Mexico

mackfatsoe

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure you leave enough ransom money with a trust worthy friend of relative in case the Mexican Police decide they want to kidnap a stupid American.

99% of all kidnappings in mexico are of mexican citizens. only people who get kidnapped are rich locals who the kidnappers know have a large insurance policy just waiting to be used. why kidnap some nobody american? them kidnappers are smart!

when i told some people i was heading down there for the summer, they said this exact same thing, spittin game in overalls is going to be a challenge

EVERYBODY told me that shit. but when i was in mexico city at some polanco area clubs/bars i felt like the biggest scumbag in town. you really can wear some decent clothes and be fine. other areas im not so sure.

Basically most people are still going off info about Mexico that might have been applicable decades ago. Maybe. The water is fine and the country is safe.

Honestly, how many people on this board live in cities where people get shot daily? Then they hear about one drug murder in Mexico near Juarez and they think the whole country is the wild west with machine guns and cartels running around like it's the favela in City of God. Stop watching Fox News.

Guest Ginger Bread Man

for the most part i would avoid tap water as it has not gone through a purifying process however i DO drink tap water at established places like chilis, applebees or other large chain restaurants as all their water is purified.

i would advise what common sense would dictate, that is, when in doubt buy a bottled water instead. 1.5lt costs 10 pesos.

for those who say 1 usd = 10 pesos, i feel sorry for you as you ARE getting ripped off. maybe 3-5 years ago that was the ongoing exchange rate but as of today it is more like 1 usd = 12.5- 13 pesos.

most things <clothes/gas/commodities> are comprable to USD prices. Beer isnt as cheap as you would think, at least not in supermarkets although typical beer price in a bar will be 10-15 pesos and 25-35 in a restaurant with some offering two for one specials.

to whoever said most kidnappings are of natives vs foreigners, you are dead on. ive lived down south for 5 years now and never once have i been robbed/kidnapped and trust me i dress/eat/live well and no, i DO NOT wear overalls.

DO avoid putting yourself in a dangerous situation and you will be alright.

now you ask, what is a dangerous situation?

ill give you a story about a situation my buddy and i got into.

a couple of years ago a buddy of mine came down to vist < white/american> and we went out drinking. we were pretty far into the night, probably 3 am ish when we wanted a change from the bar we were at so we hollered at a cab and told him about a spot i had heard about. he drove us to the general area where i knew the club was at but played the, i cant find it roll and then says, i know some spot where you can probably get laid and us being drunk were all for that proposal. mind you though we didnt think it was going to be un bar de "mala" muerte" so we are like bet lets go.

we end up at this whole in the wall with some dudes scattered around. there were 2 women at the table next to the one we sat at and they kept looking at us in a whats up manner. till this point we hadnt realized what we had gotten ourselves into so we are like bet, come sit and we'll holler. ordered some drinks with these broads and next thing you know this cholo looking dude is like yo whats good can i sit with you guys?, he sits and buys a cubeta and starts being super friendly. and i mean super cool, too cool for someone that looks the way he does and both of us being from chicago and not naive at all are beginging to catch on. we start drinking the cubeta and the dude is like if you want you can take the girls home and we will work something out ill talk to them.

at this point the dude goes to the bathroom and both of us are like WTF is going on this shit keeps getting more and more shady. dude comes back lit as fuck and being one who has dealt with ron heads we know its about time to dip out. we try to pay for drinks and dude is like nah i got you covered and pays everything still trying to be the homie i never had. we start giving each other looks as to how we are going to get the fuck out of there without having a conflict and start saying our farewells. guy is like its not everyday i run into cool guys like you give me your number we will keep in touch and hang out. by now im like fuck that shit but still give him a number so he isnt so much on edge. we manage to dip out without an incident but it was too close for comfort.

later we realized the cab driver took us for a hella spin and being drunk as we were didnt realize it. he also was paid a comission for bringing "clients" to the bar. this on top of the rediculous cab fare he charged us.

if you are street smart, for the most part you will be ok.

what im saying is any situation can go from being super chill to fucking FUCKED in seconds. it all depends on you, if you allow it or in some cases if you were caught off gaurd how much time the motherfucker had to gather enough info to fuck you.

if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. go with your gut instinct. it has saved my life on more than one occaision.