Help me name my brewery.

BloodKlot

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pics of said brew system? Is that the tun volume or kettle?

The kettle. Same system as with kegs on a 3 burner setup. But instead of the normal keg it will be a much larger tank so I had to redesign the stand and burner size. I also decided to upgrade to a more automated system and put together a stainless steel tube feed from the HLT to Tun to kettle etc. and added a rotating sparge arm wich I had never had before. I don't have pictures as it is not yet built but when I get a chance I could post the pdf of the new designs. I'll try and find a photo of what my goal is.

Out of a roughly 100L brew system, depending on the size and setup of the mash tun, you could pull a ten hour double batch and end up with about 140-150L of beer. I'm assuming you're using soda kegs? Are you secondary fermenting in the keg or are you looking at doing a bright beer tank set up? I run a three vessel 100L brew system with sparge arms and a custom style whirlpool for the kettle. I'm sure you've thought of it, but at that size make sure you hinge the kettle and the mash tun otherwise you'll have a real time of it when cleaning comes around.

Apart from high alcohol, what is the style of beer you are trying to achieve?

A name that is significant to you is obviously the only way to move on it. If in a few years time you go commercial do you really want the story on the back of the label to read "I asked a bunch of strangers on this graffiti forum what to call my brewery and chose the popular name of Vaj Juice from there"

?

Out of a roughly 100L brew system, depending on the size and setup of the mash tun, you could pull a ten hour double batch and end up with about 140-150L of beer. I'm assuming you're using soda kegs? Are you secondary fermenting in the keg or are you looking at doing a bright beer tank set up? I run a three vessel 100L brew system with sparge arms and a custom style whirlpool for the kettle. I'm sure you've thought of it, but at that size make sure you hinge the kettle and the mash tun otherwise you'll have a real time of it when cleaning comes around.

Apart from high alcohol, what is the style of beer you are trying to achieve?

I was originally thinking corney kegs but I have access to free brand new 30 - 50 gal glass lined water heater and was actually thinking of bulk aging there then keg but I'm still working out the details (fda and whatnot). I could secondary in a tank with less head space if I wanted. I did think about how to clean them afterward and will have hinged false bottoms if that's what you mean.

My usual house brews are a Pale Ale, IPA, Baltic Porter and a Honey Wheat.

The main flagships though are. Triple IPA, Black IIPA, Mint Baltic Porter, Vanilla Espresso Russian Imperial Stout, Strawberry Double Wit (for the ladies) called Panty Grease.

The flagships will be seasonal and the house brews will be year round. I also have a 3 year barleywine I am working on but it's a long process just for a taste.

A name that is significant to you is obviously the only way to move on it. If in a few years time you go commercial do you really want the story on the back of the label to read "I asked a bunch of strangers on this graffiti forum what to call my brewery and chose the popular name of Vaj Juice from there"

?

I don't know. I think I turn to this place for inspiration more than anything. I don't think I would just pick a name somone blurted out but it might make me think of something I hadn't before. Graffiti has played a huge part in my life and I have turned to 12oz for help in that aspect so many times I thought why not with this as well.

And you gotta admit... You'd drink something called Vaj Juice.

Black India sounds interesting. What are you using in the grain bill for the 'black'? I've been throwing around a bit of Caraamber but from the raw taste I'm worried about astringency, so I'm getting more of an SPA colour by only using about a 5% Caraamber addition for the double dark IPA.

We digress though.

If the beer is good enough, it won't really matter what you call it.

AS for the Vaj Juice, haha, it would be a hard label to waltz passed in the bottle shop.

Black India sounds interesting. What are you using in the grain bill for the 'black'? I've been throwing around a bit of Caraamber but from the raw taste I'm worried about astringency, so I'm getting more of an SPA colour by only using about a 5% Caraamber addition for the double dark IPA.

We digress though.

If the beer is good enough, it won't really matter what you call it.

AS for the Vaj Juice, haha, it would be a hard label to waltz passed in the bottle shop.

Carafa III & Black Patent. You get some roasted tones but the nose and finish is all IPA

what kinda neighborhood are you inserting your brew pub into?

I currently live in Seattle and will be moving next summer to Portland for a year so my wife can become a Montisori school teacher and after that I dont know where we will end up. I am looking for a hole in the wall type place. The nano brew may be something as small as a storage unit as long as it qualifies in the legal sense. I will self distribute (hopefully) and keep it small until the name is out there and then open the brewpub. But at this point I am still keeping an eye out.

Deal.

Semper Paratus = Always Ready FYI. Corny? Yes. Easy to pronounce? Yes.

Marxist wouldn't work; it'll start some issues with the old folks who lived through the Cuban Missle Crisis and shit. It's a good sounding name though, that's for sure.

I thought Semper Paratus was good but I just can't go with a latin name. Mayan, Aztec or Incan maybe. If memory serves the Mayan god of fermentation was Acan. Don't know for sure though.