reliever. And a reliever who will probably be sharing 8th inning duties with Glen Perkins.

"Span, 27, is set to earn approximately $330,000 over the final two months of the year. He'll then be owed $3 million in 2012, $4.75 million in 2013, $6.5 million in 2014, and $9 million in 2015 if the Twins choose to exercise a team option.

That's just over $23 million total being paid to Span through 2015 -- a time period that extends through most of his prime years."

WHY THE FUCK WOULD WE EVEN CONSIDER TRADING HIM?

Cleveland got Ubaldo. Feeling a little bit better about the Span trade now that a triple A SS/2B is in the mix too, but still pissed. I'm not happy about the prospect of losing our leadoff man and relying on Ben Revere to get on base at a decent clip.

edit: guess the Ubaldo deal isnt done yet.

Alex Rios dogged an easy single with a guy on second and because he took

his sweet ass time to get the ball back in, guy on second scored.

He did that two weeks ago. He fucking costing us runs needs to end, quick.

He wonders why Ozzie benched him last game.

Brunney looked..., god fucking awful in relief.

Oh man, Verlander no hitter through 7, Weaver just got ejected and I'm willing to bet will catch a suspension.

Edit: ha, as I say that, Aybar reaches on a bunt, but it's scored as an error.

Edit 2: And error #2 by Verlander, which leads to a run scored. Scored as a fielder's choice, so still a no-hitter.

As much as I like to see no hitters, I'd wayyyyyyyyyyy rather see Detroit fall apart and lose this one.

Edit 3: Success. No hitter gone. Angels are now only down by 1

On a semi related note, I really dislike all the crying about people bunting during no-hit bids. "oh booo hooo, you don't bunt when someone is pitching a no hitter, wah wah wah." Teams are out there to win, and people lay down bunt singles all the time. Why is it suddenly so frowned upon to use anything you've got to get someone on base, regardless of if the game is perfect or a no-hitter or whatever?

People love to talk about unwritten rules, but at the end of the day everyone should be out there trying to win unless it's some ridiculous blowout where you're trying to do whatever you can to save some bullpen for your next games. Same thing with people crying about teams stealing when they're up by a handful of runs. As if we don't see big comeback innings all the fucking time. I mean, I understand not stealing or bunting singles or whatever when it's 16-0, but people on this board for the Detroit vs Angels game are all up in arms about the Aybar bunt, when the game was only 3-0. And guess what? Now it's 3-2.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bPKkXCp35s here's the video of the homer, and then the ejection on the next batter. It'll probably get pulled soon and will probably also be on espn or somewhere better quality. classless on all sides, to be quite honest. Sure, Weaver was being a bitch, but you don't stand there after hitting a homer, stare down the pitcher, then fucking sidestep down half the line while still staring the pitcher down. Weaver throwing at Avila's head was a huge bitch move, but I definitely wouldn't have felt bad if he plunked him in the ribs or something

regardless, Avila wasn't responsible for the affront. If anything you let your self cool down and if that dont work wait for Guillen's next at bat and clip him instead. I'm sure Verlander doesn't care about the bunt. Weaver should be fined and suspended. I dont care how good your control is you dont throw a ball at someones head

Fuck my life. Really sounding like we're gonna trade Span for Storen. Obviously there will be some secondary players in there. If Revere's arm wasn't atrocious and his OBP wasn't incredibly mediocre, i might not be so frustrated...but it is.

Watch as we toss away a cheap, spectacular lead off guy and outfielder for fucking reliever. And a reliever who will probably be sharing 8th inning duties with Glen Perkins.

"Span, 27, is set to earn approximately $330,000 over the final two months of the year. He'll then be owed $3 million in 2012, $4.75 million in 2013, $6.5 million in 2014, and $9 million in 2015 if the Twins choose to exercise a team option.

That's just over $23 million total being paid to Span through 2015 -- a time period that extends through most of his prime years."

WHY THE FUCK WOULD WE EVEN CONSIDER TRADING HIM?

God, I was shitting bricks up until 3 PM yesterday when the no-waiver trade window ended.

That would have been a really bad, bad move. One of the best lead-off hitters in the majors who still has a ton of upside and locked in through arbitration years for a bunch of fucking relief pitchers and a 2B. Both Blackburn's and Pavano's last two starts each are evidence that we could really use a different starter or coach, even. And no way Ben Revere could take over an every day CF role. Absolutely not - still too rough around the edges and there is most likely going to be the sophomore slump in 2012 (like Danny Valencia, Jason Heyward, Brennan Boesch, et al).

Basically, if that deal went through, we would probably be just as bad next season. In the meantime, place Slowey on waivers, non-tender Delmon in the winter, sign Cuddyer and Nathan to reduced contracts, and work something out with Kubel because we will NEED a DH. Then maybe send Butera back to minors and get a grinding catcher with proven MLB experience (I wonder what the contract status of the Molinas are) to back up Joe Mauer when he's playing 1B, DH, or getting the day off. No Slowey and no Delmon could save us about $10-12mil, as they're both heading into their final years of arbitration and would command more.